Canadian Events Canada, eh?

So what does a paint job go for these days?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Zedder
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

Default So what does a paint job go for these days?

I'm negotiating on a '67 Camaro that I have been trying to buy for almost 10 years and need to determine what it will take to bring it up to my standards. It only has 20,000 miles on it and is absolutely rust free, but it was painted the wrong shade of red and I want to make it right. So what should I ballpark for a strip and paint? I haven't painted a car in 20 years, so I have no idea what it costs these days. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:06 PM
0Pete@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zedder
I'm negotiating on a '67 Camaro that I have been trying to buy for almost 10 years and need to determine what it will take to bring it up to my standards. It only has 20,000 miles on it and is absolutely rust free, but it was painted the wrong shade of red and I want to make it right. So what should I ballpark for a strip and paint? I haven't painted a car in 20 years, so I have no idea what it costs these days. Thanks in advance!
Give us a call and we would be glad to go over your different options.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Zedder
Burning Brakes

Thanks...just called but you aren't there
Old 02-19-2014, 04:55 PM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its difficult to quote a full out paint job on a a car without seeing it in person . There can be many underlying issues that one can encounter .

I would be more than happy to come out and see the car and give a much better idea of costs . With that said a complete strip and paint with no body work is in the $12k -$15k range again depending on paint color and things like stripes ect .
Old 02-19-2014, 05:27 PM
Zedder
Burning Brakes

Ok, thanks for the input!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:06 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Have you considered a wrap instead? I've seen some amazing wraps that look like paint but go for only about $2000 to $3000.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:45 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Have you considered a wrap instead? I've seen some amazing wraps that look like paint but go for only about $2000 to $3000.
I was think the same. Somewhere on this forum I saw where a guy wrapped a Chevy Nomad or something similar. Looked like the original paint. Did himself at home if I recall. Turquoise over cream or white.

I'll see if I can find the link.

Dodosmike
Old 02-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Zedder
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys...just looking at options right now to help me negotiate.

Thanks for the call Peter...it was very helpful!
Old 02-19-2014, 08:33 PM
0Pete@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Zedder
Thanks guys...just looking at options right now to help me negotiate. Thanks for the call Peter...it was very helpful!
It was my pleasure and nice talking to you. Hope I was helpful
Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 PM
79 Bullet
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Champions painted my 67 9 years ago. Still holding up!!
Old 02-20-2014, 10:58 PM
Zedder
Burning Brakes

Thanks Bullet. Peter was very helpful on the phone and his pricing was very reasonable compared to some other quotes posted/received. If I get the car, there is some mechanical work to do also, so I would have them complete that too before paint. I'm making an offer tonight...fingers crossed

Originally Posted by 79 Bullet
Old 02-21-2014, 12:19 AM
79 Bullet
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

PM me if you need any parts. I have a lot of upgrade and original parts that just came off my 67 in mint shape. Including brakes, wheels and suspension. Good luck with purchase.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:14 AM
Jutskin
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 79 Bullet
My friend who bought my last Chevelle is still getting ribbons @ shows.
Champion painted it 10 years ago.

later changed hood,

had to

Last edited by Jutskin; 02-21-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:32 AM
stclarke
Racer

Guess I'll be driving down to the Champion Open House for a quote as I need new paint also !!

Old 02-21-2014, 11:29 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

If it was mine I would try and cut down on the cost by doing all the grunt work myself instead of paying shop rate. Just removing, cleaning and re-installing chrome and other parts is labour intensive. I would take my car to a dedicated old school body shop with everything removed and put it back together myself after paint. If the car is even halfways straight, you should be able to get by for under 4 grand for a pristine job. Most of it is masking properly and prep work.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:52 PM
stclarke
Racer

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
If it was mine I would try and cut down on the cost by doing all the grunt work myself instead of paying shop rate. Just removing, cleaning and re-installing chrome and other parts is labour intensive. I would take my car to a dedicated old school body shop with everything removed and put it back together myself after paint. If the car is even halfways straight, you should be able to get by for under 4 grand for a pristine job. Most of it is masking properly and prep work.
Not sure I consider myself that skilled I've read about razor blades, captain lee (?) stripper etc... and not too sure I'm on board with that approach.. not to mention lack of time and space

-Stephen
Old 02-21-2014, 05:56 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stclarke
Not sure I consider myself that skilled I've read about razor blades, captain lee (?) stripper etc... and not too sure I'm on board with that approach.. not to mention lack of time and space

-Stephen
Forget about razor blades and don't even go near the stripper unless it's the one at the local establishment...
Figure a grand for materials like paint and shop supplies. The rest is labour so cut down on that wherever you can. It cost me $2200 to have my wifes 78 painted but I probably spent about 100 hours on it myself before and after. It was boring mind numbing work but has no overspray and came out better than it came from the factory with.

Old school American Racing mags and some ghost flames out of the fender exits.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 02-21-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To So what does a paint job go for these days?

Old 02-21-2014, 06:31 PM
stephenpen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always find myself looking at the paint work every time I'm at champion. I was surprised how much painting they do there.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 02-21-2014, 09:09 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stephenpen
I always find myself looking at the paint work every time I'm at champion. I was surprised how much painting they do there.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
I just like to reduce the cost. For most normal thinking people, a fifteen thousand dollar paint job on a C3, or any other Corvette for that matter is stupid and then some. A five thousand dollar paint is more than some of them were worth new.
Fifteen to paint one? Wow....
Kind of wondering who here hasn't seen the ball since the kickoff?

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 02-21-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:05 AM
Jutskin
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=CanadaGrant;1586230674]Forget about razor blades and don't even go near the stripper unless it's the one at the local establishment...
Figure a grand for materials like paint and shop supplies. The rest is labour so cut down on that wherever you can. It cost me $2200 to have my wifes 78 painted but I probably spent about 100 hours on it myself before and after. It was boring mind numbing work but has no overspray and came out better than it came from the factory with.

Luv the wheels.........looks like plenty of custom work has been done on your vette ........

People luv their cars and spend too much sometimes on paint on a car that may not return the investment...........but if you are in bed with your ride it is not about the money sometimes......may plan on not selling anytime soon....been there........life is toooo short.

Cheeseman

Quick Reply: So what does a paint job go for these days?