Go Back   Corvette Forum > Upcoming Events and Regional Discussion > Canadian Events
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Canadian Events
Canada, eh? Sponsored by
Champion Motors

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 10-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
Cman01
CF Senior Member

Default Do you have to pay Ontario PST................

.............................if you buy a new vehicle from a dealer in another province and licence the car here in Ontario????

Let's just say this vehicle is new and is a canadian model but you are just buying it from a dealer in another provice (ex. Alberta where there's no PST), when you bring it into Ontario to licence it do you have to pay Ontario PST or can you just licence it like you purchased the car here????

Tony

09 CG Z06 "Whipple Whipper v2.0"
'13 GT500
01 Sentra SE, 07 SX4 (current DD)
Cman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Zeeman28a
CF Senior Member

If you bought a car in Alberta that had never been registered in Ontario, you would have to pay the tax as soon as you register it - if it's a new car, tax on the full selling price, on a used car, the tax would be pro-rated depending on how old it was.
Zeeman28a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Cman01
CF Senior Member

What if it is registered first in Alberta then I "move" to Ontario with the car? Do I pay the tax then? I have an address connection in Alberta where I can register the car to before bringing it to Ontario.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
VETFEVER
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree with everything Stan just posted except one thing...

Ontario has its own valuation scale for vehicles. Say a rich buddy sold you a 2002 Vette for $15,000 and you then go to the MVO office with receipt in hand to register the vehicle in your name and pay the PST, they would look up their own valuation and charge the PST on their amount - likely about $25,000 vs what you paid !!
VETFEVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
Jon04CTSV
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman01 View Post
What if it is registered first in Alberta then I "move" to Ontario with the car? Do I pay the tax then? I have an address connection in Alberta where I can register the car to before bringing it to Ontario.
I'm 99% sure you don't. That's what I've heard.

2004 Cadillac CTS-V -Cammed, Z06 FRCs, B&B long-tube headers, B&B high-flow cats, B&B catback w/ X-pipe, a tune, Hotchkis sways, B&M short throw, gForce axles, etc
2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI Premium - 6-Speed, Magnaflow
2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L
2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T Premium
Jon04CTSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
Zeeman28a
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Then it's a used car. So you pay the tax on the purchase price or the wholesale value of car, whichever is higher, usually.

Sorry to say, but you cannot get away from paying the tax.
Zeeman28a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
Cman01
CF Senior Member

Greetings Jon, nice to see you over here from GTAMC (I know, you've been here way before I joined this MB)

Tony
Old 10-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
1BDRSK
CF Senior Member

On a new car you would pay the PST on the amount you paid. On a used vehicle you will pay the PST on either the wholesale value or bill of sale amount, whichever is more.

As for having the car 'registered' in Alberta first, when you go to transfer the ownership and get Ontario plates, they will look at your Ontario drivers license number and probably say 'nice try'. Also if you 'switch' your drivers license as well to an Alberta one, they'll probably look at how long ago you changed it and quickly figure out what you were trying to do.
1BDRSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
CanadaGrant
CF Senior Member

Quote:
I think every province has their own rules but generally, if the car was registered in YOUR name in another province for a minimum of six months you could then transfer it to another province, plate it, and there would be no taxes. It would be treated as a move.
CanadaGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
Jon04CTSV
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Greetings Jon, nice to see you over here from GTAMC (I know, you've been here way before I joined this MB)

Tony
I knew I recognized that screen name from somewhere!

Looking to bring over a Vette?

2004 Cadillac CTS-V -Cammed, Z06 FRCs, B&B long-tube headers, B&B high-flow cats, B&B catback w/ X-pipe, a tune, Hotchkis sways, B&M short throw, gForce axles, etc
2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI Premium - 6-Speed, Magnaflow
2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L
2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T Premium
Jon04CTSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #11
dankhts
CF Senior Member

Registering it in Ontario if it was never registered before, is subject to PST. The selling dealer will collect the GST there...
If it's registered to you at your address in another province, and you move here, there's no provincial tax due. I can't remember the time required though...
I sell a lot of vehicles out of province, but only have to collect the GST....they pay their PST if applicable in their home province.
It gets a little rickier in Quebec and futher east, where they have the haromized tax however...
dankhts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #12
Cman01
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon04CTSV View Post
I knew I recognized that screen name from somewhere!

Looking to bring over a Vette?
I'm getting closer to getting my Z06, just figuring out where I'm gonna get it. States is the best bet, just hoping the dollar gets better and if not I'm looking at other options hence the question.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #13
Mad*Max
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BDRSK View Post
On a new car you would pay the PST on the amount you paid. On a used vehicle you will pay the PST on either the wholesale value or bill of sale amount, whichever is more.

As for having the car 'registered' in Alberta first, when you go to transfer the ownership and get Ontario plates, they will look at your Ontario drivers license number and probably say 'nice try'. Also if you 'switch' your drivers license as well to an Alberta one, they'll probably look at how long ago you changed it and quickly figure out what you were trying to do.
Mad*Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #14
McFence
CF Senior Member

I bought mine in the states.

When I went in to get ontario plates they asked for my bill of sale and charged me pst on that alone - no other issues.

Mabey there are other rules that people in other offices might get more **** about, but the point is - if you want ontario plates then will have to pay pst.
McFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:19 AM   #15
Spinner_89
CF Senior Member

Quote:
The problem may ocur that you won't be able to register the car in Alberta, unless you have an Alberta Driver's License. It is also illegal to hold two driver's licenses in Canada. So, not only will you need to be in Alberta to get your "new drivers license" and take delivery of your "new car" but you'll have to relinquish your Ontario license. Unfortunatly, being an inter-provincial thing, simply loosing your Ont license won't do.
I'm pretty sure that you'd have to hold both the license and the registration for 6 months or more.

Canadian laws state that you can operate a motor vehicle registered in another jurisdiction up to a maximum of 3 consecutive months in a calendar year. Oct-Nov-Dec (New Year) Jan-Feb-Mar, Change Back. Chances are you're not driving your new Vette over the winter months, so you may not be running as much risk of getting pulled over and questioned about the the 3 month time frame, however, you'll only be investigated if there's a claim and someone smells something funny. (Store the car in Alberta for the first winter 6 moths??) but then that still leaves you with Ontario vehicles registered in "your name" (cough) wife's name?

So the question will be how much is the tax you're going to pay, and how much is the hassle (and the trip) worth to you??? Unless you have business (or something) in Alberta to justify the unusual changes, you run the risk of having an improperly registered vehicle and as a result no insurance. Criminal might sound a little harsh, until you put it in the same sentence as tax evasion.... Doesn't sound worth it to me Sorry my friend, I'd pay the calculated taxes deemed appropriate.

Last edited by Spinner_89; 10-11-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Spinner_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:19 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Upcoming Events and Regional Discussion > Canadian Events
Reload this Page Do you have to pay Ontario PST................

Tags
alberta, bring, car, cars, ontario, ordering, pay, products, province, pst, quebec, rules, shipping, tax, vehicle