Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Corvette and DOHC LT5

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 12:29 AM
GT Content
Cruising

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C8 Corvette and DOHC LT5

Hey guys,
Here is my analysis on the future LT5 engine and confirmation of the mid-engine C8 Corvette. Let me know what you think.
The following 4 users liked this post by GT Content:
gurneyeagle (05-03-2017), imatur (03-25-2017), TRT SR (03-25-2017), Woods (04-29-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 01:10 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well done!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-29-2017 at 09:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GT Content (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 01:20 PM
JW Gears
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lt-5

Great presentation. You seem to cover all the known points about the old LT-5, and are probably correct. Mercury Marine has closed their Stillwater Oklahoma plant, and has moved all production to their original Fondulac, Wisconsin facility. Not sure if Mercury would get involved.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-29-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:21 PM
imatur
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great content and video! The only comment that I have is that I still do not believe that the C8 will be mid-engine. Not to say that they are not developing a mid-engine, but I think it will be a one off model just like the Ford GT. The problem with a mid-engine is practicality and us 'old' guys like to be able to get golf clubs in the back.

I like your thoughts on the LT5. It will be interesting to see where GM goes with this platform.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:13 PM
GT Content
Cruising

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JW Gears
Great presentation. You seem to cover all the known points about the old LT-5, and are probably correct. Mercury Marine has closed their Stillwater Oklahoma plant, and has moved all production to their original Fondulac, Wisconsin facility. Not sure if Mercury would get involved.
Good to know!

Originally Posted by imatur
Great content and video!
Thanks!

The only comment that I have is that I still do not believe that the C8 will be mid-engine. Not to say that they are not developing a mid-engine, but I think it will be a one off model just like the Ford GT. The problem with a mid-engine is practicality and us 'old' guys like to be able to get golf clubs in the back.

I like your thoughts on the LT5. It will be interesting to see where GM goes with this platform.
Yeah, I think the dilemma now is if they will make a "special" mid-engine platform and a RWD platform (or maybe it's space for the golfclubs). The GM document only displays "Y", so it'll be specific to the Corvette, but we won't know until later if it's MR, FR or AWD.

From a cost perspective, it'll be too expensive to have two different configurations of the Corvette (FR vs MR). I can see a MR and AWD configuration happening, but a FR will just add to cost (or vice versa).

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-29-2017 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your responses look like this!
Old 03-25-2017, 04:24 PM
NiteriderFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

what a time to be a Corvette guy or gal! Your theories /speculation seem bang on great job!
Old 03-25-2017, 05:40 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Great content and video! The only comment that I have is that I still do not believe that the C8 will be mid-engine. Not to say that they are not developing a mid-engine, but I think it will be a one off model just like the Ford GT. The problem with a mid-engine is practicality and us 'old' guys like to be able to get golf clubs in the back.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:52 PM
Outlaw Joe
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Lt-5

this could be the new LT-5 by Mercury Racing.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:03 PM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

If there were any chance (there isn't) that were the new LT5 it wouldn't be seen before it's debut in the car. GM doesn't need their help these days.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:25 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw Joe
this could be the new LT-5 by Mercury Racing.
In the old c4 zr1 project they often took a buy vs build approach which ended up with some pretty high quality parts

the desire to do a good dohc v8 engine is a smart one and merc does pretty good at that so GM could do worse than give them a contract for a limited run of engines just like they did before.

saves lots of R&D and gives them a quick win for an exotic combo at a more affordable price which is the corvette sweet spot. don't be so quick to dismiss those old boat motors.

merc marine can hit 750 hp target with a normally aspirated engine or much more for the asking with turbos.

durability is great and ramp up production and bring down the price and history just might repeat itself.

corvette fans could do worse. IMHO it's time for the flagship to have a flagship power plant, like the old LT5.

a boat motor with a pair of hair dryers and enough torq to move the titanic wouldn't hurt my feelings and this one is already there
Old 05-03-2017, 06:11 AM
Stangslayer
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Don't forget the oxygen bottles and wheel chair! LMFAO
Old 05-03-2017, 06:51 AM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Well done sir!
Old 05-03-2017, 10:50 AM
bibinoudefloride
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Great , nicely done!!
My only thought is that the HP needs to ncrease a lot, dodge has been really pushing their number up with their V8. Now we have the Demon in excess of 800 Hp ! That is insane .....
I think the next step for chevy and the eventual C8 is to start at a base model where the actual Z06 is at now so 650HP and go up from there...

Time will tell....
Old 05-03-2017, 11:20 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I'm not so sure more POWER is what the Corvette REALLY needs.

