Canadian Events Canada, eh?

IMporting from US- NEW RULES?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:50 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

My last purchase was several months ago. I have never requested any type of clearance and have never notified any US agency. The cars and motorcycles were used and I picked them up via advertisement and NOT from a dealer. If you read RIV paperwork, it states that the US requires, not RIV, Canada or MTO. I won't advise others to follow anything I have done, but to read the RIV website carefully.

If we are speaking of laws coming into effect last month, then my crossing does NOT apply. I have NEVER seen US customs ever chase down truck and trailer and cross several times a week. If Northern Corvette states that 'HE' has been required to validate any import with a stamp, that would be news to me and so be it. Can he clarify that and, wait a minute...since you actually have copies of this, POST that stamp. I am dying to see it. I would highly doubt he is entirely forthright, especially since he just stated it came into effect within the last month.

The problem with the system is threads like this are littered with brokers who make their living off you not trusting that you can cross with your vehicle. They make money from your hesitation and next thing you know everybody is paying brokers. Further, the US cannot prevent a private citizen from exporting to Canada ever, short of them NOT allowing your entry there. Even then, you can STILL import from here; there is nothing stopping any item from leaving the US, only entering Canada.

My two cents are just that. You're ONLY requirements to get the vehicle into Canada and register are the Import Form, completed safety, Title, Proof that all Warranty issues are up to date, completed RIV paperwork and fees; you are good to go.

If I am wrong (and YES I could be), PLEASE show me the goods and don't speak on the side of 'maybes', 'supposed to's' and 'whatifs'. You will notice, however, that good ole Northern Corvette sure wants you to go to a broker, as it is too difficult to do yourself.

Last edited by AllFlash; 11-11-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Norm07
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by AllFlash
My last purchase was several months ago. I have never requested any type of clearance and have never notified any US agency. The cars and motorcycles were used and I picked them up via advertisement and NOT from a dealer. If you read RIV paperwork, it states that the US requires, not RIV, Canada or MTO. I won't advise others to follow anything I have done, but to read the RIV website carefully.

If we are speaking of laws coming into effect last month, then my crossing does NOT apply. I have NEVER seen US customs ever chase down truck and trailer and cross several times a week. If Northern Corvette states that 'HE' has been required to validate any import with a stamp, that would be news to me and so be it. Can he clarify that and, wait a minute...since you actually have copies of this, POST that stamp. I am dying to see it. I would highly doubt he is entirely forthright, especially since he just stated it came into effect within the last month.

The problem with the system is threads like this are littered with brokers who make their living off you not trusting that you can cross with your vehicle. They make money from your hesitation and next thing you know everybody is paying brokers. Further, the US cannot prevent a private citizen from exporting to Canada ever, short of them NOT allowing your entry there. Even then, you can STILL import from here; there is nothing stopping any item from leaving the US, only entering Canada.

My two cents are just that. You're ONLY requirements to get the vehicle into Canada and register are the Import Form, completed safety, Title, Proof that all Warranty issues are up to date, completed RIV paperwork and fees; you are good to go.

If I am wrong (and YES I could be), PLEASE show me the goods and don't speak on the side of 'maybes', 'supposed to's' and 'whatifs'. You will notice, however, that good ole Northern Corvette sure wants you to go to a broker, as it is too difficult to do yourself.
Northern Corvette is correct, the title is stamped with an impression type stamp. The title is turned in when the vehicle is registerd. The checks are done by the US authorities to ensure the vehicle has no leins or has been reported stolen. It is a simple part of the process and I know my vehicle won't be seized for an outstanding lein or seized as stolen when I go back to the U.S. which I do frequently. I have imported 3 bikes and 4 cars(Lewiston), I am not a dealer, nor have I used a broker.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:01 PM
0Northern Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I usually ignore completely ignorant people, but seeing as you're steering so many people wrong and can possibly get someones car seized, I'll make an exception this time.

First off, I sell parts on the forum and online, and at my business. I'm not a broker, and can care less which broker you use. And its not too difficult to do yourself, its simply IMPOSSIBLE. I realize you've imported 4 or 5 cars the last 20 years and are an expert now, but do as you say and please read the RIV website. I've imported almost 20 the last month, I think I've got a pretty good grasp on things. Please see quote from RIV website, I underscored the part where RIV tells you that you must employ a broker now:

What is the Automated Export System (AES)?

