Canadian Events Canada, eh?

75' Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Default 75' Exhaust Question

I want install dual exhaust without Cats, is this going to be a problem since it came with single and a Cat? The car hasn't been on the road for many years, so I haven't done emission. If I'm not mistaken, we don't have to do emissions test anymore, so is it still necessary for the car to pass emissions or install Cats?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Brooklinite
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I think it's '87 and older that are exempt from e-test. There was no talk of passing anything when I got my '72 last year...good thing! *cough*
Old 03-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Cdn UFO
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I removed my from my 79 and no test needed.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:30 PM
1971Coupe
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Frank

checkout the website, depends on how you interpret it

http://www.driveclean.com/
Old 03-26-2007, 03:56 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

You don't need an e-test for your car, but it is against the law to remove or render useless any emission/pollution control parts that were originally part of the car from the factory; in spite of that I have never personally heard of anyone being busted for doing it.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:14 PM
JUSTAKAR
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default F and C

No testy required...

Only requirement is that you ignite the lanterns on the front before driving at night....
Old 03-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Thanks for the replies everyone, I was pretty sure I didn't have to go for emissions but as you say 1971Coupe ; it depends on how you interpret it. I think I'm taking a chance by not adding Cats since as 7t2vette mentioned, it's against the law. I still have to decide how I'm going to do the exhaust. I want to put a crossover on it but I have 3 choices.

1. Build it from scratch and weld the Stainless myself.
2. Send it to a shop and have them install it for a premium. (I'm already well over budget)
3. Order a 74 Dual Stainless Exhaust, cut it for the collectors and crossover and weld it.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:49 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

I think the risk of getting busted for it are slim to none, Motorhead and Silversixx are two guys that come to mind that both have true duals/no cats on their originally pollution equipped cars probably for a long time with no problems. If I were you, I would weld it up yourself since you are an accomplished SS welder anyways, but it would be a pain to do without a lift. If you are worried about the cats, buy two universal hi-flo cats to install, they are relatively inexpensive and don't hurt flow much at all, they have come a long way in design.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:30 PM
FOLDNTOP
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
Thanks for the replies everyone, I was pretty sure I didn't have to go for emissions but as you say 1971Coupe ; it depends on how you interpret it. I think I'm taking a chance by not adding Cats since as 7t2vette mentioned, it's against the law. I still have to decide how I'm going to do the exhaust. I want to put a crossover on it but I have 3 choices.

2. Send it to a shop and have them install it for a premium. (I'm already well over budget)
3. Order a 74 Dual Stainless Exhaust, cut it for the collectors and crossover and weld it.

Three looks like your best option but if you go with even an earlier year system it could be 2.5 through out.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:50 PM
canucbuck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you can do it but only if you do it yourself. I took mine in to have the exhaust pipes replaced to three different places. I have true duals no cats. All told me that they could not install because if they did they could be fined up to $5000.00. It was explained that if the car was equipped with cats they had to by law to install cats. It is not illegal not to have them for your car being exempt--but you just have to find someone who know you well or do it yourself. ---Maybe with all this crap thats going on with the environment it might be a good thing to have them put on.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Bishs
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with an earlier system if it fits. Price it out to do your self and check prices for a prebuilt system from Corvette Central.

Also, For the amount of driving, etc. I would go with the Aluminized system over S.S.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:43 AM
sxr6
Pro

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr

I would just put the 74 system on or the earlier larger one, you might check Corvette Coral here in Can.
Why are you so set on the crossover? you'll probably make as much or more gains simply going to a stock 73 system!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:40 PM
75 Stingray!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my 75 it had the 74 true dual system on it and it looked stock. I have since installed the side pipes and have not been hassled by the cops. Since 75 was the first year you could always BS the cop about your car being an early production model that didn’t come with cats, but I doubt that situation will ever occur.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:46 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by canucbuck
....It is not illegal not to have them for your car being exempt....

This is incorrect information. Regardless of whether or not your car is exempt from clean air testing, it is still illegal to remove and or render useless any and all pollution control equipment that was originally installed by the manufacturer.

