Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Searching for a C6/GTA

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:05 PM
dlynch
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Searching for a C6/GTA

We were at the Rennlist gathering (Chapters) a couple of weeks ago. BMW M-Roadster.
We're looking for a C6; frankly we're becoming obsessed. It's hard. Haven't seen a Vette we don't like!

We couldn't get to the GTG this week.

If we had we would have asked owners about:
* dealer sold US cars and warranty,
* how to find aftermarket exhausts in the GTA,
* does the Nav system have comprehensive Canadian mapping?

I must aplogize for not sharing photos that I took of cars at the GTG we attended. My email has been down for almost a month, and I don't have the computer skills to restore it.

Regards,
Dave L
Mississauga, Ontario
Old 07-23-2007, 09:15 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Hello Dave, I remember you and your wife.

While I am no expert on the US bought car thing, from what I understand, you can buy a USED car from the US and they are MUCH cheaper. (A NEW C6 in the US is around $43). There are steps you must take however, look up the RIV website (I think thats what it is) The car has to have over 11 or 12 thousand kms before the warranty is good here.

As far as exhaust goes, those are MUCH cheaper in the states as well. However, I got my BB bullets from Davenport racing, in Calgary, so I didn't get dinged with duty. The Bullets are great quality and were about $800, which is about half the price of some of the other systems. They are loud so not everyone likes them, but to me they are not loud enough! You can get them installed anywhere, they were a direct bolt on system. I got mine installed at NoyzBoyz in Scarboro.

As for the Nav system, I was too cheap to get one, but I have been bailed out by the other guys that do have them and always in Canada, so I assume they have complete Canadian maps.

Hope that helps any.
The C6 is a GREAT car, I have had mine over a year now, and I STILL drive it everyday just for the sheer joy of it. It is my first vette but NOT my last. When you have a vette, you have instant camaraderie with all fellow vette owners, I don't think any other car has quite the fellowship that Corvette does, its pretty amazing.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Addison Chev Olds at Dixie & Eglinton has a brand new Victory red 07 coupe they are selling for $59,999. It's a 6 speed manual with no options in it (although all CDN cars come with the same stuff as a 3LT car in the US, so even a no option car here is loaded with goodies).

If you compare this price to a 3LT equipped car from the US, it really isn't that much more expensive.

And I'm sure in a few weeks time we'll start seeing a few more 07 cars being advertised for even less than this. I know that last fall there were a few dealers selling brand new 06 coupes for as low as $56,000!

If it were me I'd spend a bit more and get an 08 though, but the deals won't be as good on those for quite a while.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:06 PM
dlynch
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your thoughts. We've already moved up in years, and I'd like to hold the line a little on cost.

We had a 40th Anniversary Vette, Vert with a hardtop. Great car.

It's funny about the warranty thing. Does anyone here have a new US(same model year) Vette, and how has the warranty treatment been?

Regards,
DaveL
Mississauga
Old 07-23-2007, 09:08 PM
dlynch
Burning Brakes

The Nav thing is a concern for me. We travel a lot on paved back roads. Cruisin.

I've had Garmin units for a while. Ancient history, bought a GArmin gpsV that came with Cdn mapping. They had 4 cities! Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal. It was upgraded later, but that cost me quite a bit more.

Thanks for the thoughts!

DAveL
Old 07-23-2007, 10:45 PM
dlynch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SAMMAN
Dave,
It doesnt matter what year the car is. It must be in service for at least 6 months and have at least 12,000 kilometers for warranty (not either or). I have a U.S. bought 06 which just over 12,000 km. I took it in to Roy Foss last week and had the differential fluid changed because of a common problem with Rear Chatter on C6's. They fixed it under warranty.

Thanks!

There's an incredible number of US cars on the market here, in dealerships. And a lot of Porsches, Bimmers and such. Looks like a big business.

Glad you found the car you wanted.

Regards,
DaveL
Old 07-24-2007, 11:51 AM
TeddyFreddy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette people are the best

Originally Posted by dlynch
The Nav thing is a concern for me. We travel a lot on paved back roads. Cruisin.

I've had Garmin units for a while. Ancient history, bought a GArmin gpsV that came with Cdn mapping. They had 4 cities! Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal. It was upgraded later, but that cost me quite a bit more.

Thanks for the thoughts!

DAveL
Where are the back roads? I guess they are nice "driving roads" and I am looking for some If they are not very far I can help you with a real life test of the GM Nav I have in my C6 Z06. I don't mind cruising with the "enemy", BMW M roadster is a nice car
I converted some Porsche guys to Corvette, maybe it is time for a BMW (easy, you seem almost converted)
Old 07-24-2007, 12:03 PM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TeddyFreddy
Where are the back roads? I guess they are nice "driving roads" and I am looking for some If they are not very far I can help you with a real life test of the GM Nav I have in my C6 Z06. I don't mind cruising with the "enemy", BMW M roadster is a nice car
I converted some Porsche guys to Corvette, maybe it is time for a BMW (easy, you seem almost converted)
I have a die hard BMW family member and have offered my Z06 for a drive but he won't accept cause he knows he would be hooked and would have to fess up to the fact that Corvettes Rule All
Old 07-24-2007, 05:20 PM
dlynch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TeddyFreddy

Great idea!
We currently have a Boxster and the M-Roadster. So you're really converting 2 in 1!
(BTW we had a 40th anniversary Vette; beautiful car.)

