Go Back   Corvette Forum > Upcoming Events and Regional Discussion > Canadian Events
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Canadian Events
Canada, eh? Sponsored by
Champion Motors

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
WATTACAR
CF Senior Member
 
WATTACAR's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Georgetown Ontario
Default Car Lift/hoist concept.. make our own?? bulk buy??

Hey folks..
I've been doing some research on a hoist/lift for my garage. I've seen a system that is actually a couple ramps that you drive up onto them, then simply jack from the rear with any standard floor jack. Such a simple and great idea. Have talked to a guy in town about the idea and he's getting me a cost to make me one up.. Great concept for an easy and cost effective way to get your car in the air. And once it's up, you can work under it or you can jack stand the car, drop the lift and all four tires will come off. The website to check out is www.kwiklift.com and look in the home garage examples. or just go directly to http://www.kwiklift.com/features.htm [/B]to see a diagram. I love the idea of this thing.. Also open to any welders in the area to make me one up. retail they are about $1500.. But really... How tough can it be??? 2 front boxes, with pivots, two ramps a cross member, and two boxes to slide under the rear. If we get a few people together who would be interested we could likely bring the cost down. Would love anyones thoughts..

Last edited by WATTACAR; 01-12-2009 at 08:58 PM.
WATTACAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
casey007
CF Senior Member
 
casey007's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Default

I like it, price is bit steep for what you get. Possibly jack stands could be used on the front whereby a front pipe rests on the stands and have a brace to prevent the stands from tipping over. Really its just the platform, let me know how you make out.
casey007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
casey007
CF Senior Member
 
casey007's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Default

check this one out http://www.eagleequip.com/page/EE/PROD/LI-LM/PAD-6000W
casey007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
WATTACAR
CF Senior Member
 
WATTACAR's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Georgetown Ontario
Default

I love the Eagle lift, and pricing is very good for it, but trying to keep the cost down even more.. Hoping to get the first concept made for $500 or less per set up. Might not be exactly as the original concept, but should hopefully work out close...
WATTACAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
WATTACAR
CF Senior Member
 
WATTACAR's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Georgetown Ontario
Default

have got a local guy interested in building a few.. any interest?
WATTACAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
FFIN90
CF Senior Member
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FFIN90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Location: ================ From Toronto ================ 9/11/01 FDNY 343 R.I.P.
Default

idea, just wish I had room for one.
FFIN90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
1mollyd
CF Senior Member
 
1mollyd's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanx68 View Post
Hey folks..
I've been doing some research on a hoist/lift for my garage. I've seen a system that is actually a couple ramps that you drive up onto them, then simply jack from the rear with any standard floor jack. Such a simple and great idea. Have talked to a guy in town about the idea and he's getting me a cost to make me one up.. Great concept for an easy and cost effective way to get your car in the air. And once it's up, you can work under it or you can jack stand the car, drop the lift and all four tires will come off. The website to check out is www.kwiklift.com and look in the home garage examples. or just go directly to http://www.kwiklift.com/features.htm [/B]to see a diagram. I love the idea of this thing.. Also open to any welders in the area to make me one up. retail they are about $1500.. But really... How tough can it be??? 2 front boxes, with pivots, two ramps a cross member, and two boxes to slide under the rear. If we get a few people together who would be interested we could likely bring the cost down. Would love anyones thoughts..
supermanx68,

Did you ever pursue this any further?

Dave
__________________
Happiness is a full tank of gas!
1mollyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
WATTACAR
CF Senior Member
 
WATTACAR's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Georgetown Ontario
Default

Actually the first one is semi in production.. I was able to score some 16' industrial car ramps from a building that was being re-done. Have enough to hopefully do a few lifts.. Looks like they should come in pretty resonably! I'll let everyone know!
WATTACAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
puzzleboy
CF Senior Member
 
puzzleboy's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanx68 View Post
Actually the first one is semi in production.. I was able to score some 16' industrial car ramps from a building that was being re-done. Have enough to hopefully do a few lifts.. Looks like they should come in pretty resonably! I'll let everyone know!
Might be interested! I was really looking for a lift that gets up high, but I'd look at anything.

Jason
puzzleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
tech2002
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Default

have done any ramps ?
I am in pursue cost effective ramps or lift that can raise car up to 30" and access from underneath I have seen only ezcarlift , but the price is too high and out of my reach since I am in Canada
tech2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
imp zog
CF Senior Member
 
imp zog's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Default

I installed one of the 4-post lifts from KwikLift, it has more than paid for itself!
imp zog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #12
WATTACAR
CF Senior Member
 
WATTACAR's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Georgetown Ontario
Default

i did the same with a direct lift. Have good ties there if you are interested in one let me know... PM me
WATTACAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
Overdrive
CF Senior Member
 
Overdrive's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Orangeville Ontario
Default

Here's a piece on building ramps to run your car up for working underneath.

http://www.corvettec3.ca/ramps.htm
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #14
tech2002
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Here's a piece on building ramps to run your car up for working underneath.

http://www.corvettec3.ca/ramps.htm
I was thinking to do that , not bad design, I was wondering if there is way to make them more portable, my garage is not big enough to have these long ramps, but this gives me a idea
tech2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #15
Mooser
72 BB Coupe
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Mooser's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2011
Location: Just North of Toronto Ontario
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATTACAR View Post
i did the same with a direct lift. Have good ties there if you are interested in one let me know... PM me
Did you ever get those ramps made into a lift or scrap the ideal and go with the Direct lift?
I don't have the height for a lift so I've been looking at making up a set of ramps.
Mooser
Mooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #16
SoCA04V
CF Senior Member
 
SoCA04V's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego CA
Default

Bringing back an old thread....did you ever get these made? Any pics to share?
SoCA04V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:17 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > Upcoming Events and Regional Discussion > Canadian Events
Reload this Page Car Lift/hoist concept.. make our own?? bulk buy??
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
1500, build, c6, car, carlift, casey007homecom, corvette, hoist, jack, lift, make, ramps, sale, toronto, vehicle


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 AM.


Emails & Password Backup