Canadian Events Canada, eh?

My C3 is wearing me out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Default My C3 is wearing me out.

Ok people here goes...... I know I deserve any flaming I get but I have to get this off of my chest.

I'm tired of working of this frik'in car. I know some have done a many year body off/on restoration, but I couldn't do that. I don't know if it's my age or that I've just lost patience in my prime years.

When Mick first kick started me to get this car back on the road, I though hey, just a couple of gaskets and Bam, start her up and away we go. Boy did I need to give my head a shake. Every time I work on something I get tired of it and start another project somewhere else. At the moment I'm working on the Steering, Front end Poly bushing, interior and there all apart. I feel like giving up. Remember though that the lawn still need to be cut, garbage taken out, fence posts straighten out, grass fertilized and so on and so on.

This is the list so far of which 75 % has been installed. Keep in mind this car only has approximately 50,000 original miles and was running when I parked it.

Air Cleaner, Morose Chrome
Alarm Switches
Alternator Harness
Ash Tray
Assembly manual
Battery Tray seal
Battery
Black paint for wheel wells & parts
Bra Front
Brake Fluid Silicone
Brake Pedal Boot
Brake Pads
Bushing Kit Front & Rear Poly
Bushing Kit Body Mount Poly
Caliper 1
Caliper Bleeder Screws
Caliper Pins
Carpet Silver Pile
Carpet Adhesive
Center Cap
Center console
Clear Coat for parts
Clock 1974
Clock Rebuilt
Cushions for Astro Vent
Distributor cap & rotor
Door hinge Springs
Door Panels
Door Handle Controls
Door handle locks etc seals
Door & alarm lock rubber washers
Door Sills
E Brake Slider
Engine oil & Filter
Fiberglass Repair kit
Floor Mats
Front & Rear brake pads
Front Window Pillars
Fuel Filter
Header molding Silver
Heat Barrier
Heater Control New
Heater Control Plate
Heater Hoses & clamps
Idler Arm
Ignition wires
Interior Dye
Interior Screws
Lock Cylinder, Retainer
Master Cylinder
Passenger Mirror
Misc. Brake cleaner, PB Blaster etc.
Oil Bypass Tube
Oil Pan Front & Rear seals
Oil Pan Gasket
Paint & fiberglass for spare tire cover
Paint for calipers
Paint for Rims
Pillar post Silver LH
Pillar post Silver RH
Power Steering Pump Kit
Q-Jet Carb and rebuilt
Q-Jet Carb spare 78
Rear Axle Bolts
Rear compartment door frames 3 pc. Set
Rear Compartment Trim
Rear Window Trim
Sand Paper, Discs & Wire Wheels
Scanner LM-! + LMA-2 & S/S bung & plug
Screws & plugs S/S for lower trim
Seat Covers Leather
Seat Cover Bolts
Seat cover installation kit.
Seat Cover Tool
Seat foam 4 pc set
Shifter console housing Silver RH
Shock Mount Bushings Front
Sound Deadening
Spare Alternator
Spare tire lock boot
Spare Tire Spring
Spark Plugs
Ssnake-Oyl rebuilt seat belts
Steering Control Valve &Cylinder Rebuilt
Switch, Door Ajar
Thermostat Gasket
Tie Rod Ends & Sleeves
Transmission oil
Transmission pan gasket and filter
T Top Bags
Turn Signal Lever
Vacuum Filter
Vacuum lines & Stainless Braiding
Valve cover gasket
Valve Covers M/T & Wing Nuts
Valve Stems qty 4
Weather Stripping & adhesive
Windshield washer tank
Wheel Bearing Grease
Wheel Studs
Undercoat
Universal Joints

In conclusion, even after all these parts have been installed, this is still only phase two; I still have two more phases to go before I’m happy with my sleeping beauty. With the money I've spend on her so far, I would have been better off to ...................I can't say it, but you can all fill in the blank, and just buy a C5.

