Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Do i really want to sell it or not

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 05:46 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Do i really want to sell it or not

I m on the fence as to what i should do .I ve got a mint 2011 crystal red Zr1,canadian car, 3Zr package ,only 4700 kilometers,i m torn wether to sell it or not in order to get a c7 z06.What makes me hesitate is first that there will be a lot of c7 z06 s on the road once they come out and second that in a couple of years the new Zr1 will pop up.They made less than 5000 Zr1s in the five year run they were produced and very few are left untouched and not abused like mine .What do you guys think?
Old 10-08-2014, 06:13 PM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
I m on the fence as to what i should do .I ve got a mint 2011 crystal red Zr1,canadian car, 3Zr package ,only 4700 kilometers,i m torn wether to sell it or not in order to get a c7 z06.What makes me hesitate is first that there will be a lot of c7 z06 s on the road once they come out and second that in a couple of years the new Zr1 will pop up.They made less than 5000 Zr1s in the five year run they were produced and very few are left untouched and not abused like mine .What do you guys think?
Keep the car , you will never find another one like Phil
Old 10-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

You've already decided to spend a lot of money on a depreciating asset so...if you want the latest and greatest, sell the C6 ZR1 and buy the C7 Z06, then sell the C7 Z06 and buy the C7/8 ZR1, etc... it's only more money and you should get better supercar performance.

You reference low volume production of the ZR1. The C6 ZR1 is a low volume North American production car and it does attract by-stander attention. I suspect the C7 Z06 will be similarly exclusive in the Canadian market and attract lots of attention.
If you want a "collector car" that you hope won't depreciate, look elsewhere.

Regardless of your decision, you've already spent a lot of money to own your ZR1. Whether you keep the C6 ZR1 or sell it, you will continue to spend significant amounts of money on your car (high purchase prices; depreciation).

Quantify what you're looking for from your car (s) and buy the car that checks the most boxes.

And ENJOY the journey...cause you're be paying for it!
Old 10-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

sell it
Old 10-08-2014, 09:46 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

I know Manny thats what i say to myself but the c7 z06 is so hot.Vernon i pay far less than the average guy i am a car dealer so i wouldnt be losing money if i decided to sell it.Manny was a big part of me getting this Zr1.It wasnt easy dealing with the old man who had it but well worth it as the car had only 2200 kilometers when i picked it up in may.To this day its never been floored in the first two gears .Tires are like new.Its funny i use to race my z06 but this car is too new id feel so guilty to abuse it.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:12 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

I know Manny thats what i say to myself but the c7 z06 is so hot.Vernon i pay far less than the average guy i am a car dealer so i wouldnt be losing money if i decided to sell it.Manny was a big part of me getting this Zr1.It wasnt easy dealing with the old man who had it but well worth it as the car had only 2200 kilometers when i picked it up in may.To this day its never been floored in the first two gears .Tires are like new.Its funny i use to race my z06 but this car is too new id feel so guilty to abuse it.
...as a car dealer, you'll know better than most when to sell the car to get the C7 Z06.
Again, you'll know best, there's probably little difference between selling now or selling in the spring so consider waiting until the production ZO6 test reports come out and decide if you still want the "latest and greatest". Maybe as a dealer, you'll be able to source a C7 Z06 faster than us "regular Joe's/Sally's".

It's expected that others will sell their ZR1's to get the C7 Z06, and some of those ZR1's will be in similar condition to your pristine car. So, if you sell and have seller's remorse, you'll find another one.

As a dealer, I'm thinking you're in a good spot!

...and if the time comes and you have seller's remorse, I've got a pristine '13 ZR1 I could sell you at a GOOD PRICE...

Last edited by Vernon; 10-09-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:51 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

i would be keeping it.

or raffle it off to the forum members $100. a pop.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:04 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I say DRIVE it, whichever one you choose. Both are great cars.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:00 AM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you think they are going to make 5000 Z06s over the run of this C7 model, you're kidding yourself....it is priced so well that they will sell a **** load of these.

The C7 Z06 looks hot but the C6 wide body is no joke either....upgrade to some nice Caravaggio seats and leather and you'll have a damn fine ZR1 on your hands.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Monte04ss
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a very personal choice, considering how low your KM are, one would hazard a guess you haven't driven the beast much.

The financial implications of a new C7Z Vs the amount you will drive it. That should be something to think about before you pull the trigger.

