Canadian Events Canada, eh?

GM: Mobil 1 vs Castrol ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Mike Jung
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default GM: Mobil 1 vs Castrol ?

I posted this before elsewhere (another forum) but never got an answer...

Originally Posted by Mike Jung
Anyone work for GM, a GM dealer, Mobil 1 or Castrol ?

Back in '08 I noticed local GM dealers going to Castrol for synthetic motor oil changes.

Know what's up with GM's selection of synthetic motor oil ?

I went to get an oil change at my local Pontiac dealer...

They are now promoting (& so is GM Canada):
Castrol SLX Professional 4718 5W-30 synthetic motor oil.
That is made by Castrol US for GM Canada.

What happened to Mobil 1 being GM's preferred synthetic oil suppler ?

On the Weber / Gravenhurst run my OLM came on to "Service the Engine Oil".
My selling Caddy dealer offered to change my oil with the Castrol SLX Professional 4718 5W-30 synthetic for $129.95 (on special right now).

My OLM (that is set up for dino motor oil) was at 3% life left.
11.5 months & 14,387 km on the oil.

I buy my own 9x 1L bottles of (German) Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic motor oil & a NAPA Gold 7060 (similar to AC Delco PF-48) oil filter.
Take it into my local Pontiac dealer, & pay them $19.99 labour + $3 recycle fee & taxes
& today, I got a free Castrol offical sponsor - South Africa 2010 FIFA ball cap
$140 later & my oil is changed

What does a Corvette oil change cost at a GM dealer ?
& do they still use Mobil 1 5W-30, or is it now Castrol Castrol SLX Professional 4718 5W-30 ?

Last edited by Mike Jung; 05-17-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Cdn ZR1 95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the free SLX Oil Change coupon they handed out at Gateway a couple weeks ago is worth a few bucks!
I agree, it seems kind of strange that Castrol is throwing all this support in Chevy Dealers when Mobil 1 has an affiliation with Corvette.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

I prefer ~$25 oil changes. ~$20 for the oil, ~$5 filter. It was even better when oil was only ~$10 a jug a few years ago. Motor still pulls strong with over 130k on it. I was just at Mosport DDT yesterday beating the crap out of it . Pretty much the only time I've run Mobil1 is if I've won a free jug at an event (I think I bought it the first couple oil changes I did on the car when I first bought it, then decided that it was way too expensive! ).

I can't imagine spending ~$140 on an oil change ... that's just nuts!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Mike Jung
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
...I can't imagine spending ~$140 on an oil change ... that's just nuts!
Yeah, my G8 GT needs 8.5L for an oil change

(German) Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic motor oil = $11.35 x 9 1L bottles = $102.11
NAPA Gold 7060 oil filter = $11.76
Oil changed at my local Pontiac dealer = $25.98 ($19.99 labour & $3 recycling fee + taxes)
= $139.85

PS: Thank you Patman for being the brave one testing the GC (German Castrol Syntec 0W-30) in your C5 LS1 Corvette years ago

Last edited by Mike Jung; 05-17-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:17 PM
use2bl8
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Mobil 1, due to them sponsoring our club. I've never had an issue with it.

Actually Patman recommends Pennzoil Platinum, goes on sale at Walmart for around $20 a jug. Best overall value.

He is now trying Castrol Edge which isn't available in Canada, is alot more expensive. Any updates or samples yet Pat?!?
Old 05-18-2010, 03:06 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by use2bl8
Actually Patman recommends Pennzoil Platinum, goes on sale at Walmart for around $20 a jug. Best overall value.
Hmmm, I should probably consider that, since the price isn't bad, and it's a "Patman tested & certified" oil . It's too bad Wallymart stopped selling AC Delco filters a few years ago. I hate making separate trips for oil & filter, and since all they sell are Fram (not very good filters from anything I've ever read?), then it necessitates a second trip (if buying the oil at Walmart).
Old 05-18-2010, 05:26 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by use2bl8
I use Mobil 1, due to them sponsoring our club. I've never had an issue with it.

He is now trying Castrol Edge which isn't available in Canada, is alot more expensive. Any updates or samples yet Pat?!?
I'm running the new Pennzoil Ultra actually (which still isn't sold up here yet), and I'm still a long way away from the results, as I want to run it for the full interval of the oil life monitor, which will be approximately 11,000 km as usual, so that won't be until the end of summer or the fall.

I have run Pennzoil Platinum in it for the past few years with excellent results, and still think it's a great oil (and a great value since Walmart sold it for $20 per 4.4L jug for the longest time) but was eager to try Pennzoil's latest offering since it's supposed to be an improvement over Platinum. Before Platinum I ran the original green colored German Castrol for years and it did very well also. The wear numbers were slightly better than Platinum, but the price was higher, and then Castrol tweaked the formula slightly, and although I never tested that new formula, others that did found it to be pretty close to the original.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:34 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
Hmmm, I should probably consider that, since the price isn't bad, and it's a "Patman tested & certified" oil . It's too bad Wallymart stopped selling AC Delco filters a few years ago. I hate making separate trips for oil & filter, and since all they sell are Fram (not very good filters from anything I've ever read?), then it necessitates a second trip (if buying the oil at Walmart).
I don't like the lower priced Frams, but I am currently running the top level Extended Guard Fram oil filter actually. It's a completely different filter, which uses metal endcaps (instead of fiber on the lower priced ones) and has a real nice 2 ply synthetic filtering media backed by a wire mesh screen, plus a silicone antidrainback valve. I pick them up at Partsource when they go on sale for $9.99. I heard that Canadian Tire is bringing the Mobil 1 filters up here soon though, and they are extremely good so if they price them right (under $12 when on sale that is) then I'll probably switch to them. The K&N oil filter is also an awesome deal when it goes on sale (I wouldn't pay the regular price of $15.99) The NAPA Gold is also a great filter too. I'm not a fan of the newest version of the AC Delco, as they are no longer made by Wix (they used to be almost identical to the NAPA Golds) but instead use what is known as the ecore design which uses fiber endcaps and a flimsy plastic center tube.

Here is a thread from BITOG showing cut open pics of the new design AC Delco, they speak for themselves:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1806202
Old 05-18-2010, 07:14 AM
Highway Hawk
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Jung
Yeah, my G8 GT needs 8.5L for an oil change

(German) Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic motor oil = $11.35 x 9 1L bottles = $102.11
NAPA Gold 7060 oil filter = $11.76
Oil changed at my local Pontiac dealer = $25.98 ($19.99 labour & $3 recycling fee + taxes)
= $139.85

PS: Thank you Patman for being the brave one testing the GC (German Castrol Syntec 0W-30) in your C5 LS1 Corvette years ago
Switch to Penzoil Platinum Mike. I put 2 jugs in my G8 GT last oil change ($20 / jug) along with a Napa Gold filter ($7 in the States).

Get notified of new replies

To GM: Mobil 1 vs Castrol ?

Quick Reply: GM: Mobil 1 vs Castrol ?