Automated Export System (AES) is a mandatory filing requirements by U.S. Census Bureau of the of Electronic Export Information (EEI).

All exports of used self-propelled vehicles, regardless of value, will be required to file EEI through AES.

The export process begins when the exporter decides to export a vehicle. The exporter or the authorized agent transmits the commodity (EEI) information using AES. This information can come directly from the exporter or the authorized agent. AES also validates the transportation data then generates either a confirmation message in the form of an Internal Transaction Number (ITN) or an error message. Any errors messages generated by AES must be corrected and the corrections transmitted to AES.

How to File Electronic Export Information through the Automated Export System:

Non-U.S resident including Canadians must employ and authorize a U.S. agent (i.e. Freight Forwarder, Broker, etc.) to file export information to the AES on their behalf.

U.S. Citizens, U.S. Residents or U.S. Companies may choose to file for themselves using Census AESDirect website

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Also see below posting, again from RIV website, which like I said came into effect Oct 2, 2014, or a month ago.

Mandatory AES filing for exports of used self-propelled vehicles required as of Oct 2nd, 2014

April 5, 2014

The U.S. Census Bureau, in concurrence with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), has agreed to provide exporters an additional 180 days to come into compliance with the new Foreign Trade Regulations (FTR) requirements. The period of "informed compliance" will take place from the revised FTR effective date of April 5, 2014, through October 2, 2014.

Can also see the following website, which goes into a little detail about the new rules.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...258064351.html

Lastly, since you're "dying" to see this imaginary stamp I invented and doesn't exist in real life. Please see below. Any other questions sir?
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2014, 07:10 PM
0Northern Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Norm07
Northern Corvette is correct, the title is stamped with an impression type stamp. The title is turned in when the vehicle is registerd. The checks are done by the US authorities to ensure the vehicle has no leins or has been reported stolen. It is a simple part of the process and I know my vehicle won't be seized for an outstanding lein or seized as stolen when I go back to the U.S. which I do frequently. I have imported 3 bikes and 4 cars(Lewiston), I am not a dealer, nor have I used a broker.
Thanks Norm, you are correct that the US requires this partly to make sure there are no liens and car is not stolen, which has been in effect for many years now. Many people, including myself, often did not do this on the US side, as the Canadian side didn't usually care, although I was asked a few times.

This new system they've implemented is, I believe, just a way to get more taxes out of the people selling the cars and to make sure all is being declared. They require selling price, as well as various other information now. They call it a "census", but they're obviously wanting this info for a reason. They're also heavily pressuring the Canadian size to make sure all is in order. I've also spoken to a girl at the MTO when registering a vehicle and she also said she couldn't register it unless it had US stamp and all correct paperwork.

Wether someone wants to risk things for what is roughly a $50 fee is up to them. I used to do all my own paperwork, and tried to find ways around using a broker also, as they usually overcharge, but theres no way around it. Canadian citizens are not allowed to use the AES system.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:36 PM
nubrand
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern Corvette
I usually ignore completely ignorant people, but seeing as you're steering so many people wrong and can possibly get someones car seized, I'll make an exception this time.

First off, I sell parts on the forum and online, and at my business. I'm not a broker, and can care less which broker you use. And its not too difficult to do yourself, its simply IMPOSSIBLE. I realize you've imported 4 or 5 cars the last 20 years and are an expert now, but do as you say and please read the RIV website. I've imported almost 20 the last month, I think I've got a pretty good grasp on things. Please see quote from RIV website, I underscored the part where RIV tells you that you must employ a broker now:

What is the Automated Export System (AES)?

Automated Export System (AES) is a mandatory filing requirements by U.S. Census Bureau of the of Electronic Export Information (EEI).

All exports of used self-propelled vehicles, regardless of value, will be required to file EEI through AES.

The export process begins when the exporter decides to export a vehicle. The exporter or the authorized agent transmits the commodity (EEI) information using AES. This information can come directly from the exporter or the authorized agent. AES also validates the transportation data then generates either a confirmation message in the form of an Internal Transaction Number (ITN) or an error message. Any errors messages generated by AES must be corrected and the corrections transmitted to AES.

