Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Epoxy garage floor-coating-Home Hardware?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Can86Z51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy garage floor-coating-Home Hardware?

OK my garage-reno guy says he's ready to start finishing my 3 car garage's smooth/bare concrete floor. Says he has a contact with Home hardware that has a good epoxy coating line of products for smooth floors like mine. Any Vette guys familiar with this stuff? Experiences, words of wisdom/warnings/recommendations? Does this stuff hold up well? I understand it comes with some kind of grit mixed in, so as to not give a too-slippery/shiny floor surface? Colors available? My garage walls are light blue, so I'm thinking beige/tan color for the floor coating! Does this stuff dry/set fairly quickly? Thanks all for any comments: *****:
Old 06-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I have used the Rustoleum product - a 2 part epoxy. Is he using the same stuff? If yes, make sure he does the clear coat afterwards. I really like my garage floor, looks very clean, especially after Spring clean-up.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:20 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Whatever product he uses, make sure he acid etches the concrete first.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:40 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep,acid etch and maybe even grinding as well.Do a bit of research on prep,apparently if the prep isn't right,the stuff won't stick no matter what brand it is.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:48 AM
tlaselva
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Yep,acid etch and maybe even grinding as well.Do a bit of research on prep,apparently if the prep isn't right,the stuff won't stick no matter what brand it is.
Yup, prep-work is just as important as the brand you use, some people would argue even more important.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:06 AM
MOSPORT1
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

The big box stores are carrying a new product that's more like a
concrete stain,,,,I didn't read all the particulars so I don't know
what the process is,, sure looks nice,, check it out..
Old 06-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Bishs
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MOSPORT1
The big box stores are carrying a new product that's more like a
concrete stain,,,,I didn't read all the particulars so I don't know
what the process is,, sure looks nice,, check it out..
I have used a stain/paint on my sidewalks and it does not stand up. Even with a protective coat.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:40 AM
luvchevs
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a neighbor that spent a lot of time painting his garage floor and after a long drive in the car the warm tires peeled the paint off the floor!
They use an epoxy coating for industrial applications, google epoxy solutions for some interesting information on concrete surface prep, etc.
Some guys use tiles to avoid the potential issues with paint/coatings. It seems that there is no PERFECT solution.

Good Luck!

Dave
Old 06-16-2009, 02:15 PM
speee
Racer

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I have used the Rustoleum product - a 2 part epoxy. Is he using the same stuff? If yes, make sure he does the clear coat afterwards. I really like my garage floor, looks very clean, especially after Spring clean-up.
Just did my 2 car garage yesterday using it... About a week to dry but looks good so far... 160 for the epoxy and 80 for the clear coat.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:02 PM
klymaxr
Instructor

LET ME GIVE YOU A LITTLE ADVICE GUYS, i HAVE DONE THIS TO 3 OF MY HOMES AND IS BY FAR...NEXT TO CERAMIC TILEING...THE BEST WAY TO DO YOUR FLOORS AND WILL LAST FOREVER! I HAVE TRIED ALL THE MAGIC COATINGS INCLUDING TWO PART EPOXY,ARMOUR COAT ETC... IN OUR ENVIROMENT, WITH THE WINTER COLD AND MOISTURE COMING UP THROUGH THE FLOOR, IT WILL ALWAYS PEEL OR BLISTER AND TURN TO POWDER. I'VE RUN SNOWMOBILES WITH STUDDS AND CARBIDE RUNNERS OVER THE FLOOR AND IT STILL SURVIVED
THE BEST WAY TO DO YOUR FLOOR IS WITH 12"X12" INDUSTIAL 1/8" VINYL FLOOR TILES WITH THE "TAR" BASED GLUE (BLACK). THESE TILES STAY FLEXIBLE AND WILL CONTOUR TO ANY CRACKS THAT DEVELOP IN THE FLOOR OVER TIME, THEY ARE SOLVENT RESISTANT AND COME IN 50 DIFFERENT COLOUR COMBO'S. ASK ANYONE WHO HAS SEEN MY DREAM CAR GARAGES. SNAP A CHAULK LINE ACCROSS THE FRONT OF THE GARAGE UNDER THE DOORS, FROM SIDE TO SIDE WITHOUT TOUCHINGANYTHING IN ITS PATH, TROWEL ON THE GLUE APPROX 2 TILES DEEP, LET TACH UP AND THEN LAY YOUR FIRST ROW, AFTER THAT THEY ALL LAY STRAIGHT AS AN ARROW...YOU'LL FIND OUT HOW STRAIGHT YOUR WALLS ARE NOW COMPARED TO THE FRONT DOORS!! THIS IS BY FAR THE MOST LASTING AND ECCONOMICAL METHOD, IT WORKS OUT TO BE $1.00 A SQUARE FT...THATS RIGHT $1.00 A FT, TILES RANGE WHERE YOU BUY FROM .75 TO .90 AND YOU WILL NEED TWO GALS OF GLUE FOR A TYP 18X20 TWO CAR GARAGE.
MAX
Old 06-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Can86Z51
Instructor

