Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joined the transmission issue club :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 06:27 PM
JABC8Vette
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sowega and Rkcrlr, thank you both for great advice and help. I just left Chevy spoke to my service advisor and the service manager. They are trying to escalate again based on the close time frame. I will ask about flushing the system twice if I get nowhere on paying for the new tranny.
The following 2 users liked this post by JABC8Vette:
RKCRLR (05-08-2024), sowega (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 08:44 PM
ShanMan14
Administrator

Received 142 Likes on 69 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by sowega
Update: taking the car to the dealer in the morning to let them take a look at the codes. Fingers crossed that I come home in a Corvette, not a rental!
We can both dream, right? Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
sowega (05-08-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 09:26 AM
sowega
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ShanMan14
We can both dream, right? Good luck!
counting mine, there are 9 Corvettes (8 C8s and one C7) in the intake bay at the dealer, so it ain’t looking great for us
Old 05-09-2024, 09:56 AM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by undecided1965
I wasn't aware that lemon laws have these features, I thought it was primarily a buyback mechanism.
That was my opinion as well. I've read the Lemon Law documents for my state and they do not talk about compensation for out of service days.
Old 05-09-2024, 10:55 AM
sowega
Racer

Update: Just got back home. Service advisor said they'd have the car for about two weeks before they could look at it, and there was no loaner or rental option available. She was very nice, but -once again- everybody's hands are tied by process. I stopped over in sales to check on the replacement car. The replacement build is at 3000, and, based on what I heard from service, it seems increasingly likely that the new car will be here before the old one is fixed.

Also, we don't exactly know how I'm going to get the CF splitter and spoiler off the old car and the stock parts back on, but the consensus is that I'm going to have to pay the dealer to do it instead of doing it myself, which is pretty disappointing.

I guess I'm going to go rent a car or see if my old Ducati will crank until somebody at Chevrolet thinks this is a big enough deal to get me a loaner or a rental.
ShawnZR-1 (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 11:14 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,223 Likes on 833 Posts

Update: Just got back home. Service advisor said they'd have the car for about two weeks before they could look at it, and there was no loaner or rental option available. She was very nice, but -once again- everybody's hands are tied by process. I stopped over in sales to check on the replacement car. The replacement build is at 3000, and, based on what I heard from service, it seems increasingly likely that the new car will be here before the old one is fixed.

Also, we don't exactly know how I'm going to get the CF splitter and spoiler off the old car and the stock parts back on, but the consensus is that I'm going to have to pay the dealer to do it instead of doing it myself, which is pretty disappointing.

I guess I'm going to go rent a car or see if my old Ducati will crank until somebody at Chevrolet thinks this is a big enough deal to get me a loaner or a rental.

That GM dealer either is inept and overly slow or a lot of **** is breaking on a lot of GM cars and they are over run with volume...Good luck getting your new Vette soon and hopefully it is better than the one you have........

Last edited by hawkgfr; 05-09-2024 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:23 AM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 295 Posts
Default If no loaner or rental are you getting $$$ ?

They can't expect you to be without transportation....What is GM saying?
Old 05-09-2024, 01:09 PM
ShanMan14
Administrator

Received 142 Likes on 69 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

counting mine, there are 9 Corvettes (8 C8s and one C7) in the intake bay at the dealer, so it ain’t looking great for us
Old 05-09-2024, 02:24 PM
Dan Hintz
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 110 Posts

Sure they can. It's not GM's job to ensure you have transportation, only that the product you purchased (which just happened to be a car) is fixed or replaced within a "reasonable" timeframe (with "reasonable" being very loosely defined).
Fast Dawg (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 02:50 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I happen to like Costco Travel's rental cars, and have had the best luck with Enterprise (altho for several rentals years ago, I used Avis/Budget but they've gone way down). Enterprise is privately owned and doesn't always have counters IN the airport. They really do try harder. jmo