From the http://www.driveclean.com/index.html site FAQ section:

Q: My car was never equipped with a catalytic converter. Will it be able to pass the Drive Clean test?

A: In order to take the test, you will have to provide documentation that your vehicle did not come equipped with a catalytic converter. You may have to get this information from the vehicle manufacturer. If a vehicle's catalytic converter has been removed, it must be replaced with a new original equipment manufacturer unit or with a U.S. EPA-approved aftermarket replacement unit before the vehicle can be tested. It is an offence in Ontario, under the Environmental Protection Act, to operate a vehicle if the factory-installed catalytic converter has been removed.

From the Ontario Environmental Protection Act site http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/S...e19_e.htm#BK23 :

(3) Where a manufacturer installs on, attaches to or incorporates in any motor or motor vehicle, a system or device to prevent or lessen the discharge of any contaminant, no person shall remove or cause or permit the removal of the system or device from the motor or motor vehicle, except as permitted by subsection (4).

(4) A person may repair the system or device or replace the system or device by a system or device of the same type or of a type prescribed by the regulations. 1998, c. 35, s. 3.

Operation of motor or motor vehicle

23. (1) Except where necessary for test or repair purposes, no person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a motor or motor vehicle or any class or type thereof that does not comply with the regulations.

Where system or device required

(2) Where a manufacturer installs on, attaches to or incorporates in any motor or motor vehicle a system or device to prevent or lessen the discharge of any contaminant, the owner of such motor or motor vehicle shall not operate or cause or permit the operation of such motor or motor vehicle nor shall any person knowingly operate or cause or permit its operation unless such motor or motor vehicle has installed on, attached to or incorporated in it such system or device, and such system or device operates in accordance with the regulations when the motor or motor vehicle is in operation. R.S.O. 1990, c. E.19, s. 23.

Last edited by 7t2vette; 03-27-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:32 PM
canucbuck
Instructor

Looks like I was wrong. :bb

Old 03-28-2007, 09:56 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by canucbuck
Looks like I was wrong. :bb

Most people don't know this, but I have yet to run into someone who got caught doing it; I don't think they really bother with that stuff on the older cars.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Rander
Instructor

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
I think the risk of getting busted for it are slim to none, Motorhead and Silversixx are two guys that come to mind that both have true duals/no cats on their originally pollution equipped cars probably for a long time with no problems. If I were you, I would weld it up yourself since you are an accomplished SS welder anyways, but it would be a pain to do without a lift. If you are worried about the cats, buy two universal hi-flo cats to install, they are relatively inexpensive and don't hurt flow much at all, they have come a long way in design.

Hi Frank

Obviously you're concerned about this and for that reason alone, I'd consider what 7t2vette is saying. Yes you can install true duals w/o cats and most likely you'll never never run into a major hassle, BUT will it always be on the back of your mind?... I already know the answer to this one but I'll ask it anyways... What if you ever decide to sell the car? Will it be an issue?

I would consider using dual cats, if for nothing more than "peace of mind"

Fortunately with the 74... I don't have to face this.

Ron

Last edited by Rander; 03-29-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Hi Ron

To answer your question, my forum name says it all. I'm hoping this car will last approximatly another 40 years, but that will depend on how well my son takes care of it. He may decide to store it for another 18 years, but then in 40 years I may not know my name or be 6 feet under.

I plan to keep it for ever.

I presently have the GM original 74' exhaust that was purchased approximatly 25 years ago. Due to it sitting for so long, the only thing that can be saved are the headers.

I'm going to price out 2 1/2" Stainless 304 dual 74' exhaust pipes, and crossover. Thanks to Silversixx, I already have 2 1/2" Stainless Mufflers. It would appear that I'm going to go with option # 3 since I have to factor in my time, stainless welding rod, and argon, for option # 1. Option #2 is still a possibility.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

By the way Ron, if you don't mind, I'd like to come and see your progress, since there's a bit of history with yours also.

Get notified of new replies

To 75' Exhaust Question

Quick Reply: 75' Exhaust Question