Canadian Events Canada, eh?

FINALLY got to drive a 'Vette on the race track!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Default FINALLY got to drive a 'Vette on the race track!!

We just ran the last events of the SoloSprint series this past weekend at Shannonville. Well, on Sunday, my '93 Camaro "road race car" gave up on me (fuel pump) before I could post any times for the day. Bummer.

SO, I talked to a fellow competitor and friend from my club, and he let me drive his '98 Corvette for a couple sessions, so I could post some times and save my points for the season.

The car is a BONE STOCK C5, running on a set of Hoosier R6's. All I can say is ........... WOW!!!!! NOW I can TRULY appreciate what all the hype is about!!!

I had the pleasure of going for ride-alongs at Mosport recently with "Maximum Bob", Steve (Mosport1), and Krispy ... in their respective Z06's. Those rides were huge eye-openers for me. Now having DRIVEN a 'Vette on the track, I can see (more specifically, FEEL) where they have their advantage over the more "primitive" F-Body.

GRIP. Where my car would get all fussy and out of line, the 'Vette just digs in and GOES, even if it's mid-corner throttle!! And coming into a nasty, bumpy braking zone, where the Camaro would often times get upset ... no problem! :o

It's no secret that I've had a bit of a hard-on for a 'Vette for a long time, but I think it's about time I finally give up on the Camaro and step up. If anybody knows somebody who's interested in a pretty well setup '93 Camaro (full roll cage, coil-over suspension, etc., etc.) I know where there may be one available!!!!

Hopefully next year I can join you guys in a more "appropriate" car on track .

BTW: Congratulations are in order to Krispy for winning the overall SoloSprint Championship, in his 2002 Z06!! Job well done, dude!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:20 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Another convert!
Old 09-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Krispy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Pete!!

It was good seeing you out there in the vette and giving Brad a run for his money. Epic
Old 09-15-2009, 05:19 PM
z060-0
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
We just ran the last events of the SoloSprint series this past weekend at Shannonville. Well, on Sunday, my '93 Camaro "road race car" gave up on me (fuel pump) before I could post any times for the day. Bummer.

SO, I talked to a fellow competitor and friend from my club, and he let me drive his '98 Corvette for a couple sessions, so I could post some times and save my points for the season.

The car is a BONE STOCK C5, running on a set of Hoosier R6's. All I can say is ........... WOW!!!!! NOW I can TRULY appreciate what all the hype is about!!!

I had the pleasure of going for ride-alongs at Mosport recently with "Maximum Bob", Steve (Mosport1), and Krispy ... in their respective Z06's. Those rides were huge eye-openers for me. Now having DRIVEN a 'Vette on the track, I can see (more specifically, FEEL) where they have their advantage over the more "primitive" F-Body.

GRIP. Where my car would get all fussy and out of line, the 'Vette just digs in and GOES, even if it's mid-corner throttle!! And coming into a nasty, bumpy braking zone, where the Camaro would often times get upset ... no problem! :o

It's no secret that I've had a bit of a hard-on for a 'Vette for a long time, but I think it's about time I finally give up on the Camaro and step up. If anybody knows somebody who's interested in a pretty well setup '93 Camaro (full roll cage, coil-over suspension, etc., etc.) I know where there may be one available!!!!

Hopefully next year I can join you guys in a more "appropriate" car on track .

BTW: Congratulations are in order to Krispy for winning the overall SoloSprint Championship, in his 2002 Z06!! Job well done, dude!!!
Got a question. Is that 02 Z a red one out of Ottawa?? If it is, I've riddin with him once there. Man, can that guy drive. If you want a 02 Z in the spring, I might have one for sale. Lookin the pickup a c6 next year.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:20 PM
fire_n_ice
Racer

Good luck with the search, Pete. Yep, the same thought goes through my head every time I leave a track day for the ride home... "what a car". Out of the box, they're tremendously capable and with a little tweak here and there, there isn't much that can compete with them on the track.

Sounds like you'll be setting yours up right. Can't wait to see.

Ramon
Old 09-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Krispy
Instructor

Originally Posted by z060-0
Got a question. Is that 02 Z a red one out of Ottawa?? If it is, I've riddin with him once there. Man, can that guy drive. If you want a 02 Z in the spring, I might have one for sale. Lookin the pickup a c6 next year.

nope, it's black. I can't think of anybody from Ottawa running a red Z06 in SoloSprint, but it'd be nice to see!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

I know the red one that they're talking about ... not sure the guy's name, but he came out to the last Dexter day ~3 weeks ago. Very fast car (he was walking away from my ~1:35's!).
Old 09-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Krispy
It was good seeing you out there in the vette and giving Brad a run for his money. Epic
I couldn't believe when I was told that I was 2 tenths ahead of Brad!! (120.5 vs. 120.7 seconds). Too bad he got 2 more sessions to make it up, and got me by ~.03 seconds! If I had at least ONE more session, I think I couldn't have taken him still!!

Regardless, seeing the potential of the CAR, and "me" in the car ... I've gotta have one .

So, does anybody want to buy my '93 Z28???

Get notified of new replies

To FINALLY got to drive a 'Vette on the race track!!

Quick Reply: FINALLY got to drive a 'Vette on the race track!!