Buying a car out of province

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 12:54 PM
frankies_2
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Buying a car out of province

Hello all,

Just a quick question, I'm thinking of buying a car out of province. What are the rules about that, if I buy a car from a non-HST province (AB or Quebec) do I have to pay the tax difference when I bring it back to Ontario or do I just pay the GST and be done with it

Thanks!
-Frank
Old 10-30-2011, 01:04 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

do research as i did......stay away from quebec (assuming not a new car), too many in the industry have told me.....quebec is far less regulated than all the other provinces re: accident reports, speedo rollbacks etc......
Old 10-30-2011, 07:52 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by frankies_2
Hello all,

Just a quick question, I'm thinking of buying a car out of province. What are the rules about that, if I buy a car from a non-HST province (AB or Quebec) do I have to pay the tax difference when I bring it back to Ontario or do I just pay the GST and be done with it

Thanks!
-Frank
Short answer is you pay both......the Ontario tax will be due when you get Ontario plates...
Old 11-04-2011, 12:47 AM
hwcoop
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just did the opposite bought a car in Ontario and brought it back to Alberta...
You almost need a tax attorney to read thier web site but what it boiled down for me was..
If the car was purchased in Ontario(HST Province) but was delivered(shipped) to Alberta(Non HST Province) I just pay GST.
If the car is purchased in Ontario and possesion takes place in Ontario I pay HST and can claim a refund if the car is registered in a non HST province.
My buddy was the dealer and just to keep his books all straight I just paid the HST and claimed a refund...
Then I had to pay Crappy tire for an OOP inspection and they ripped me off for a wheel alingnment on a car I just drove 3,500kms with no issues

Fun Wow eh kids

Last edited by hwcoop; 11-04-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:56 AM
ZR-1 1991
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frankies_2
Hello all,

Thanks!
-Frank
I purchased a car in Ontario , and drove it to Nfld , I paid the GST in Ontario , and the PST when I returned to Nfld , I had to get a 10 day IN TRANSIT permit that cost $50.00 . This is a lot better than paying PST in Ontario , paying it again in Nfld then applying to the Ontario government for a refund.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:39 AM
frankies_2
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info everyone!

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a car out of province

Quick Reply: Buying a car out of province