Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Convertible Top problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 01:35 PM
NoShade
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Convertible Top problems

Well on Friday night my convertible top "exploded".

I'm exaggerating to a large degree but the bundle of tensoners for the sunshade tore away from the connecting ring on the frame. Does anybody have suggestions where I can take the car to have the top repaired in Etobicoke or Mississauga? It sounds like the dealership where I bought the car is willing to pay the bill but I have to find a shop here to do the work.

Also the top appears to be "out of sequence" certain things are happening before the should. Does anyone know the process for resetting the opening and closing cycle?

Thanks guys
Old 09-29-2014, 02:52 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

What year?

Some era specific semi-pro mechanics here might be able to help, but will need more info.

Pics would help as well.

dodosmike
Old 09-29-2014, 03:19 PM
NoShade
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dodosmike
What year?

Some era specific semi-pro mechanics here might be able to help, but will need more info.

Pics would help as well.

dodosmike
Yeah sorry I forgot to mention the year. It's an '09. Attached a pic. Hope it works...
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm no help, sorry

Did ya try here? :https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rformance-101/

good luck.

dodosmike
Old 09-30-2014, 09:28 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow73
Well on Friday night my convertible top "exploded".

I'm exaggerating to a large degree but the bundle of tensoners for the sunshade tore away from the connecting ring on the frame. Does anybody have suggestions where I can take the car to have the top repaired in Etobicoke or Mississauga? It sounds like the dealership where I bought the car is willing to pay the bill but I have to find a shop here to do the work.

Also the top appears to be "out of sequence" certain things are happening before the should. Does anyone know the process for resetting the opening and closing cycle?

Thanks guys

why not let the Stealship look after it, if they are paying, then if you have a problem after, it is back on them.
Marlee Upholstery on Caladonia & Orfus rd is good. he did my c5 seats, and has done work for my friend, very reasonable. has been there for many years, small shop. is always busy.

Last edited by walleyejack; 09-30-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:42 PM
NoShade
Instructor

Thanks everyone. I've taken the car to Total Auto Glass in Etobicoke. Waiting on the estimate. From what they are telling me it looks like those strings are a part of the headliner and it will have to be replaced.

Realizing this is just one of the those "bummer" type of things but... Having a broken Corvette sucks... especially after only 3 weeks of ownership.

The radio goes in tomorrow... Maybe that will help cheer me up!
Old 10-01-2014, 12:46 PM
NoShade
Instructor

Originally Posted by walleyejack
why not let the Stealship look after it, if they are paying, then if you have a problem after, it is back on them.
Marlee Upholstery on Caladonia & Orfus rd is good. he did my c5 seats, and has done work for my friend, very reasonable. has been there for many years, small shop. is always busy.
Thanks Al!

I bought the car from a dealership in Ottawa and I don't want to make the trip out there if I don't have to. Besides it sounds like they farm out convertible top issues to a trim shop anyway.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:22 AM
NoShade
Instructor

Well it took about 3 weeks but my car is finally back together again!

It sounds like somewhere in the cars history (undocumented of course!) a quicky repair was done to the top. The repair shop reassembled the top improperly and could not re-route those tensioning strings properly. So they took a shortcut and bundled them all together on those rings right under the hinges. This was now a guaranteed point of failure which I inherited when I bought the car.

Anyhow... The headliner has been replaced and the mechanical part of the top has been put back together properly. Fingers crossed this will be the last of my top issues for a while. Although I suppose it will since the top will likely not be down again until May 2015.

Thanks to the folks at Total Auto Glass in Etobicoke for doing the work and putting up with my "new baby" like whining for the past few weeks.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Top problems

Quick Reply: Convertible Top problems