Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Anyone Familiar with the Northstar Motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Anyone Familiar with the Northstar Motor

I'm thinking of 05 purchase on a GXP with the LD8 motor, I know they had head bolt issues on the Caddies etc, and once those were solved it was only the head gasket issues.

Since I do my own repairs I don't want to be tearing into a V8 when it's a size 10 motor in a size 5 engine compartment. Heck I don't want to do engine work at all.

Anyone know whether the Northstar LD8 motor still had issues in 05? The other negative is they got poor fuel economy if I remember correctly?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:10 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

You remember it ALL correctly! I had 4 Caddy STS's - seems it took me that many to learn my lesson! Head gaskets, head bolts, poor economy, ah yes.....I remember it well!
Plenty of people I know had no issues however, but its all KM based.....I put 40 - 50,000 km per year for business, so 3 years in is when I'd see all these problems.....
Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 AM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
I'm thinking of 05 purchase on a GXP with the LD8 motor, I know they had head bolt issues on the Caddies etc, and once those were solved it was only the head gasket issues.

Since I do my own repairs I don't want to be tearing into a V8 when it's a size 10 motor in a size 5 engine compartment. Heck I don't want to do engine work at all.

Anyone know whether the Northstar LD8 motor still had issues in 05? The other negative is they got poor fuel economy if I remember correctly?
Still lots of the same issue , run away .
Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Thanks for the reply Dan and Manny, I'm a Bonneville man at heart when it comes to a daily driver and since 05 was the last year of production I thought I found what was the deal of year and didn't want to pass it up. Sounds as though I should walk away from the Northstar even though the seller claims it's been dealer maintained. I'd have to see the receipts to believe it but then it seem I'm not willing to deal with the Northstar. Too bad these didn't come with the 3.8, L67's.

I still really like the dash.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:08 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Maymybonnevilleliveforever I still remember that one.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

True Dat, I've had Bonneville's for 22 years, but it looks as though it may come to an end next year as it seems they don't make them like they used to.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:18 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
True Dat, I've had Bonneville's for 22 years, but it looks as though it may come to an end next year as it seems they don't make them like they used to.
Just find one with low miles.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Any other one is twice the price even with the same mileage, therefore one with less mileage really isn't a deal in my eyes but thanks for the suggestion.

All the daily drivers are still running, I just thought I would take advantage of a great deal, but it seems this is one that I should walk away from.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Familiar with the Northstar Motor

Quick Reply: Anyone Familiar with the Northstar Motor