My wife is an incredible road finder. We've belonged to a couple of Miata clubs, and currently belong to the Porsche Club (PCA, UCR). Lived in London Ontario a long time. It's similar to Deal's Gap. 11 turns in 317 miles.

Are you familiar with Great Ontario Bike Routes? Bikerlad has done an incredible job identifying good roads. Sorry, no link.

Regards,
Dave L
Old 07-24-2007, 10:53 PM
TeddyFreddy
Drifting

Great idea!
We currently have a Boxster and the M-Roadster. So you're really converting 2 in 1!
(BTW we had a 40th anniversary Vette; beautiful car.)

My wife is an incredible road finder. We've belonged to a couple of Miata clubs, and currently belong to the Porsche Club (PCA, UCR). Lived in London Ontario a long time. It's similar to Deal's Gap. 11 turns in 317 miles.

Are you familiar with Great Ontario Bike Routes? Bikerlad has done an incredible job identifying good roads. Sorry, no link.

Regards,
Dave L
PM sent.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:43 PM
dlynch
Burning Brakes

Default Great Roads!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1561224990
Old 07-25-2007, 05:49 PM
dlynch
Burning Brakes

Thanks! Sent a PM back; we're looking really hard for a car.

Here's what we think...

Roadster or Coupe (C6)
6-speed or auto
Z51
NAV

And I like the aftermarket exhaust on some members' cars; found one equipped that way.

DaveL
Old 07-26-2007, 10:45 PM
dlynch
Burning Brakes

We get our 06 from Roy Foss on Saturday! Z51, 6-speed, NAV; red

It's a deal! Thanks for all the help here. My wife found it, bought it and called me to tell me so!

Regards,
DAveL
Old 07-26-2007, 11:02 PM
FFIN90
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================ From Toronto ================ 9/11/01 FDNY 343 R.I.P.
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'13-'14

Congrats Dave.

Don't forget to wave now.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:09 PM
dlynch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FFIN90
Congrats Dave.

Don't forget to wave now.
Guaranteed!

We had a 40th Ruby and spirit is a large part of owning a car. Instant therapy! Lots of grins.

DaveL
Old 07-29-2007, 10:11 PM
dlynch
Burning Brakes

Question?

Shifter by-pass (4 does not equal 6!)

How hard is it to install? Has anyone here done it?

Regards,
DaveL
Old 07-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Jon04CTSV
Burning Brakes

Question?

Shifter by-pass (4 does not equal 6!)

How hard is it to install? Has anyone here done it?

Regards,
DaveL
Are you talking about the CAGS eliminator so it won't force you to go 1-4 in certain speeds?

Those are very easy, at least on the CTS-V. It took less than a minute after jacking the car up.

I'm not sure if that helps, but I figure it should be just as easy on the C6.

Get notified of new replies

To Searching for a C6/GTA

Old 07-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Addison Chev Olds at Dixie & Eglinton has a brand new Victory red 07 coupe they are selling for $59,999. It's a 6 speed manual with no options in it (although all CDN cars come with the same stuff as a 3LT car in the US, so even a no option car here is loaded with goodies).
If you compare this price to a 3LT equipped car from the US, it really isn't that much more expensive.
You can buy this same car new at a US dealer for about $43K US or less ($46K CAN) at the present time. They are selling 1LT's for about $39K, and the 3LT package is about a $4K option at invoice.
You will probably have to go through a broker ($500?) to buy new from a US dealer, and people on this forum have said that the warranty won't be valid at a Canadian dealer for the first 6 months or 12000kms.

Paul
Old 07-30-2007, 09:47 PM
dlynch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jon04CTSV
Are you talking about the CAGS eliminator so it won't force you to go 1-4 in certain speeds?

Those are very easy, at least on the CTS-V. It took less than a minute after jacking the car up.

I'm not sure if that helps, but I figure it should be just as easy on the C6.
That's it. Except sometimes I shift so slowly it forgets I'm supposed to be in 4th.

DaveL
Old 02-05-2016, 03:55 PM
dlynch
Burning Brakes

It was funny coming across this old post of mine. I'm still looking for a good Vette. However, I will have to save for a while!
Dave

ps The '06 Victory Red coupe wasn't a good choice for me....I'm short and heavy. Next Vette will be a 'vert. auto.

My Ruby (40th Anniversary Vette) was a much better choice (for me.)

Last edited by dlynch; 02-05-2016 at 03:57 PM. Reason: sometimers

Quick Reply: Searching for a C6/GTA