Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Small auto parts shipping from US?

Old 07-15-2009, 09:25 AM
luvchevs
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Small auto parts shipping from US?

I am looking to ship a touch up paint kit from the US to Canada.
The product costs $40, they ship by UPS and said it will be between $20 and $27 for shipping. I also know that UPS typically adds additional charges for brokerage etc.
What suggestions do you guys have to do this more economically?

Dave
Old 07-15-2009, 09:43 AM
OBSESHON Mark
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Dave. Ask them if they can send it by USPS ( US Postal Service)
Usually small items can be sent this way for a very reasonable cost.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Paint

I bought mine from Ken Fitchner in the US.He's a CF Vendor.Bob the parts guy mailed it to me USPS.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:58 AM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy from bob fetchner, he did sent me thru USPS.
USPS is the way to go, i recieved few parts last week and usps, well canada post did not charge anything, listed 125 bucks on invoice but i walk free, i dont know why.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 AM
puzzleboy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not use UPS. They are the biggest ripoff. USPS only.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Highway Dancer
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed. Thumbs down to UPS or Fedex for that matter. USPS ONLY
Old 07-15-2009, 12:36 PM
JAX93
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Site for Shipping Costs

Originally Posted by luvchevs
The product costs $40, they ship by UPS and said it will be between $20 and $27 for shipping. I also know that UPS typically adds additional charges for brokerage etc.

Dave
Dave,......the following is a website that allows you to determine the actual shipping costs, regardless of shipper and calculates the Can/US Dollar Exchange at the same time. Hope you are lucky enough to have it shipped by USPS, and not so unlucky that you have to get it via UPS or FedEx with their obscene brokerage fees. .......Jack

http://www.thefinalcost.com/shipments/calculate/
Old 07-15-2009, 12:47 PM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

Dave, do not, I repeat do not use UPS. They are the biggest ripoffs. I am in the transportation industry and we ship all over the world. I just ordered a Billet aluminum exhaust plate from West Coast Corvettes at a reasonable price ($169.00) US. I asked the person at WCC how much to get it to Ontario and she said $20.00US. I said ok. It takes about a week, so I guess it comes by transport, no problem, I'm not in a hurry.
Well 10 days from the order I get a notice in my mailbox that UPS tried to deliver it. It cost $81.25 CND to ship it up here via UPS. I phoned WCC and she said that $20.00US was just to ship it here and not include the customs, I almost blew up on the phone because initially thats not what she told me. She said it would cost $20.00US. I refused the shipment. That is downright robbery. I refuse to pay that much for a piece of aluminum that weighs less than a pound and took the slowboat to china to get here.
Use the US Postal Service, their the cheapest.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:23 PM
JAX93
Advanced

Dave, further to my post about a website that shows you in advance what an item will cost ....to your door in Canadian Funds, depending on which carrier you use.....(See Below) I canceled an order last week from Corvette Central when they said they can't use USPS to Canada. The UPS brokerage fees, shipping and taxes, was as much as the item. Just added the item to my list for next winter in Florida. Most of the time when you get a small item via USPS there are no rip-off PST and GST Taxes either.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:41 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by JAX93
Dave, further to my post about a website that shows you in advance what an item will cost ....to your door in Canadian Funds, depending on which carrier you use.....(See Below) I canceled an order last week from Corvette Central when they said they can't use USPS to Canada. The UPS brokerage fees, shipping and taxes, was as much as the item. Just added the item to my list for next winter in Florida. Most of the time when you get a small item via USPS there are no rip-off PST and GST Taxes either.

