GoPro vs Garmin Virb

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default GoPro vs Garmin Virb

Noticed that Cdn Tire has up to $170 off on Garmin VIRB & VIRB Elite.Has anyone tried the VIRB vs the GoPro? Just looking for comments/opinions.Read a few articles on the VIRB on the 'net & didn't see many negative comments.Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 03:37 PM
infernobuster
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Never even heard of the VIRB until you mentioned it today .. i actually googled it.

Go with something is more readily available in support or parts such as the GOPro.

I ve got the GP3 silver edition and the HD Drift camera. Both are good choices, and offer good resolution when recording.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:34 AM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

I just bought the Virb at Can Tire, half price. I'll play around with it to decide whether it worth keeping or not.

I have used the GoPro, pretty steep learning curve and wasn't overly impressed with its ease of use or battery life.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

I've been using the Hero3 for over a year now on the cruises we do. I think by now, everyone has seen the stills and videos I've taken on our cruises. Not sure what Mike means about steep learning curve. There's nothing to it on the Hero3. I found it very easy to use. If you can use a phone or a point and shoot, you can use a GoPro. I usually have 1 setup in car facing forward, and 1 on my trunk facing back. I have them set to to record 1080@30fps video. So now, all I have to do is power on, and push record. There is a setting that when you turn it on, it starts recording automatically, which I don't use.

I've got a 64GB micro SD card in it. It's good for about 8.5 hours of 1080p/30fps videos. You can either plug the camera in via USB to download the images, or remove the microSD card and plug it into your computer via card reader and do same. (It's faster the latter way.)

The Hero3 does have Wifi and when turned on, can be accessed via your iphone or android device with the free GoPro app located in the app stores. The app has access to all the settings of the GoPro as well can be used as a viewer when recording.

My few complaints.

1. Battery life sucks on these things. At full setting, I get maybe an hour or so. So in car, it's always plugged in. (Biggest complaint from all GoPro users though, if you go thru the forums)

2. No night time mode or accessory. Would be nice if they had an accessory so it can record in the night. Either an LED add on like on most dash board cams, or night vision setting.

3. Once the microSD card fills up, the GoPro stops recording. Since the GoPro records video in segments, it would be nice if there was a setting so that it can overwrite the oldest segments automatically so it doesn't stop recording. Video segments can be as long as 17 min or as short as 5 min.

4. A muzzle for the microphone when recording on a moving vehicle, such as a bicycle or a car. Way too much wind noise. Even with that clear case on which is supposed to seal it. There are 3rd party apps that can help with audio, but they require a skilled hand in using as you only want to filter out wind noise and not some of the other audio.

5. The Wifi on the GoPro makes it accessible to smart devices with wifi capabilities. The only problem with this is that once you connect to the GoPro via Wifi, you no longer have data service on your smart device. Not even thru your cellular service.

Just waiting on the GrPro Hero4 camera. Leaked information shows it will be able to record video at 4K@30fps, or 1080p@120fps or 720p@240fps (good for playing in slow motion), and have a longer battery life. Last I heard, HERO4 is now supposed to be out March 2015. Not sure if it will though. Release date has been pushed back a few times.

I've seen the VIRB in action and it looks like a decent camera. I'm told battery life sucks though. Not much better than the GoPro. One thing I like about it, is that GPS info is also recorded and can be overlayed on the videos.

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 09-07-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:05 PM
GrandPrixRollsOut
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Stan. Luckily there are cheap batteries and mobile chargers so you can swap them out very easily. I have 3 batteries on a long day and they charge up really fast.

If you google the accessory pro - they have great solutions for go pros.

Whatever you get - go for it! It's nice to have more videos on cruises. Maybe we can get a club cruise video going next year with multiple points of view in one video!
Old 09-07-2014, 04:26 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
I've been using the Hero3 for over a year now on the cruises we do. I think by now, everyone has seen the stills and videos I've taken on our cruises. Not sure what Mike means about steep learning curve. There's nothing to it on the Hero3. I found it very easy to use. If you can use a phone or a point and shoot, you can use a GoPro. I usually have 1 setup in car facing forward, and 1 on my trunk facing back. I have them set to to record 1080@30fps video. So now, all I have to do is power on, and push record. There is a setting that when you turn it on, it starts recording automatically, which I don't use.

I've got a 64GB micro SD card in it. It's good for about 8.5 hours of 1080p/30fps videos. You can either plug the camera in via USB to download the images, or remove the microSD card and plug it into your computer via card reader and do same. (It's faster the latter way.)

The Hero3 does have Wifi and when turned on, can be accessed via your iphone or android device with the free GoPro app located in the app stores. The app has access to all the settings of the GoPro as well can be used as a viewer when recording.

My few complaints.