How to File Electronic Export Information through the Automated Export System:

Non-U.S resident including Canadians must employ and authorize a U.S. agent (i.e. Freight Forwarder, Broker, etc.) to file export information to the AES on their behalf.

U.S. Citizens, U.S. Residents or U.S. Companies may choose to file for themselves using Census AESDirect website

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Also see below posting, again from RIV website, which like I said came into effect Oct 2, 2014, or a month ago.

Mandatory AES filing for exports of used self-propelled vehicles required as of Oct 2nd, 2014

April 5, 2014

The U.S. Census Bureau, in concurrence with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), has agreed to provide exporters an additional 180 days to come into compliance with the new Foreign Trade Regulations (FTR) requirements. The period of "informed compliance" will take place from the revised FTR effective date of April 5, 2014, through October 2, 2014.

Can also see the following website, which goes into a little detail about the new rules.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...258064351.html

Lastly, since you're "dying" to see this imaginary stamp I invented and doesn't exist in real life. Please see below. Any other questions sir?

Yes... this is the correct way to bring a vehicle into Canada.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:46 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you Northern Corvette!

I read through the aes users guide ( a 34 page guide ) to complete the documentation.

I'll gladly pay $50 to a broker to handle this portion of the transaction.

Thanks for your explanation.

Dannyman
Old 11-12-2014, 10:36 AM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

The post above should be a warning to anyone who gets their info from the net without thoroughly researching it.

Anyone can post anything, whether they know what they are talking about or not.

Sometimes it's harmless, sometimes it can get you in a lot of trouble.

Even before the new rules it was mandatory to inform the US border 72 hours in advance of crossing the border, then presenting the car and paperwork to them at time of crossing.

I did this a few times...sometimes they would look at the paperwork and stamp the form, other times they would come outside and inspect the car and double check the VIN.

Just because Allflash got away without stopping on the US side doesn't make it right, and could lead to a lot of unnecessary problems.

Northern Corvette is right on with his advice
Old 11-12-2014, 01:06 PM
WildWilly55
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 92 Posts

All good points--I imported back in 2008---you had to fax a copy of ownership to the border 48 hours ahead--and you had no way of knowing if they recieved it or not??? Thanx Northern for your input on this subject--nice to know!!
Old 11-12-2014, 01:25 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Northern is absolutley correct on this, we imported a truck two wks ago from Wi. had to send the paperwork to border 72 hrs in advance, as always, and, there is no way of telling if they recieved it, because no one will confirm. driver gets to the border, sorry have a nice day, we didn t get the paperwork, we begged and pleaded, told him to come back in 72 hours after we recieve it. some of the officers at the borders can be just nasty.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Piston_Head
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Just a heads up. When I imported my Vette a couple years ago, each border crossing location (in Ontario) had a different set of rules. I ended up crossing at Queenston Lewiston because it had the least stringent rules and they do reply to you when they receive notification of your intention to import.

Again, this was a couple years ago, and rules have changed.

Later,
Brad
Old 11-12-2014, 10:32 PM
frankmp
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

OK, back to my first initiating post, can Mr. Northern or somebody help with my first question. Sorry maybe it was answered somewhere indirectly just need clarification:

"What we're telling our customers is find out if the seller has or will get an EIN number. If the seller won't, don't buy or get your money back," Franzmann said
....."

As I mentioned I wanted to buy a recent GM product that in the PAST would have been the simple and usual get a bill of sale and the title in my name to the chosen border crossing 72 hours prior ( to make sure its not hot or stolen), I show up, US side rubber stamps and most times ( at least in my experience can't be bothered even looking at the car to make sure VIN matches); drive 500 yards to CND side and pay the GST and on with the final RIV step........

Is it correct to say without the seller wanting or willing to get an EIN broker or not you're dead in the water? In my case asked seller to get an EIN and they refused.......

thx
Old 11-12-2014, 11:14 PM
0Northern Corvette
Former Vendor

You don't need title in your name on usa side, just a valid title. From what the paperwork says from the broker, if you are physically buying the car in the USA, you don't need seller to have an ein, instead your canadian passport number is used instead.