Good luck with the car(s) Ed and JABC8.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:06 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,279 Likes on 3,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hintz
Sure they can. It's not GM's job to ensure you have transportation, only that the product you purchased (which just happened to be a car) is fixed or replaced within a "reasonable" timeframe (with "reasonable" being very loosely defined).
According to the information in the warranty guide repairs are supposed to be made within 30 days.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:21 AM
Dan Hintz
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
According to the information in the warranty guide repairs are supposed to be made within 30 days.
I feel like there's a "If it's in the manual, it must be true" joke in there somewhere, RK... ;-)
Old 05-10-2024, 07:52 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,017 Posts

If I take one of my Mercedes or Lexus in for service, the first thing they want to do is give me a loaner car. Not so with any Corvette. Of course, if I had bought either a Lexus or Mercedes with the C8 performance level, which they don't make...I would have spent another $150, 000 or so! It is clear when you purchase the Corvette, no loaner, and part of the equation.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:23 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^^ Or you could add another zero to the end of that figure and maybe get one of the racing Lex or Cads (MB's would be higher cost ). 'Course then it might not be too "drive-able" on the streets.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:28 AM
plmmd
Burning Brakes

Received 848 Likes on 366 Posts

Loaners not always available at MB need to book service several weeks in advance here. If youve escalated to Exec they should arrange for reimbursing you for finance or lease payments for the time out of service, as they haven't provided a loaner.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:36 AM
sowega
Racer

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
That GM dealer either is inept and overly slow or a lot of **** is breaking on a lot of GM cars and they are over run with volume...Good luck getting your new Vette soon and hopefully it is better than the one you have........
This is the dealer that the regional service director recommended after another dealer took 5 weeks to replace the valve body and returned it with damage. This new dealer sells a ton of Corvettes. When I pulled into the intake bay, there were 8 other Corvettes there, so I would guess that their Corvette tech is backed up - I thought about asking if they were all in for transmission issues, but I decided I didn't really want to know.

Fingers crossed that the new one gets here soon and only sees the dealer for scheduled service - I've spent more time talking to service and dealership personnel over the last 4 months than I have in my entire life.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:36 AM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 360 Likes on 221 Posts

I am a pessimist when it comes to dealers and car companies. I really doubt they'll cover car payments. If you are adamant about a loaner/ rental I think you can get them to give you one but don't expect a Corvette or equivalent.
V Vette (05-10-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Joined the transmission issue club :(

Old 05-10-2024, 09:39 AM
sowega
Racer

Originally Posted by plmmd
Loaners not always available at MB need to book service several weeks in advance here. If youve escalated to Exec they should arrange for reimbursing you for finance or lease payments for the time out of service, as they haven't provided a loaner.
I can't speak for MB, but when my M2 developed a weird issue after a dealership service, and they didn't immediately have a regular loaner, they pulled a used M car off the lot and gave it to me for a day.

Executive resolutions told me that they were reimbursing me for 1 car payment after having the car for 5 weeks, but then rescinded the offer when they learned that GM was replacing the car (which I had to call them to find out).
Old 05-10-2024, 09:45 AM
sowega
Racer

Originally Posted by EvanD
I am a pessimist when it comes to dealers and car companies. I really doubt they'll cover car payments. If you are adamant about a loaner/ rental I think you can get them to give you one but don't expect a Corvette or equivalent.
Groups of people (like a corporation) are pretty dumb, but my experience is that, if you can really reach one or two people in a group to take their group-think blinders off, you can usually get problems solved. Whether the business is cars, air travel, insurance, home warranties, or dog beds, all companies are in business to make money, and routinely make short-sighted decisions based on that quarter's bottom line, and I think that's why we see experiences like mine and a few other owners here. Until the issue and their response to it starts costing them real money and/or real embarrassment (that leads to them losing real money), I would be surprised if there's any real culture change.
Car Junkie 24 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 09:49 AM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 360 Likes on 221 Posts

I agree. Even if you find that helpful person they oftentimes aren't in the position/ have the authority to help and then promises they made go unfulfilled. I don't believe them until I see the results. That said I am always super polite about it and believe you'll have better odds being polite than being rude.
The following 2 users liked this post by EvanD:
Car Junkie 24 (05-10-2024), sowega (05-10-2024)

Quick Reply: Joined the transmission issue club :(