1. Battery life sucks on these things. At full setting, I get maybe an hour or so. So in car, it's always plugged in. (Biggest complaint from all GoPro users though, if you go thru the forums)

2. No night time mode or accessory. Would be nice if they had an accessory so it can record in the night. Either an LED add on like on most dash board cams, or night vision setting.

3. Once the microSD card fills up, the GoPro stops recording. Since the GoPro records video in segments, it would be nice if there was a setting so that it can overwrite the oldest segments automatically so it doesn't stop recording. Video segments can be as long as 17 min or as short as 5 min.

4. A muzzle for the microphone when recording on a moving vehicle, such as a bicycle or a car. Way too much wind noise. Even with that clear case on which is supposed to seal it. There are 3rd party apps that can help with audio, but they require a skilled hand in using as you only want to filter out wind noise and not some of the other audio.

5. The Wifi on the GoPro makes it accessible to smart devices with wifi capabilities. The only problem with this is that once you connect to the GoPro via Wifi, you no longer have data service on your smart device. Not even thru your cellular service.

Just waiting on the GrPro Hero4 camera. Leaked information shows it will be able to record video at 4K@30fps, or 1080p@120fps or 720p@240fps (good for playing in slow motion), and have a longer battery life. Last I heard, HERO4 is now supposed to be out March 2015. Not sure if it will though. Release date has been pushed back a few times.

I've seen the VIRB in action and it looks like a decent camera. I'm told battery life sucks though. Not much better than the GoPro. One thing I like about it, is that GPS info is also recorded and can be overlayed on the videos.
Your a tech guy, so what's easy to you doesn't hold true for non tech people. I was able to use it, just not that user friendly. Plus, I know lots of guys who could 'use it', but getting it from the camera to a computer was even more complicated.

The virb has a battery 3 times the size of the go pro, so I doubt the battery life is as bad, I've heard its way better.

GPS info is only recorded wh the virb plus edition

I'll report back on it in a few weeks. If this thing is any good, I'll keep it for the upcoming sled season. If not, back to can tire it goes...
Old 09-07-2014, 09:32 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

have the Go Pro 2, wi fi pack pak and remote, works good, just have a time getting it into computer,
am looking for a decent dash cam... any leads ?
Old 09-08-2014, 08:09 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Just a test clip, not that different than GoPro...not overly impressed either

Old 09-15-2014, 01:20 PM
C6SUMMER
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys... try the Mobius.. It's a lot less money than the GoPro. Been using the GoPro for years and it's been good but there have been issues. Batteries is one of them they get really hot.

Was recently disappointed in Bowling Green with the GoPro and started looking into alternates.

LINK

I plan on putting one of them in the E350 as a Dashcam on permanent duty and if it works out may do the same in the Vette.

Oh and forgot to mention... It's 79.00
Old 09-15-2014, 01:30 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by C6SUMMER
Guys... try the Mobius.. It's a lot less money than the GoPro. Been using the GoPro for years and it's been good but there have been issues. Batteries is one of them they get really hot.

Was recently disappointed in Bowling Green with the GoPro and started looking into alternates.

LINK

I plan on putting one of them in the E350 as a Dashcam on permanent duty and if it works out may do the same in the Vette.

i have been looking at that one for awhile to use as a dash cam.. any dealers around the GTA ? and G1W is supossed to be good as dash cam

Last edited by walleyejack; 09-15-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:24 PM
C6SUMMER
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by walleyejack
i have been looking at that one for awhile to use as a dash cam.. any dealers around the GTA ? and G1W is supossed to be good as dash cam
No idea on dealers... I don't even bother looking anymore. If I find what I want I shop online and don't waste time and gas driving around to pay in most cases a higher price.

This is the other dash cam that I was looking at:
Link Link

Last edited by C6SUMMER; 09-15-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:36 PM
C6SUMMER
Burning Brakes

Don't get what is so difficult in getting the video from a GoPro into the computer??? You pull the SD Card from the GoPro and put it into the card reader of the computer. Doesn't get any easier.... does it???
Old 09-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Semi-decent writeup on the mobius here. It's definitely good value for the cost.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:41 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Don't get what is so difficult in getting the video from a GoPro into the computer??? You pull the SD Card from the GoPro and put it into the card reader of the computer. Doesn't get any easier.... does it???
I'm assuming your a DOS guy Yes, that part is easy, thanks for the pointing it out to everyone
Old 09-22-2014, 01:29 PM
04silverZ06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

LINK

I'm in the market for a dash cam too.

Which kit did you get?

Can this be easily mounted to the dash without damaging the dash?
Old 10-21-2014, 04:08 PM
DIPPOLD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Have a look at the new Polaroid Cube.

http://www.polaroid.com/cube
Old 10-21-2014, 09:38 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Anyone try these?? www.waspcam.com

My brothers friend invented it and brought it to market........I think he's getting a freebie to play with

Get notified of new replies

To GoPro vs Garmin Virb

Quick Reply: GoPro vs Garmin Virb