Corvette Central does all the brokerage paperwork in house and it is free. They are the only ones to do this and you only pay the actual shipping charges. They do use UPS but there are NEVER any charges at the door when buying from Corvette Central. Sometimes they even have free shipping to Canada as a special.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:11 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 325 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
Corvette Central does all the brokerage paperwork in house and it is free. They are the only ones to do this and you only pay the actual shipping charges. They do use UPS but there are NEVER any charges at the door when buying from Corvette Central. Sometimes they even have free shipping to Canada as a special.
That's why I usually buy from them if I can... even when I've ordered several items, and something was backordered, there was no additional shipping charges when they finally arrived...
Old 07-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Highway Hawk
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by luvchevs

Dave
A bunch of us already use CBI USA, a warehouse in Niagara Falls, NY. Just order the stuff, ship it there, and pick it up yourself. For small stuff you can usually get away with no taxes or brokerage even if you claim it at the border. There's usually someone headed down there from our group so they might even pick your stuff up at the same time they pick up their own. Call me later if you want more info.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:34 PM
JAX93
Advanced

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
An email from Corvette Central (copied and pasted)

Sorry we do not offer mail shipping to Canada. The shipping to your location is $15.93,tax of $4.15 nothing else due upon delivery. Did you want to proceed with your order?......this is my email from Corvette Central after I placed my order....I canceled the bloody order.

This is for shipping a set of Speed Bleeders for my 93 Corvette. It's like putting two Deck Screws in an envelope. If you think that is a fair shipping cost via UPS from Michigan to Toronto...you must have money to spare.... I Don't.

Last edited by JAX93; 07-15-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:13 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by JAX93
An email from Corvette Central (copied and pasted)

Sorry we do not offer mail shipping to Canada. The shipping to your location is $15.93,tax of $4.15 nothing else due upon delivery. Did you want to proceed with your order?......this is my email from Corvette Central after I placed my order....I canceled the bloody order.

This is for shipping a set of Speed Bleeders for my 93 Corvette. It's like putting two Deck Screws in an envelope. If you think that is a fair shipping cost via UPS from Michigan to Toronto...you must have money to spare.... I Don't.
Shipping anything costs money, and no, I don't have money to spare. If you want speed bleeders, go down to your local auto parts store. When you ship something it doesn't matter if it is worth two cents or two grand. It's the size and weight of the package. Maybe next time you ask for advice you could do it somewhere else? I probably hate UPS just as much as you do but I sure don't need your "money to spare" crap.
Grant
Old 07-15-2009, 08:20 PM
BRIANSC6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two options for shipping from the US

To your front door=USPS (reasonably priced no suprises)

If you are willing to drive to Niagra Falls NY CBI, courier cost is cheaper and some times vendors offer free shipping within the continental US.

You will still need to pay pst & gst at Canada Customs no different than having it shipped via USPS and CBI charges a storage fee per package usually around $6.

I have found that is still cheaper shipping to CBI so it all comes down to the convenience of having it shipped to your door. For a single shipment I'd do USPS but I usually order stuff over a couple of months, let it sit at CBI and then go down and pick up all my goodies at one time, like I am tomorrow.

If you are a frequent flyer you can even get an account so you can log in and see if they have received your package yet.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I just bought a nylon bra from Corvette Central during their recent"free shipping to Canada offer".They shipped UPS,no signature required & all I paid was the exchange on the dollar.Received in 3 days.No duties/taxes.Their customer phone service is excellent!
Old 04-17-2015, 05:36 AM
jdiggle
4th Gear

The US Postal Service is a much cheaper option for shipping I think ...

Get notified of new replies

To Small auto parts shipping from US?

Old 04-17-2015, 09:15 AM
Cdn UFO
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jdiggle
The US Postal Service is a much cheaper option for shipping I think ...
Hey are you relatetd to Dirk Diggler
Old 04-17-2015, 09:34 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Wait a minute...
Is this Cliff Claven?!?

Sam and Norm asked you to come back to Cheers and stop trying to drum up business for the US Postal Service!

Last edited by corrado; 04-17-2015 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 04-17-2015, 10:35 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by corrado
Wait a minute...
Is this Cliff Claven?!?

Sam and Norm asked you to come back to Cheers and stop trying to drum up business for the US Postal Service!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Small auto parts shipping from US?