Canadian Events Canada, eh?

importation

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 09:58 PM
prycless
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default importation

Does anyone know if a new corvette can be imported into Canada from USA?
Thx
Prycless
Old 08-21-2014, 07:25 AM
CROOPS34
Instructor

Originally Posted by prycless
Does anyone know if a new corvette can be imported into Canada from USA?
Thx
Prycless
I looked into this briefly but gave up when I found out GM Canada won't honour a warranty for a car purchased in the states. The tax situation is also interesting as well. I think there would be dramatic savings from buying south of the border (especially if you could find a 2014 you wanted right now) and I've seen examples of very well equipped cars like the one I suspect will cost me around 80k for 68k. Kind of rediculous but no different from how Canadian consumers usually get hosed in comparison to what Americans pay on almost all products... That's why so many Canadians cross the border for shopping trips.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:40 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

I find that interesting about the warranty. i was going to bring in a CTS V 2 yrs ago, and i checked with GM a couple different times and a few different people, and recieved the same answer, yes it would be still under warranty. They were were a fair bit cheaper down there, but, decided to buy here in the end, due to, transporting it up, huge gas guzzler tax,(which the vette doesn't have), and a few other thiings, was not going to be in my favor, so just bought a good ole Canadian car here.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:30 PM
family-man
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

from what I recall, you cannot purchase a brand new corvette from a dealer in the usa. also, if purchasing used, the warranty will still be good here in Canada. how sweet would it be to purchased a 2013 z06 brand new for $20k under MSRP which a few CF sponsor dealers are offering.

EDIT...someone correct me if I am wrong please

pulley/belt swap/tune... wallayejack
Old 08-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

they won't sell you a "new" one, but you could pick up a "used" with 200km on it and bring it in I will probably do that next time...
Old 08-22-2014, 12:04 PM
1500cc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

US dealers aren't allowed to sell you a new car, but anything used is okay. You can't get warranty service in Canada until you hit something like 12,000 km, but of course you could drive/trailer your car back to the US to get service before then.

Not sure what mods might be needed to a C7. The C6s I believe had to the have the ability to defeat the DRLs removed.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:13 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1500cc
US dealers aren't allowed to sell you a new car, but anything used is okay. You can't get warranty service in Canada until you hit something like 12,000 km, but of course you could drive/trailer your car back to the US to get service before then.

Not sure what mods might be needed to a C7. The C6s I believe had to the have the ability to defeat the DRLs removed.
Not sure how big a deal it is on money, really, by the time you factor in $ exchange, tax there and here if applicable(depends on the state you are buying in), brokerage and transport, etc. That said, availability is better, for sure.

No US dealer is allowed to knowingly sell a new car to a non resident for export, just as we are not allowed to sell to US buyers. They run the risk of getting their hands slapped HARD by GM for this, as it contravenes their franchise agreement. Used is not problem, as long as it has been in service for 6 months, and is NOT a dealer demo.

You have no warranty up here for 6 months or 12,000 kms, whichever comes LAST, but you can warranty the car in the US if needed. You also lose things like paid oil changes or maintenance programs that would be applicable on a car sold up here, even if the US car has the same program. ie, a Cadillac with free maintenance does not qualify up here if it is a US car, and a US Corvette would not be eligible for its N/C oil changes.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:00 PM
FivePointFarms
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Huge savings on slightly used in the states. I have no idea why anybody would buy local...we are taking serious savings...in 2005 I saved 30K on my SRT 10. Just make sure you check RIV.com.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:15 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FivePointFarms
Huge savings on slightly used in the states. I have no idea why anybody would buy local...we are taking serious savings...in 2005 I saved 30K on my SRT 10. Just make sure you check RIV.com.
Uh, no offense intended, but it is no longer 2005....
Old 08-22-2014, 06:22 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

if the savings are significant, I won't care about warranty till 12,000 km

Old 08-22-2014, 07:07 PM
FivePointFarms
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TOVetteFan
Uh, no offense intended, but it is no longer 2005....

And all you can come up with is no free oil changes and no free scheduled service....free service on a new car is worth next to nothing.

