Canadian Events Canada, eh?

ZR1 vs GTR at the ring: end of the controversy?

Old 07-22-2008, 08:24 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default ZR1 vs GTR at the ring: end of the controversy?

Very interesting video:

Old 07-22-2008, 08:42 PM
FFIN90
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================ From Toronto ================ 9/11/01 FDNY 343 R.I.P.
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'13-'14

175mph
Old 07-22-2008, 08:45 PM
-=Iron Mike=-
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-22-2008, 09:11 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

amazing what they can do with a V6 these days, I am looking fwd to seeing a GTR in person.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:23 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

AWD has come along way,
but not for me,for different reasons.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I gotta give credit where credit is due and the GTR is one serious car for a TT 6cyl. Unlock the computer and just retune the GTR and guaranteed it will be seriously faster than stock with no other mods. One incredible car.......but I'd still rather cruise in a Vette...Oh yeah I am
Old 07-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Cdn Z06 Mike
I gotta give credit where credit is due and the GTR is one serious car for a TT 6cyl. Unlock the computer and just retune the GTR and guaranteed it will be seriously faster than stock with no other mods. One incredible car.......but I'd still rather cruise in a Vette...Oh yeah I am
There are so many serious rumours about the actual GTR that ran that run that it has lot it's credibility. Look for the video of the one of the first production ones that raced a Z06 from all different speeds. It got it's *ss wiped. Forum member Omansupra owns both the cars and had his brother drive the GTR while he drove the Z06. It shows, what we all thought should happen if the two met, the Z06 hammered it.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:11 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Heard a nice V8 rumble, not sure what the ricer sounded like
Old 07-22-2008, 11:32 PM
HiVoltge
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

No contest.... I'd take the Z06 any day....Throw a TT into the Z06 and see what happens...
Old 07-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by HiVoltge
No contest.... I'd take the Z06 any day....Throw a TT into the Z06 and see what happens...
Double the displacement of the GTR and see what happens...

Paul

PS. The car in the video is a ZR1 and not a Z06, it has 140HP on the Nissan.

Last edited by Fawndeuce; 07-22-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by HiVoltge
You don't have to as I said, the proof is already hitting the streets. The Nurburgring car was a ringer, the GTR is losing big time to the Z06 in real world challenges.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Racer44
the GTR is losing big time to the Z06 in real world challenges.
One guy, one car, one set of circumstances... This is only the beginning of the GTR vs Z06 comparos... I'm sure that in some situations the GTR will be faster, and in some the Z06...
I already have a Vette, so it sure would be fun to try the Nissan with the all wheel drive!

Paul
Old 07-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
One guy, one car, one set of circumstances... This is only the beginning of the GTR vs Z06 comparos... I'm sure that in some situations the GTR will be faster, and in some the Z06...
I already have a Vette, so it sure would be fun to try the Nissan with the all wheel drive!

Paul
Yea, but this GTR was supposed to be a ZR1 killer and this guy raced them fair and square and we know both are stock. Who knows what some of the GTR guys (and Z06 guys for that matter) will do to them and then call them stock just to prove which car is better. You couldn't get a more fair race(s) than this one was. The video shows him using launch control on it, kind of cool.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:38 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdn Z06 Mike

would never trade my c6 vert for one....i don't know why a lot of folks get so annoyed with gt-r favorable comment.

i'm always suggesting gm adapt some of the gt-r type technology for a c7...

this isn't gt-r vs corvette, nissan is flexing its technology against the field: porsche,ferrari,mercedes/amg,bmw m series/lambo,
FOR MSRP 70,000
...YEP IT IS UGLY,but a body can easily be made a looker...
Old 07-23-2008, 01:10 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Yea, but this GTR was supposed to be a ZR1 killer and this guy raced them fair and square and we know both are stock. Who knows what some of the GTR guys (and Z06 guys for that matter) will do to them and then call them stock just to prove which car is better. You couldn't get a more fair race(s) than this one was. The video shows him using launch control on it, kind of cool.
I can't see a GTR ever being faster than a ZR1 other than on a real tight road course? The comparisons I always hear are GTR/Z06, same price, roughly the same power etc...
Four wheel drive should make it a lot easier for an average schmuck like me to drive it fast through the twisties. I personally find the Vette 'kinda scary when pushed hard in corners. Strange steering feel with very little feedback (07), twitchy back end on rough surfaces, and almost no warning or buildup when it starts to break loose... I've never driven a Porsche awd, but I know with an Audi you feel in control and that you can push harder, it also gives more warning and lets go more gradually at the limits. Far less nervous (me and the car).
Video sounds cool, Youtube?

Paul

Last edited by Fawndeuce; 07-23-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:22 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
I can't see a GTR ever being faster than a ZR1 other than on a real tight road course? The comparisons I always hear are GTR/Z06, same price, roughly the same power etc...
Four wheel drive should make it a lot easier for an average schmuck like me to drive it fast through the twisties. I personally find the Vette 'kinda scary when pushed hard in corners. Strange steering feel with very little feedback (07), twitchy back end on rough surfaces, and almost no warning or buildup when it starts to break loose... I've never driven a Porsche awd, but I know with an Audi you feel in control and that you can push harder, it also gives more warning and let's go more gradually at the limits. Far less nervous (me and the car).
Video sounds cool, Youtube?

Paul
Yea, search GTR versus Z06. The video is the one by Oman911Turbo
Old 07-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Snobike Mike
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, but this GTR was supposed to be a ZR1 killer

I think it was more meant to be a Z06 killer, not a ZR1 killer.

Doesn't matter, me likes the vette better!

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 vs GTR at the ring: end of the controversy?

Old 07-23-2008, 09:34 AM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

From a car enthusiast perspective, as much as I love the Z06, I have to give props to the GTR. It packs a serious punch and like Mike said, a little tune here and there with no major mods required and this car will be capable for some serious a$$ whopping.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by rpanesar
From a car enthusiast perspective, as much as I love the Z06, I have to give props to the GTR. It packs a serious punch and like Mike said, a little tune here and there with no major mods required and this car will be capable for some serious a$$ whopping.
Yea, tune it and it will go faster, tune the Z06 and it can go faster, you can play that game both all day long. As for which car they are comparing it to, it may be going after the Z06, but if you read all the blogs etc, after the ZR1 did it's run a Nurburgring all the GTR people are talking about how the GTR was faster in this part of the track and that with a tune it will beat it, or the whatever "spec" model will beat it. So they are now comparing it the the ZR1 too. I give it props but would NEVER own one as they are butt ugly, sometimes it's about more than how fast it is, you do have to look at the thing when is is parked in your garage. Sounds like crap too.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:19 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 657 Likes on 441 Posts

GTR is a seriously heavy car - as much as nearly 1000 pounds more than a Vette. Some car makers will never learn that the downside of extra mass cannot be offset by more HP, 4-wheel drive, bigger brakes, traction control etc....

I would hope that the C7 and future iterations of the Vette sees Chevrolet continue to focus on making the car lighter. An LS"X" in a car that weighs 300 or 400 lbs less than the C6 would be a ball to drive...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZR1 vs GTR at the ring: end of the controversy?