Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So why is the Bowling Green Corvette Assembly Plant shutting down for so long?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 12:50 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanAutoSports
Well, in fairness the Corvette has many competitors, just none that are as completely defined, such as Camaro/Mustang. Yes, AMG GT...definitely, as is the Porsche 911. Cayman to me is a tougher sell as a legit comp but....from a price standpoint sure. GT4 is legit if you can get one. There's a different kind of buyer in discussion for those cars though. Not only are those cars carrying a higher price of entry, but also a higher cost of ownership. Merc and Porsche resale drops like a rock without legit maintenance. Corvettes still don't carry that pressure on a resale level.

In addition, the current Corvette buyer pool is still dominated by folks who really still see the Corvette as a pinnacle sports car. Many 50 and 60 somethings want the Americana aspect and with that said, there is no competition for the Corvette. At best maybe the Hellcats and Vipers and side bets displaced a few sales but...not many.

GM recognizes the growth of Porsche in this country. Not to mention, Porsche makes more profit per vehicle than any major manufacturer, go figure. It's a legit threat, and with C7's inception it was clear that the 911 was the target for them. The AMG GT's, Vipers, Hellcats...pretty much a non factor. For Corvette...it's more of a "who is the buyer in 20 yrs" problem.
Some people believe that the Corvette has no competitors as they only look at one data point(0-60, 1/4 mile. time around VIR, etc.). But performance on a race track is not the only thing people look for in a two seat sports car at a given price point, when they open their wallet.

I drive a C6 Z06. My neighbor down the street drives a Mercedes SL roaster. They both cost about the same. We each had a different idea in what we wanted in a $80,000+ two seat car. They are in competition with each other as I could have bought SL roadster(if I wanted quiet luxury) and my neighbor could have bought a Z06(if he wanted loud raw performance).

That's why Mercedes and Porsche are both successfully selling sports cars in the same price range as a base Stingray, yet those same Mercedes and Porsches do not perform as well on the track as the Stingray.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-10-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:24 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

The ME car will have features the FE C8 won't offer. Merely being ME is not what GM is reaching for, take a closer look at the Ferrari 488GTB, Lamborghini Huracan Performante, McLaren 650s, Ford GT....they are packed with leading edge technology. I would expect GM to even take it a step farther with a mild hybrid system that could be added without a huge weight or cost penalty.

The ME and C8 will be two cars separated a mile apart in looks, technology and price. The ME will be a genuine halo car with all the stops pulled out like the GT is for Ford. I'm sure GM's intention is to sell out before the first delivery is made otherwise no point in making it and appearing like second class wannabe compared to Ford GT.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedyD (04-11-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 12:23 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

I personally think the MR will target the 99k-170k range, while positioning itself with cars that run 160k-280k. I think it's appearance will be a departure, but will also be familiar in design (family face, family feel). I think it'll be used to lead out new tech and new advancements that trickle down into the FR platform. I think it'll be a classic HALO for the Corvette brand...walk in to look at the ME, drive out with a 60k Stingray or Grand Sport, etc. The racing side will leverage it for marketing purposes, and HOPEFULLY allow the GT FR cars to continue in GTD/GT3, etc...HOPEFULLY stateside!

I personally don't think it'll be a FordGT at all. FordGT was completely bespoke, versus the Corvette based MR will utilize a lot of sharing to drive cost down. I think the aim at practicality will prevail with the MR car, while elevating the performance level. This won't be a "supercar", it'll be a mid-engine sports car...much like a 570s, NSX, GT3, 458 Italia, etc. Capable of "supercar" grade performance, in a package that still aims at occasional practical use.

I think the hybrid, electric, tech side will come, but I think that will be in the Cadillac variant of the future. Cadillac just got their feet into the DPi Weathertech space with the 6.2 mid engine cars. I think the Caddy brand is eager to be a bit more german, more tech, more advanced, as that's their buyer target. Caddy and Corvette both face the same challenge...their customer base is getting too old to sustain sales long term. Some level of reinvention is necessary...i.e. risk.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:11 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Find out which division foot the bill for the bowling green expansion...

I bet Cadillac division is funding a good portion for their budget...

Find that out and find the truth of what will be coming out of bowling green in the near future.

I believe Cadillac funded the changes to the c5 corvette to create the c6 and the XLR...

I wouldn't be surprised to find out something similiar as the new Cadillac and c8 releases...

This time will be even better
Old 04-17-2017, 11:48 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

The C7 ZR1 or whatever the big wing car is called looked very fast on certain sections of Laguna Seca so whatever arrives with a mid engine will need to be one bad MF.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (04-17-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 01:14 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

More on the BG shutdown:
http://www.thedrive.com/news/9802/co...ntil-late-2018
Old 03-21-2018, 02:19 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

At the risk of being flamed for reviving an older thread, here is a story about the new Cadillac twin-turbo "hot V" V8 being built at the revamped Bowling Green facility:

Quote:
"Two variants of the engine will be offered—each of which will be hand-assembled and personally signed on the Performance Build Center line at the Bowling Green Kentucky Corvette plant."

Story:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/cadil...st-look-review

Seems like very complicated technology and ridiculous underhood space management, just to get 550 HP & 630 ft-lb. I understand the need for Cadillac to distinguish itself but this design... ugh... I would not be surprised to see at least some of the early builds having reliability issues. We will see!
Old 03-21-2018, 03:18 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by DGXR
At the risk of being flamed for reviving an older thread, here is a story about the new Cadillac twin-turbo "hot V" V8 being built at the revamped Bowling Green facility:

Quote:
"Two variants of the engine will be offered—each of which will be hand-assembled and personally signed on the Performance Build Center line at the Bowling Green Kentucky Corvette plant."

Story:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/cadil...st-look-review

Seems like very complicated technology and ridiculous underhood space management, just to get 550 HP & 630 ft-lb. I understand the need for Cadillac to distinguish itself but this design... ugh... I would not be surprised to see at least some of the early builds having reliability issues. We will see!
Hmmmmm like the TT's rumored for the ME
Old 03-21-2018, 08:03 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Not Necessarily!

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
The C7 ZR1 or whatever the big wing car is called looked very fast on certain sections of Laguna Seca so whatever arrives with a mid engine will need to be one bad MF.
Who said it was coming decked out with the big wing/cups.
It just has to do well (and would be more desirable!?) in more conservative street garb, at least to start off.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 03-21-2018 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply: So why is the Bowling Green Corvette Assembly Plant shutting down for so long?