Personally, my plan is to wait 5-6 yrs, drive my current Z as much as possible then pick up a low milage C7 Z for less than 1/2 what it retailed for new, then drive the hell out of it. Rince and repeat as the newer generations keep coming out....

in the short term DRIVE THE Z before the dreaded white stuff starts to fly
Old 10-09-2014, 01:26 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by corrado
I say DRIVE it, whichever one you choose. Both are great cars.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:54 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Default Exactly my point.

Originally Posted by rpanesar
If you think they are going to make 5000 Z06s over the run of this C7 model, you're kidding yourself....it is priced so well that they will sell a **** load of these.

The C7 Z06 looks hot but the C6 wide body is no joke either....upgrade to some nice Caravaggio seats and leather and you'll have a damn fine ZR1 on your hands.
I know they ll make a ton of z06s thats exactly why i m hesitating.I m afraid that in the long run the zr1 will hold value because they will have made less.Then i ll be saying why did i sell it.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:03 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Phil,

We have our differences but I am going to tell you what I see here.

You need to sell that car and buy a another Z06 a few years old. Is it as cool.......nope. Will you get as many compliments...........nope. Will you enjoy it more.............yes.......way more.

Just the fact that you posted this shows that the possible lost value bothers you. When you get to a price range where you are worried about the future value, the depreciation, and the cost of ownership, it takes the fun and enjoyment out. You used to race your Z06, drive it all the time and enjoy it. This ZR1 is beautiful, but "never been floored in 1st or 2nd" ??? Come on. What is more fun. Saying you have a mint ZR1 or beating the crap out of something that you don't worry about all the time.

We lost touch for some years, but I can tell you, I owned them all. All the expensive toys. The only enjoyment was when people gathered and complimented. Now I drive crap cans and don't worry a bit while having fun.

Those are my thoughts. You have to decide what is important to you, but I can see the difference from last year where you were excited as you told stories of the guys you beat on the highway. Not seeing that since you got this car !!
Old 10-10-2014, 06:37 PM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I had the problem!
Old 10-10-2014, 07:02 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Sell it, if as you say Chev made just less than 5000 they are not a rare car. Vernon made some great points.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:24 PM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernon
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"]
...and if the time comes and you have seller's remorse, I've got a pristine '13 ZR1 I could sell you at a GOOD PRICE...
Vernon have a new toy in mind??

I think the ZR1 is a car definitely to be driven and enjoyed!

I do believe the days where cars of the vintage days that were low production and only the rare survived are gone. Meaning the cars we see today won't gain that value of age but rather become "wow can't beleve the previous owner didn't drive this!" .. and then watch what I do with it.

My ZR1 had only 1,900km on it and that guy took a HUGE loss when he traded it in (had to for the price I got it for). Where is the joy in paying 140g's and only driving 1,900km to have it become a 100g car?

The new Z06 looks Great ! But the line up to get it is going to be long, and here in we mean VERY little to the US builder so getting your hands on one will be difficult especially only getting into the line up now. It's like when the iphone releases here and those people all sleeping over night to get it, and you around 10 am of the day it launches think 'hey i'll go to apple get the new phone' ... LONG sold out before you finished brushing your teeth Unless you have some great connection you'll be getting a used one and likely at an inflated price.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Every car I have ever bought was just the one before my next!
Sell the damm thing and move on.

Get notified of new replies

To Do i really want to sell it or not

Old 10-12-2014, 08:30 AM
GrandPrixRollsOut
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi op,

It sounds like you have to figure out what you want in owning which car. In reading your points you speak to multiple factors and you need to prioritize what matters most to least or else you will get analysis paralysis.

Do you care most about rarity?

Do you care most about resale value? Why? Do you plan on selling it?

Do you care about performance? It sounds like you're not comfortable to drive your current car at wide open throttle or at the performance level it's capable of (not saying it in a mean way)

Will you be racing the car? The c7 z is a race car. Do you see yourself needing to race it? Will you pay for the maintenance?

What body style do you like more?

Can you own both? It sounds like you don't have cash flow problems. Why not own both?

Just trying to help. Comes down to what you want. I have a friend hat gets bored fast and goes through vehicles and boats like underwear. Do what makes you happy - not what others will think.

Wishing you the best
G
Old 10-12-2014, 09:10 AM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Get Well
Money doesn't buy you good taste or spell check? Damm...really? DAMN. Freaking Pathetic.
I blame the keyboard & my fat fingers - missed the "n" & stayed on the "m". But my advice was dead on!
Old 10-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Jutskin
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can afford it......out with the old (even though the ZR1 is not old) and in with the new......life is tooooo short.
Man...do I want a new Z06....

Quick Reply: Do i really want to sell it or not