Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is interesting......

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 08:29 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,345 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
These kinds of cars (similar to the ACR) are purpose built for a race track. Hence a rear wing for downforce. They aren't designed to sit in a garage being waxed or drive to Cars and Coffee. Nothing wrong with any of this, but if you don't plan to drive on a race track or don't require the additional downforce provided by a functional wing then you are looking at the wrong car.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:40 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
Pretty sure the ZR1 is gonna be a C7 not a C8.
Yeah don't know why this one got moved
Old 03-23-2017, 09:40 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
Pretty sure the ZR1 is gonna be a C7 not a C8.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:48 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Looks damn good to me....love the nose a LOT!
Old 03-24-2017, 12:25 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Looks very close to what I saw last week. I have a pair of Canon Image Stabilizer Binoculars and was looking at the front end of the ZR1 up close at the Cork Screw where it was going slow. This rendering or whatever it is, appears to be very close to what I saw at Laguna Seca. VERY VERY CLOSE !!!

Last edited by skank; 03-24-2017 at 07:10 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by skank:
bigblock427 (03-24-2017), larryfdx (03-24-2017), Tine (03-25-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 12:31 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Track or no track, I like it. Rear wing and all!!

Looks bad-***!!
The following 2 users liked this post by WICKEDFRC:
larryfdx (03-24-2017), zhopper05 (03-26-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 10:21 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Old 03-24-2017, 01:52 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I bet Women would like that wing. That would be the only reason for me.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:13 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Track or no track, I like it. Rear wing and all!!

Looks bad-***!!
Old 03-24-2017, 10:05 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Looks good, but I'm really hoping they eliminated the goofy spats on the front fenders
Old 03-25-2017, 07:37 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Looks purpose built...strong and aggressive. Always love the hunkered down stance but don't expect it to make production.
Nice!
Old 03-25-2017, 10:49 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Even if you never go to a track the wing still has a purpose: great place to set your cup at the local Car's and Coffee.

If you do go go to a track, it's got to be worth at least 2 seconds.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:34 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

I've always loved the look of the P GT3. Even though completely different platforms, there's a resemblance in the look, including the wing, the beefy black wheels and tires and the lowered riding height, that excites me...I believe Tadge is a P admirer.
Hope the car looks just like this.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
Looks good, but I'm really hoping they eliminated the goofy spats on the front fenders
From what I have seen, the goofy spats will remain. Grand Sport cars are selling with them, why would GM spend the money to design another fender?
Old 03-26-2017, 10:11 AM
TA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Larry/car
From what I have seen, the goofy spats will remain. Grand Sport cars are selling with them, why would GM spend the money to design another fender?
IIRC, the majority opinion of the initial reason for the spats was to retain the stingray front bumper. Now the bumper has obviously been redone, yet the spats still remain
Old 03-26-2017, 02:53 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TA
IIRC, the majority opinion of the initial reason for the spats was to retain the stingray front bumper. Now the bumper has obviously been redone, yet the spats still remain
Wrong, here is the correct technical reason for the spats from Tadge Juechter himself in the Ask Tadge Forum. I suggest you read more of that forum to educate yourself on these aerodynamic functional components.

Quote:
grcor asked:
Can you please tell us why you are not molding the fenders to eliminate the need for spats, protective film, and splash guards?
Quote:
Tadge answered:
All Corvette exterior features and surface shapes are designed for maximum performance and great aesthetics. Around the front wheel openings, both the C6 (Z06, GS and ZR1) and C7 (GS and Z06) feature what you are calling spats arcing down the forward edge. These features create high pressure on the front/top and low pressure on the back/underside resulting in down force and evacuation of hot air from the wheel opening. The aerodynamic studies for both C6 and C7 independently proved their value. To work, they need to be a very specific shape - specifically a sharp break in the surface where the spat meets the fender. I have been asked many times why we couldn't just form that shape from the front fender so it would be all one painted piece instead of looking "tacked on". We looked at that and decided it looked pretty bad when painted bright colors. Your eye is immediately drawn to that feature and it does not look integrated or graceful. Naturally the question is, "If it is so important, why don't we see it on the C7.R race car?" The reason is that the race car sits so low to the ground it can take advantage of even more efficient aerodynamic features such as an "underwing" that sits beneath the front splitter. "Ok, then why don't we see it on other street cars?". Well, actually you do. There are several, typically very serious performance cars that have similar features such as the Porsche GT3RS.

Last edited by skank; 03-26-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:12 PM
TA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by skank
Wrong, here is the correct technical reason for the spats from Tadge Juechter himself in the Ask Tadge Forum. I suggest you read more of that forum to educate yourself on these aerodynamic functional components.

Quote:
grcor asked:
Can you please tell us why you are not molding the fenders to eliminate the need for spats, protective film, and splash guards?
Quote:
Tadge answered:
All Corvette exterior features and surface shapes are designed for maximum performance and great aesthetics. Around the front wheel openings, both the C6 (Z06, GS and ZR1) and C7 (GS and Z06) feature what you are calling spats arcing down the forward edge. These features create high pressure on the front/top and low pressure on the back/underside resulting in down force and evacuation of hot air from the wheel opening. The aerodynamic studies for both C6 and C7 independently proved their value. To work, they need to be a very specific shape - specifically a sharp break in the surface where the spat meets the fender. I have been asked many times why we couldn't just form that shape from the front fender so it would be all one painted piece instead of looking "tacked on". We looked at that and decided it looked pretty bad when painted bright colors. Your eye is immediately drawn to that feature and it does not look integrated or graceful. Naturally the question is, "If it is so important, why don't we see it on the C7.R race car?" The reason is that the race car sits so low to the ground it can take advantage of even more efficient aerodynamic features such as an "underwing" that sits beneath the front splitter. "Ok, then why don't we see it on other street cars?". Well, actually you do. There are several, typically very serious performance cars that have similar features such as the Porsche GT3RS.
You can choose to believe that and I'll choose to believe this........from another thread on the topic.

The GM Corvette engineers actually did want to have a Z06-specific bumper built, which would have been slightly wider and had a larger grille opening. The problem is that GM accountants didn't approve the budget to create the new bumper. It is very costly to do this, as it would have to undergo a full suite of crash-testing and other red tape approvals. So, they did cheap out, and did settle for re-using the base C7 bumper. The spats were an inexpensive way to achieve the aero properties they were looking for, based on a narrow bumper profile. Simply making wider fenders might actually have been worse, getting them to transition well with the narrow bumper. Might even have caused worse aero, for all we know.

Get notified of new replies

To This is interesting......

Old 03-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Tron1
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The installation of the rear wing should be a no cost option...I wouldn't want it on my car
Old 03-27-2017, 10:45 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TA
You can choose to believe that and I'll choose to believe this........from another thread on the topic.
Like Juechter said, there are other cars with the same aero solution which is absolutely true. Look at the Porsche GT3RS. And where did you drag that comment from on your rebuttal? It obviously came from some forum member here who has no affiliation with Team Corvette and has no engineering or design basis for his assessment.

Last edited by skank; 03-28-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:28 PM
Johnny Mayday
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Old render or not, I like the look of this one. And I can understand how folks don't like the wing, but it's not like the Corvette team is just putting it on there for looks. It'll be a functional piece of the car, just like it is with the ACR.

Quick Reply: This is interesting......