The deals are better now than in 2005 as the dollar is at a better rate.

I assume you sell new.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:07 AM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

And all you can come up with is no free oil changes and no free scheduled service....free service on a new car is worth next to nothing.

I assume you sell new.
I will make you a deal... You go find a C7 under 1000 miles, without issues or history, that is 10K cheaper after exchange, duty and tax than I can sell a new one for up here, and my dealer will buy it and pay you a referral...

The deals are not better now than '05, not even close...

Old 08-23-2014, 11:23 AM
FivePointFarms
Melting Slicks

I will make you a deal... You go find a C7 under 1000 miles, without issues or history, that is 10K cheaper after exchange, duty and tax than I can sell a new one for up here, and my dealer will buy it and pay you a referral...

The deals are not better now than '05, not even close...

You post bs...duty, taxes, free oil changes, free maintenance on a new car save it for somebody that cares.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Jon04CTSV
Burning Brakes

I assume you sell new.
Honestly interested in how you came to that conclusion...

'15 base Z51 Coupe in US: $58,000 USD incl. $900 destination charge
Using RBC's exchange rate: http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/cgi-bin/...y-converter.pl
That is $64,873 CAD

'15 base Z51 Coupe in Canada: $64,495 incl. $1800 destination charge.

It's $378 cheaper to buy up here.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:09 PM
1500cc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Hopefully a lot of used C7s will start flooding into Canada soon. Even if won't ease pricing any, it would sure help availability.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:35 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

You post bs...duty, taxes, free oil changes, free maintenance on a new car save it for somebody that cares.
Sorry, thought we were talking the real world here in Canada, where you have to pay taxes, and duty/brokerage to import a car from the US. Warranty matters to most people, not you, fair enough, but I think ignoring the warranty issue is more BS than mentioning it. The oil changes aren't a big thing, no doubt, but 4x 125 is still $500, which matters to some people.

And, unless you have USD sitting in an account doing nothing, then exchange matters too....

I might be posting BS in your eyes, but at least my BS is based in reality, and today. Your BS is 10 years old.... ;-)

Old 08-23-2014, 02:36 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

Hopefully a lot of used C7s will start flooding into Canada soon. Even if won't ease pricing any, it would sure help availability.

$$$ in the US are not an advantage, but there is availability! To this point, the cost on used C7s in the US is higher than the cost on new ones up here... That said, if someone has to have one now, it can be done....

Get notified of new replies

To importation

Old 08-23-2014, 02:39 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

As I said, find me a straight, no accidents, <1000 miles 2014 car that I, as a dealer, can save 10K, not 30K, not even 20K, just 10K, over a new 2015, and I will buy it, and pay you a referral fee. I dare you....
Old 08-23-2014, 02:58 PM
FivePointFarms
Melting Slicks

As I said, find me a straight, no accidents, <1000 miles 2014 car that I, as a dealer, can save 10K, not 30K, not even 20K, just 10K, over a new 2015, and I will buy it, and pay you a referral fee. I dare you....
Ok...not a brand new ( 1000 km) c7.

You did however suggest duty is payable...that is not true.
You did suggest extra taxes are due...that is not true.
Transport and brokerage within 1200 miles under $ 2000.00

So bottom line wait until spring and save big money on a slightly used Chevy.

Save it for the hot dog gang.

Last edited by FivePointFarms; 08-23-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:14 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

Ok...not a brand new ( 1000 km) c7.

You did however suggest duty is payable...that is not true.
You did suggest extra taxes are due...that is not true.
Transport and brokerage within 1200 miles under $ 2000.00

So bottom line wait until spring and save big money on a slightly used Chevy.

Save it for the hot dog gang.
I said duty/brokerage, lumped them together, never mentioned transport... As to extra taxes, buy a car in a state with a state tax and try to avoid it... You will pay whatever tax is applicable where you buy the car, and then pay HST or whatever is applicable in your province of registration... That is true...

Oh, that is rich... Wait until spring and save money on a sports car...

If you can't save money now, at the end of the season, you won't in the spring...

Quick Reply: importation