1966 427-425 ncrs tech session at wilson niblett

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:52 PM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 1966 427-425 ncrs tech session at wilson niblett

If you are in the market for a mid-year Big Block my car is for sale.
It is a Top Flight car and will be used in the judges training seminar at put on by NCRS at Wilson Niblett on Saturday.
I will be there to answer any questions but the sole function of the car Saturday is for use in the judging seminar so no road tests etc.

Below is a description of the car

March 25, 2011
1966 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

The car was purchased new at Carter Chev-Olds in Calgary Alberta Canada. I have no documentation other than the plastic Corvette Club card issued at the time. Purchaser was Earle T. Hill currently residing on William Street in Buckhorn Ontario.

On December 23, 1982 Mr. Hill sold the car to Ernest Johnston of Nepean Ontario.

I purchased the car from Mr. Johnston on July 29, 1988 and have owned it since. Documentation for the last 2 transactions is included.

I drove the car about 500 miles a year until 2005. The odometer failed at about 63,000 miles, like so many other cars, and I would estimate the total milage to 2005 to be in the area of 70,000 miles. Mr. Johnston had done a rather poor quality paint job and I think that was the main reason I didn’t drive the car much……… They attract a lot of attention and when people got up close they could see it wasn’t that nice.

In the fall of 2005 I decided to tackle the heater core replacement as one really needed a defroster/heater on cool fall night drives. The heater core job had a severe case of project creep and I ended up starting out on a complete body off restoration that eventually took 2 years to complete.

The Car
It is a Silver Pearl convertible with a black interior and roof. There are no options on the car except for the L72 427/425 motor and other options such as K66 transistor ignition and F41 suspension that were mandatory with the L72. That includes 4 speed and positraction. It has the 3.55 rear end. There are no other options: no radio, no PS, PB etc.

When I purchased it it was a very solid, no rust no hit original car and it remains that way today.

The Engine and Power Train

The car had a 351 casting number block which is what would be correct for a 1967 427 car. Since I was going to do my restoration as close as reasonably possible to achieve maximum NCRS points I sourced a correctly dated 942 block and had it built to be as original as possible. One head is from a 1967 model year as well. Both exhaust manifolds, intake, distributor, alternator, starter, water pump, transmission, rear end are all correctly coded and dated and original to the cas as far as I know. I did not receive any deduction at NCRS judging for the pad. The carburetor is a correct Holly 3247.

The transmission and differential were gone over and had all new bearings etc by a local NCRS member with a great reputation for this kind of work.

The Chassis

We verified that the frame was straight and did a thorough inspection of the full frame. It was as close to perfect as one could hope after 40 years with just surface rust that cleaned up very well. The only fix that was required was to the rear body mounts where some rust had enlarged the bolt holes and the metal was a bit thin. We repaired it so that it was undetectable and perfect. The frame was finished with a high build primer and correct black low gloss paint.

I used the original parts as much as possible but opted for new fuel and brake lines, rotors, bearings etc. The rear trailing arms and steering box were rebuilt by the same NCRS fellow mentioned above.
I stayed as close to original and NCRS spec, using the judging manual as my primary guide during the process. The only deviation was where I wanted to ensure that the like new look would last longer. The drive shaft, half shafts and sway bars should be bare metal. They are painted in grey rust proof paint. I lost a few points for that at judging but I feel it is worth it long term.

I also opted for a DeWitts aluminum reproduction radiator. Again lost a few points (5) but the improved cooling performance is a great enhancement

Body and Interior

Thecarpets, seat backs and seat covers were replaced with new Al Knoch pieces as was the convertible top. Door panels are original.
Left door mirror and windshield were replaced with correctly dated new units. The instrument cluster was sent to Florida and completely refurbished. Wiper motor also. Headlight motors have been rebuilt.
All chrome and stainless was professionally polished locally.

Wiring harness is new everywhere except the rear section.

The body was painted with base/clear in the correct silver pearl. Door jambs and under hood area are correctly dull.

The car scored 98.5% and won an NCRS Top Flight award the first time it was judged on May 26, 2007. I have put about 1200 miles on it since then.

Bob MacDonald
bob.macd@rogers.com

Cheers

Last edited by 66L72; 03-25-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:29 PM
funcoulo
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GLWS Bob.

Quick Reply: 1966 427-425 ncrs tech session at wilson niblett