Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Default Canadian Restoration TV Show

Any body catch it last night?
Discovery at 11pm.

They have "40 customer cars" int he shop, plus their own that they buy and flip.

Building a '35 Bugatti replica out of hand made Magnesium body panels. Chassis looked ready to go. They're 4 years into it for the customer.
Original car was "lost" in the late 30's and only 11 photos exist of the car. To get the "proper scale" to build it they are using a rad cap as a basis to "measure" the car to get it right. Good grief. If I heard correct they already have 14000 man hours into the body and chassis. At $80/hr that's $1.12million and its not been painted or any interior work done. They haven't even put the body on the chassis yet!

56 (?) T bird. "six figure" restoration. The underside looked as if it was just pulled from a barn, all greasy and messy looking. The top and interior were awsome looking though.

20's era pick-up project looks like its going to be a nice machine when completed. Barn fresh right now.

They tore apart a REALLY NICE looking 69 Cadillac Barritz to make a movie car replica. Shame, was a cool looking car as it was, just needed some nice wheels to set off the bergundy body and black top.

Owners look like decent guys, Shop Mgr looks like hes over his head, Mechanics look like they don't care about delays, Much like the old Boyd Coddington TV show.

Don't know if I can mention the Brantford area company. They may not be a supporting vendor. I'd hate to get "Guild"ed for it. Looks like its going to quite the "Automotive Restorers" tv show.

I'm going to watch it until it gets stupid anyway.

dodosmike
Old 02-29-2012, 10:35 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

11pm?

Waaay past my bedtime!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by dankhts
11pm?

Waaay past my bedtime!
mine to usually, but i was up due to an unforseen emergency ......ummm...... "man part" Emergency Room surgery last night. Put it this way, I'm sitting "lightly" today.

No popcorn or peanuts for me for awhile.

dodosmike
Old 02-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodosmike
i was up due to an unforseen emergency ......ummm...... "man part" Emergency Room surgery last night. Put it this way, I'm sitting "lightly" today.
Hope you're feeling better.

I watched it yesterday and found it very interesting. Did I read it was the first episode? Once the show was over my brain didn't want to shut off and I kept trying to figure out how many hours it would take to do a body off resto on a 75' Vette. Doh! I also found it odd that they would try to get a 50% profit at auction on a couple of there resto's and didn't come close? My wife was sleeping so I didn't have the tv loud enough but did I hear that right?

What I found odd is that the shop seemed really busy and the shop manager was concerned they didn't have enough work therefore took on more. Either there understaffed or have issues with time management. I also found it cool that the 22-24 year old was having that car restored for sentimental reasons based on recent family members passing away.

They talked about having 1600 hours into the T-Bird.........wow. And "The Car" needed about 1200 hours and the owner had a present budget of around 20k..........yikes! Looks like they came to a deal with the owner doing some of the work.

Yup found it really interesting and as you said, "I'm going to watch it until it gets stupid anyway"

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 02-29-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:05 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Had to head off to work,so I'll check it out later.How bad could it be,good to see another car show instead of yet another crap "Dancing,Lip Synching With LGBTG,Bullied,Whiny,Has Been Stars" show...
Old 02-29-2012, 08:01 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Saw it as well, wonder who has the original Bugatti, it has to be somewhere, probably some high end oil shiek, and who is the client they are building the replica for, it is going to be nearly 1M $$$$ car ????
The Guiold has been around for awhile, they have lots of money to play with toys, and have been known to really bring out some great work.
Was wondering about the T-Bird as well, that underside, must not have been in the budget. You know what they say......Green side up, or in that case, blue....

Last edited by oldsarge; 02-29-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Brooklinite
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The Guild is in Bradford.

Always lots of cool $tuff to see there.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:30 AM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Brooklinite
The Guild is in Bradford.

Always lots of cool $tuff to see there.
I think they started out on 48 in Ringwood??
Old 05-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Iguana
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is show still on the air?