So if you know you're buying car, you give the broker all the info (name, seller, passport number, number on title, etc), they process it and give you an Itn number. For lewiston bridge, you send email to BUFFALOVINNYOFFICE@cbp.dhs.gov with the year, make, model, vin, and itn number and tell them you are exporting vehicle. They'll email you back to confirm and tell you wait 72 hrs. After 72 hrs you can bring title, bill of sale and paperwork from broker to border, get stamp and on your way, then business as usual on canadian side.

Not too much more work than usual. Mainly a phone call and fax to broker and broker fee.

Originally Posted by frankmp
OK, back to my first initiating post, can Mr. Northern or somebody help with my first question. Sorry maybe it was answered somewhere indirectly just need clarification:

"What we're telling our customers is find out if the seller has or will get an EIN number. If the seller won't, don't buy or get your money back," Franzmann said
....."

As I mentioned I wanted to buy a recent GM product that in the PAST would have been the simple and usual get a bill of sale and the title in my name to the chosen border crossing 72 hours prior ( to make sure its not hot or stolen), I show up, US side rubber stamps and most times ( at least in my experience can't be bothered even looking at the car to make sure VIN matches); drive 500 yards to CND side and pay the GST and on with the final RIV step........

Is it correct to say without the seller wanting or willing to get an EIN broker or not you're dead in the water? In my case asked seller to get an EIN and they refused.......

thx
Old 11-13-2014, 07:29 AM
frankmp
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern Corvette
You don't need title in your name on usa side, just a valid title. From what the paperwork says from the broker, if you are physically buying the car in the USA, you don't need seller to have an ein, instead your canadian passport number is used instead.

So if you know you're buying car, you give the broker all the info (name, seller, passport number, number on title, etc), they process it and give you an Itn number. For lewiston bridge, you send email to BUFFALOVINNYOFFICE@cbp.dhs.gov with the year, make, model, vin, and itn number and tell them you are exporting vehicle. They'll email you back to confirm and tell you wait 72 hrs. After 72 hrs you can bring title, bill of sale and paperwork from broker to border, get stamp and on your way, then business as usual on canadian side.

Not too much more work than usual. Mainly a phone call and fax to broker and broker fee.
thanks for the clarification...... looks like doing it privately you better have your t's crossed........!
Old 11-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Bob Holinski
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Very Interesting thread. I own property in AZ and THINK I can get a dealer to sell me a new C7 there. I would plan to keep it there and perhaps bring it back to Canada some day in a year or two. It would be great Northern Corvette could post the name of the broker he uses so those of us out west can check to see of they also cover the Alberta and BC border crossing.

Bob
Old 11-24-2014, 12:00 PM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 58 Posts

I had a friend just import a used C7 from the USA a month ago and had no problem getting it over here.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:43 AM
C6SUMMER
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious, the document you posted is a certificate of destruction. I didn't think RIV, allowed any import of salvage vehicles. Has that changed?

Also, my understanding, EIN or Tax I.d. number, every one that files an income tax return in the USA, has one.

Basically it's not worth the Haskell to do it yourself. Pay the 50.00, it's insignificant in the overall price of a vehicle.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:11 AM
0Northern Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by C6SUMMER
Just curious, the document you posted is a certificate of destruction. I didn't think RIV, allowed any import of salvage vehicles. Has that changed?

Also, my understanding, EIN or Tax I.d. number, every one that files an income tax return in the USA, has one.

Basically it's not worth the Haskell to do it yourself. Pay the 50.00, it's insignificant in the overall price of a vehicle.
Importing a salvage vehicle has no issues. You could always import salvage. You can import any kind of title including floor, fire etc, except with a flood or fire you have to import as parts only, car can never be out on road.

It's not that it's not worth the hassle for $50, it that a canadian can't use the aes system to do the importing. Only a broker can. If it was possible I would do it, $50 over many cars still adds up at the end of the year to a significant amount.

Get notified of new replies

To IMporting from US- NEW RULES?

Old 12-05-2014, 11:33 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Great info Northern Corvette, thanks for posting!
Old 12-29-2014, 01:00 PM
canuck buick
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info Northern have you got any brokers you can recomend in the Windsor region. i plan on buying an older Jag in the next month or so in the states.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:23 PM
0Northern Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by canuck buick
Thanks for the info Northern have you got any brokers you can recomend in the Windsor region. i plan on buying an older Jag in the next month or so in the states.
PM sent

Quick Reply: IMporting from US- NEW RULES?