Looks like the Rustoleum epoxy has the lead for me! Not surprised that the floor-prep is very important! Questions - I would like the clear-coat, but dry time might be an issue. Do we do the base epoxy, then wait for it to fully dry(a week?) BEFORE applying the clear top coat? Or is it best to do the base epoxy-wait howevever long to fully dry, THEN apply the top/clear finish coat? Does the clear then dry any faster? Any guesses as to material costs to coat a large garage flloor(30 by 22 feet) for both base epoxy , plus the finish/clear on top? Thanks again for all info. Cheers!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:23 PM
speee
Racer

Originally Posted by Can86Z51
Looks like the Rustoleum epoxy has the lead for me! Not surprised that the floor-prep is very important! Questions - I would like the clear-coat, but dry time might be an issue. Do we do the base epoxy, then wait for it to fully dry(a week?) BEFORE applying the clear top coat? Or is it best to do the base epoxy-wait howevever long to fully dry, THEN apply the top/clear finish coat? Does the clear then dry any faster? Any guesses as to material costs to coat a large garage flloor(30 by 22 feet) for both base epoxy , plus the finish/clear on top? Thanks again for all info. Cheers!
It needs to sit for atleast 1 full day before apply in the clear coat. im going to be putting my clear coat on tomorow night after work.
After that it needs 5 days to set before cars can drive on it. after a couple days you can walk on it.... Its gonnna look nice hope it lasts.

My standard 2 car garage cost almost 300 with taxes and everything
Old 06-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by speee
It needs to sit for atleast 1 full day before apply in the clear coat. im going to be putting my clear coat on tomorow night after work.
After that it needs 5 days to set before cars can drive on it. after a couple days you can walk on it.... Its gonnna look nice hope it lasts.

My standard 2 car garage cost almost 300 with taxes and everything
As added protection, for the first week or so of parking in the garage again, I put cardboard where the tires sit, this prevents the heat from tearing off the fresh epoxy.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Can86Z51
Instructor

Good info to know! Thanks for this!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:54 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I was looking at this they have a Canadian Dealer in Kitchener

http://ucoatit.com/pgs/main.htm
Old 06-16-2009, 11:30 PM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 58 Posts

trust me guys I was in this business floor coating in this country does not stand up period no matter what coating or method you use. VINYL FLOOR TILES or RACEDECK TYPE SNAP ON TILES is the only way to go.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

Location: 406ci SB, AFR 180 Heads - 490 HP @5,600 RPM 529 lb-ft @ 4,100 RPM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I must have done something right, this a my 5th year for this painted floor and it has never been touched up. It was done with CTC (Canadian Tire) latex porch & cement paint $30.00 per gallon I believe I paid.

Get notified of new replies

To Epoxy garage floor-coating-Home Hardware?

Old 06-17-2009, 04:37 PM
klymaxr
Instructor

i AGREE WITH ONTCANUCK,i HAVE TRIED IT ALL,THE ONLY SAVIOR WOULD BE IF YOUR GARAGE IS HEATED. EVEN THEN THE MOISTURE STILL COMES UP THROUGH IN THE WINTER AND BUBBLES THE EPOXY. I EVEN RENTED A 24" SANDER WITH 2 GRIT PAPER AND DID THE WHOLE FLOOR TO PREP MINE AND IT STILL PEALED
Old 06-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by klymaxr
i AGREE WITH ONTCANUCK,i HAVE TRIED IT ALL,THE ONLY SAVIOR WOULD BE IF YOUR GARAGE IS HEATED. EVEN THEN THE MOISTURE STILL COMES UP THROUGH IN THE WINTER AND BUBBLES THE EPOXY. I EVEN RENTED A 24" SANDER WITH 2 GRIT PAPER AND DID THE WHOLE FLOOR TO PREP MINE AND IT STILL PEALED
Did you use a two-part epoxy?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:10 PM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 58 Posts

it doesn't matter what you use.If you use the garage for your DD forget it.If you have a heated garage and its used to park your toy only maybe but it will still chip and touching it up will always show.Stick on vinyl tiles,glue on vinyl tiles or interlocking tiles (race deck)is the only way to go

Quick Reply: Epoxy garage floor-coating-Home Hardware?