I saw and taped this show. I had heard that it got high ratings, but have not seen it again on Speed TV. Did they ever tape more than 1 show? I loved it.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:00 PM
ranchergirl
1st Gear

What an over-ego stuffed shirt bunch of BSers. It does not take 4wks to redo a bumper at a cost of $80/hr. It could be done in a week. Everything was so outrageously over priced it spoiled the show for me. It showed the mark-up of how they charge when they went from $113,000 down to $35,000 on the 1969 Lincoln car just to get the job. Some people must be just plain stupid to take all this in and think, OOH what a great show, and rate it #1show for that time slot. Like they say "a sucker is born every minute", to keep all the auto shops in business. I don't mind paying for things but I hate like hell to be taken.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Paul Taylor Sr.
3rd Gear

Default Restoration Garage

Hello Corvette Forum,
It's nice to see so many chatting about our show, good-and-bad alike. Hope everyone who likes it countinues to tune in. Thanks for watching.
Paul Sr.
Restoration Garage
Old 08-30-2013, 09:39 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ranchergirl
What an over-ego stuffed shirt bunch of BSers. It does not take 4wks to redo a bumper at a cost of $80/hr. It could be done in a week. Everything was so outrageously over priced it spoiled the show for me. It showed the mark-up of how they charge when they went from $113,000 down to $35,000 on the 1969 Lincoln car just to get the job. Some people must be just plain stupid to take all this in and think, OOH what a great show, and rate it #1show for that time slot. Like they say "a sucker is born every minute", to keep all the auto shops in business. I don't mind paying for things but I hate like hell to be taken.
Usually the more inept people are, the more they enjoy and think these shows are "real"
I don't watch much TV LOL

Last edited by QIK59; 08-30-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:56 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Taylor Sr.
Hello Corvette Forum,
It's nice to see so many chatting about our show, good-and-bad alike. Hope everyone who likes it countinues to tune in. Thanks for watching.
Paul Sr.
Restoration Garage
Had the show playing in the background the other night,didn't get a chance to have a real good look at it.A definite improvement on the pilot episodes shown last year,I'll have another watch next week.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:12 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Having lived in BRADford for 14 years, I frequented The Guild. always a great bunch of cars to check out, but also an extensive inventory of models and gifts. It's also where I still get my POR 15.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:16 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

The chick was cute, too bad she lived in T.O.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

What ever happened to reality being real??
Old 09-01-2013, 10:33 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

It's interesting but in no way reality.

That T-bird was not a year long 6 figure ground up restoration. If it was then the owner either screwed up royally not getting the scope of work on paper or he has the working of a future lawsuit for work not performed. It appears to be a paint job and interior freshening. I would hope the narrator of the show is spewing BS to make it sound more impressive and that's not really the shops idea of a ground up restoration.

Was there just 2 episodes so far? Did you notice every test drive ended up in a failure? Not paying attention to the details? Even I was able to put the whole drive line into my C5 and take it for a 4000km "road test" without incident.

The Lincoln. Stripping and re-assembling the car doesn't save that much money. The stripping and re-install work is something that shop should be capable of knocking out in a few weeks = < $10k in work. Either they dropped a bunch more work they didn't mention or they were throwing out BS numbers at the start.

Mr Beep. They seemed to be saying that it was either spend $65k to rebuild the current car or $25k to use a donor. I'm guessing they really meant the $65k was just to repair the rust in the floor?

Trying to make 40% on flipping cars? Good luck because that what almost everyone else at the high end auctions is trying to do.

Get notified of new replies

To Canadian Restoration TV Show

Old 09-01-2013, 11:00 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Taylor Sr.
Hello Corvette Forum,
Paul Sr.
Restoration Garage

This thread is over a year old.

Nobody was "chatting" about your show recently, until you brought this thread back to life.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:27 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by hzz
This thread is over a year old.

Nobody was "chatting" about your show recently, until you brought this thread back to life.
Wow we were "had" ?! LOL
Old 09-01-2013, 11:35 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I saw the date wrong. Still, the first episode after the pilot was just aired last week.

Quick Reply: Canadian Restoration TV Show