I know........I know........it will all be worth it in the end.....you'll be happy once it's done.........when you go for your first ride you'll know it was worth it. I've already though of that and it doesn't make it any easier.

I'm tired folks; I think I need to retire so that I can finally take a break and rest.

Sorry for the rant/vent.

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 06-05-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:56 AM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

I know it's easy to say, but put a "push" on it and dedicate time to only the Vette. Have mini GTG's with some of us "wrenchers" to help both with time (getting stuff done faster) and a more specialized focus.

An example, you want to finish the front end, PM a few of us, set a Saturday date, 3 or 4 show up and get er done in less than a day. Set another Sat for something else, same procedure.

Oh, and get a C5 in the meantime to keep you happy
Old 06-05-2008, 10:00 AM
LT4Coupe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hang in there Frank...take a break if you need to. Plenty of forum
members to ride with if your Vette isn't ready this year.

you are the original owner of that car, I don't think buying a C5
could have replaced the experience of driving it once again.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:25 AM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try not to do too much at once, "land one plane at a time"
Old 06-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGGDOLL
I know it's easy to say, but put a "push" on it and dedicate time to only the Vette. Have mini GTG's with some of us "wrenchers" to help both with time (getting stuff done faster) and a more specialized focus.

An example, you want to finish the front end, PM a few of us, set a Saturday date, 3 or 4 show up and get er done in less than a day. Set another Sat for something else, same procedure.

Oh, and get a C5 in the meantime to keep you happy
Mike I sometimes get tired of working on the Vette so I take a break and work on other stuff, or other repairs take priority, but Cathy has told me that I need to concentrate on one thing and finish it, well that ain't happening. I took a break from working on the Vette so I decide to sand down the garage door, then I got tired of that so I decided to dig up the rear fence post since they were sagging really bad, then Cath tells me that the patio door won't open so I take that apart....in the meantime she paints a couple of bedrooms and asked that I hang a new curtain. Yesterday when she serves dinner the chicken was burnt on one side and when I asked her about it she tells me (in her loving way) "don't you remember me telling you the BBQ has a hot spot in it", now I find out the air compressor stopped working and I hope it's only a belt. Needless to say, yesterday I spent 5 hours taking apart the BBQ to clean it and put up the curtain at 10:00 pm. the garage door is still primered and the fence post have been half dug up and the patio door is still apart, oh and I just ordered a new compressor belt.

Am I going through my 3rd mid life crisis?

I NEED A VACATION!

Originally Posted by LT4Coupe
hang in there Frank...take a break if you need to. Plenty of forum
members to ride with if your Vette isn't ready this year.

you are the original owner of that car, I don't think buying a C5
could have replaced the experience of driving it once again.
I think the main and only reason for my forum name is because I'm the original owner.........may God give me strength!

Originally Posted by 75Rag
Try not to do too much at once, "land one plane at a time"
And Cathy couldn't agree with you more Mike, only problem is that the pilots of 14 Jumbo Jets are all telling me they only have a couple minutes of fuel left.

Yes I know, I bring it on my self and telling the last pilot to take a pill didn't do much for getting any work accomplished. The glass is half full and they won't run out of fuel. Hopefully I'll get some more work done this Saturday and be drunk by noon............just kidding about the time frame folks, I'll try and hold off till dinner time before I'm three sheets to the wind.

Thanks Mike, Peter, Michael.

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 06-05-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:35 AM
1Bad69
Safety Car

sounds like lots of work, but in the end it will be worth it...i am going to have my 69 done this year with a new frame and whatever else needs fixing but i found someone that is giving me a killer deal on labour so i am getting him to do the work..car will be going to him in about a month and hopefully will be back on the road next May...
Old 06-05-2008, 10:57 AM
HiVoltge
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I'm sure it is overwhelming at times, but be patient and keep at it and the end result will be worth it...
Old 06-05-2008, 11:06 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Frank, hang in there buddy. When I was reading your post I thought how familiar that feeling is. Although I dont have the vette to work on to the degree you do, I know the overwhelming feeling of being out of town days on end , coming home to day to day chores, weekend and weekday projects, trying to get to the gym, spending as much time with my family, throwing in Vette stuff, friends, the rest of the family etc... It can get very overwhelming to say the least. I needed to work out time management to get through it.. I go to the gym or cruises at night during the week. Projects and dedicated Family stuff on weekends etc.

