Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 12:45 AM
Vet98
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Help

Hey all.
New to the forum. Recently picked up a C5 and would like to upgrade the stock exhaust. Any suggestions for shops in the Toronto/North York area that are reasonably priced and do good work? Any help would be appreciated. Thx
Old 12-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Retsujou
Racer

I guess you would be close to Champion Motorsports?
I do hope the did not do my exhaust, because two of the welds are awful and will need to be fixed in the summer. However they do have a good reputation otherwise. There is also Scots Hotrods in Toronto which has an impeccable reputation.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:11 AM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Champion Motorsports for sure...
Old 12-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Overdrive
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vet98
Hey all.
New to the forum. Recently picked up a C5 and would like to upgrade the stock exhaust. Any suggestions for shops in the Toronto/North York area that are reasonably priced and do good work? Any help would be appreciated. Thx
You choose an exhaust system yet? Lots off different sounds and sound levels available.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Bishs
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend an exhaust system that you can operate with a cut out switch. Regular or loud.

Last edited by Bishs; 12-17-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:37 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Champion Motors for sure.

I highly suggest listening to different exhausts on actual cars. No internet sound clip can possible do exhaust justice, and there are a ton of choices both in sound and loudness.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Overdrive
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bishs
I would recommend an exhaust system that you can operate with a cut out switch. Regular or loud.
Haven't seen one of those for a C5. C6's have them though.

Magnaflow with the center mufflers is loud, rear mufflers are quieter. Borla and Corsa have some nice systems.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Retsujou
Racer

Originally Posted by corrado
Champion Motors for sure.

I highly suggest listening to different exhausts on actual cars. No internet sound clip can possible do exhaust justice, and there are a ton of choices both in sound and loudness.
I completely agree. It is also important that you listen to a car at your modification level. My Corsa Extreme exhaust will sound very different mounted on my car than it will sound on a car with no longtube headers or a camshaft etc.

If you want to hear a truly loud system (albeit C6) listen to Mister Giddyup's or mine.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:14 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

It sounds like you are thinking of going to a shop and getting them to make something up. That's possible but there are a number of header systems which typically come with the parts to reach back to just before the rear axle. There are also a number of cat-back systems which attach just before the rear axle and reach to the rear facia. These systems are typically all stainless as well with mandrel bends and tig welded. You'd be hard pressed to find a shop that would build you anything cheaper which would be nicer. But, if are looking for cheap a shop may be able to splice together something from galvanized parts cheaper.

I purchased a complete XSPower system, headers to tips and then did some tuning to pick up more power. The system installs well and I do like the catback. It's reasonable when cruising with no cabin drone yet it is loud when on the throttle.

You need to search for info on the different systems because some of the loud ones will cause very annoying cabin drone at specific speeds and engine rpm's. Heck, even some of the quieter ones do. My car had a home-made system (Magnaflow I think) on it which was much quieter than the XSPower yet it droned right at about 98kph and then again at something like 125kph.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 12-17-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Bishs
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
some of the loud ones will cause very annoying cabin drone at specific speeds and engine rpm's. Heck, even some of the quieter ones do.
This is why I like the cut-out system no the C6.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Overdrive
Drifting

I built a custom axle back for mine using Magnaflow mufflers. It's not loud at cruise and no drone. Probably quieter than most would want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVGfX..._order&list=UL

It's louder under load but I don't annoy any neighbors with it. The old fogey across the street was glad to see my son's FRC go to a new owner.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:09 PM
JUSTAKAR
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Exhaust

Good advice from the members here...

I have had several exhausts at several different power levels....
You need to choose the noise which you want, an example is that I could live with twin Borla's without headers but with headers I did not like it....with Corsa there are different sounds form each level, I tried Corsa extreme but at WOT it was way too much of an attention getter so I have went back to Ti's which are OK for me .....BUT you need to hear what is good for you.....Then you truly can make a decision.
Most guys have their cars away for the winter but if there are members with your set up go hear the different cars. Get a ride in the cars at speeds which you typically drive at, if possible.

Or since it is so quick a mod just wait on the 1st GTG and listen to a whole bunch of cars, one weekend later you could have that set up on your car.
HTH Ian

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Help

Quick Reply: Exhaust Help