More power for the Demon Muscle Car and its true purpose as a straight-line speed Bada$$ makes sense.
The Corvette Sportscar?
Not so much.
Its primary mission is very different from the Dodge...
The Z06's LT4 overpowers the car's available traction much too easily as it is.

It's important to remember the C7.R generates only around 500hp...think about it.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:38 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I'm not so sure more POWER is what the Corvette REALLY needs.

More power for the Demon Muscle Car and its true purpose as a straight-line speed Bada$$ makes sense.
The Corvette Sportscar?
Not so much.
Its primary mission is very different from the Dodge...
The Z06's LT4 overpowers the car's available traction much too easily as it is.

It's important to remember the C7.R generates only around 500hp...think about it.
It's not so much a problem of how much power, it's primarily in the way it is delivered. Manufacturers are working to deliver a more suitable curve to better suit conditions where power can benefit the most. As we see now active chassis and active aero working together we will see the power delivery curve be part of the network delivering optimal control to suit needs, it's the natural course of automotive evolution.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:49 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Fuel economy and emissions control requirements will continue to increase into the foreseeable future. That pretty much means the Vette engine displacement will decrease and we will see more use of forced injection either supercharging or turbocharging. Turbocharging provides a little more efficiency than supercharging so in the long run it will probably win out.

Bill
Old 05-04-2017, 08:19 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Fuel economy and emissions control requirements will continue to increase into the foreseeable future. That pretty much means the Vette engine displacement will decrease and we will see more use of forced injection either supercharging or turbocharging. Turbocharging provides a little more efficiency than supercharging so in the long run it will probably win out.

Bill
Small displacement engines do help fuel economy in city driving, but large displacement engines can get very good highway gas mileage.

For example take my two cars.

1) 1999 Mercedes with 2.3L and a roots supercharger. Weighs 3250 pounds and has a .32 Cd. Real world gas mileage city is 21 MPG and highway is 31 MPG. It has decent performance(for a 4 door sedan), but not quite like a sports car with 300% more horsepower.

2) 2009 C6 Z06 with 7L and naturally aspirated. Weighs 3175 and has a .34 Cd. Real world gas mileage city is 15 MPG and highway is 30+ MPG(on one 450 mile drive from Springfield, MO to Natchez, MS, I averaged 33.0 MPG for the entire drive) and I've seen a steady 35 MPG on short 25 mile averages at 74 MPH on I-29 on level ground.

It has great performance(for a sports car with 300% more horsepower than my Mercedes), and I can do a 2500 mile road trip and average 29.2 MPG over the entire trip, and have more fun on that trip driving my Z06 than driving my Mercedes.

When I'm doing city driving to Walmart, etc I drive my Mercedes with 21 MPG, but when I'm on vacation, I drive my Z06 with 30 MPG.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-04-2017 at 08:26 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Corvette and DOHC LT5

Old 05-04-2017, 08:32 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by GT Content
Hey guys,
Here is my analysis on the future LT5 engine and confirmation of the mid-engine C8 Corvette. Let me know what you think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDWvvBX4sVo
Looking at the exhaust on the pictured car, I see a car with a transaxle with the transmission mounted behind the differential, like would be required in a mid engine Corvette.

From that observation, I conclude that GM is possibly going to have BOTH the mid engine car and the front engine car sharing the same transmission/differential(most likely a DCT) and BOTH versions being in production concurrently.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-04-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:11 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

More horsepower does not make efficiency, it simply makes a car able to run a straight line faster, Corvette is not about straight line driving, its about overall performance driving. The Demon Hellcat no way would keep up with a C7 Z06 on a road track, two different cars. Balance, efficiency and most of all the ability to adapt to multiple road conditions is what the new C8 will be about, while using LESS GAS to do it.

The Demon Hellcat is a short production run drag car that will prove to be way too expensive for most and impractical for all. Good GM example of this was the recent rise and demise of the Camaro Z/28 and the COPO....Z/28 was great track car, but overpriced. COPO great drag track car that you really could not drive on the street. So the C8 to be successful must be like worlds super cars BALANCED.

Last edited by 1KULC7; 05-04-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:12 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Looking at the exhaust on the pictured car, I see a car with a transaxle with the transmission mounted behind the differential, like would be required in a mid engine Corvette.

From that observation, I conclude that GM is possibly going to have BOTH the mid engine car and the front engine car sharing the same transmission/differential(most likely a DCT) and BOTH versions being in production concurrently.
Cadillac will be mid engine, Corvette with be as it is today....with new power train (MERC LT5 SB4) and cosmetic body changes, improved interior.

Last edited by 1KULC7; 05-04-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: C8 Corvette and DOHC LT5