Dont give up on the car, you are so close and will be closer after this weekend. You will have a lot of support on Sat and you will be re-inspired by the end of it. Sometimes all it takes is a coffee break with the gang to stop you from jumping off the bridge. soooo... come out and drink coffee with us

and P.s... Michael, I still LOVE your 69

Last edited by GettReal; 06-05-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:34 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Frank, relax it's never as bad as we think it is. Besides mid-life crisis are a lot of fun and we should all have as many of them as we need to have in order to get us into our later years with smiles on our faces and memories of life well lived. It's not about who has the most toys when they pass on but who had the most fun with the toys they had that matters most. Just my opinion.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:50 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Hang in there Frank, I've been in the same boat. In the last year as well as the Vette I have 4 other cars to take care of and I put in a new kitchen and hardwood in two rooms as well as paint 3 rooms and a hallway.

Steve
Old 06-05-2008, 01:04 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I decided quite awhile ago that I would do the small things but anything major incl. u joints I'd pay someone who I trusted to do it right, I'd just rather spend the few months we have driving it than working on it. That said I still haven't even bothered to start mine up yet and my wife is asking to get it out for some top down cruises. This is the latest that I haven't had it on the road in 10 years so maybe this wknd. I'll at least fire it up.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:44 PM
OBSESHON Mark
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Hang in there Frank We'll get it it done someday.
As for painting I have a great solution, screw it up real good and you will never have to do it again.
Trust me it works.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:51 PM
cargo247
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank I know how your feeling .
I have only been working on the car for 8 months and sometimes I just don’t want to look at it! but once I start getting my hands dirty it feels so good to say( well that’s done, next)
As for the things around the house buy a new bbq, hire a kid to fix the fence, and have someone to install French doors in for the patio. and if the wife says (you are spending to much time out with the car and not with me!) get her a boyfriend) then you,ll will have more time with the car, joking, sit back have a beer and look around put things in there place …. we have it pretty good.

Todd
Old 06-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Sounds like someone needs to send the kids away for a weekend, get the missus to dress up in leathers and b****slap you for a weekend. Well ok, maybe she doesn't need to get dressed up.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:50 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
Sounds like someone needs to send the kids away for a weekend, get the missus to dress up in leathers and b****slap you for a weekend. Well ok, maybe she doesn't need to get dressed up.
Stan,I like the way your thinking,now,,,,,,,,,
Old 06-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Spocc
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Frank
i ain't have a good day either
dropped my tranny tray to find lots of bits of metal , glistening up at me

rebuild will be done by next Monday $$$$$....

i hate the car when something major comes along but love it when its not asking for financial donations...lol...i'm torn & sometimes ask meself , why are ya putting up with this monet-pit ???

if it ain't raining i'll ride 1 of my bikes up Saturday morn but we have to agree - no tears ...lol

Pete
Old 06-05-2008, 07:33 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DEMITRISTYLES
Buy this Frank.

Thats a sweet deal I'll drive you down there Frank to pick it up

Get notified of new replies

To My C3 is wearing me out.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:02 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

I was considering it myself...I wanna toss my Vette off a ****in' cliff.
Whats wrong with it?
Old 06-05-2008, 09:19 PM
1971Coupe
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know and don't care right now....carry on with Franks problems...sorry Frank.

Frank....one thing at a time.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:44 PM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't want to sound like a pessimist or an optimist but if your at the end of your rope (and even considering a newer model) - you've already answered your question about how much more you can or should take.

Quick Reply: My C3 is wearing me out.