Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Any of you Niagara guys know about this 63 SWC ROTTING in NOTL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:33 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Default Any of you Niagara guys know about this 63 SWC ROTTING in NOTL?

Did a fantastic "eco-touring" cruise last weekend in Cadillac's electric ELR. Oktoberfest, Lake Huron, back roads to London, then all over Niagara, all part of Sun Country Highway's eMazing Race challenge where we get points for visiting their many EV charging stations.

(Here are the trip pics for anyone interested)

While driving Niagara-on-the-Lake I noticed (parked on a front lawn on Wesley Ave) what looked like a mid-year under a tarp:

Doing my best not to let curiosity overwhelm respect for other's property, a closer look I can see it's a 63 Split Window Coupe. Yep, one of the most iconic and valued production Corvettes.
Didn't disturb the tarp, but Sebring Silver body looks fairly intact, and through the worn-through part I can see the interior doesn't look too bad.

if the historic plates on it are real it hasn't been legally tagged for over 7 years, and considering how it's now sunk chassis deep into the dirt, it's spent a lot of those 7 years right here. I can't imagine the birdcage would be too strong.

It's hardly in an out-of-the way spot, so I imagine the property and/or car owner has received many offers. Maybe he thinks it's still worth $100K, or more ? In restored condition it could probably pull $90K today, but it could take $70K to bring it up to that state. On a new frame, could be a decent resto-mod candidate, but that would easily bring the resto cost over $100K.

Such a shame to see it like this.
Anyone know the person and/or story here?
Old 10-26-2014, 08:23 AM
monstrocity
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool find. You never know why these things happen. Usually bad things in people's lives... death, illness, divorce, bankruptcy. Live for the day!
Old 10-26-2014, 09:02 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Hi Paul, don't venture into this area of the forum much anymore but as "M" said above nice find. The house looks to be in the same sort of condition as that SWC. Sad but lots of these found during the late 70's and '80's. You're right about it requiring big$$ in order to bring it back. What was the condition of the fibreglass and glass? Would imagine the interior, engine bay etc to be a mess as well.

Hope you had a great vetting season, I swapped in a ZZ383 this summer and crated the #'s engine. We've done 3 or 4 vintage vette cruises since August. Next fall will be taking the vette down through the various southern roads incl TOTD, Skyway, BR and Cherohala. Promised a few ppl we'd join in their vette club runs in SC and NC along the way. A retired friend will be in the passenger seats with our wives flying to Charleston, Savannah and Nashville and maybe NO to join us. Some more work to do next spring and summer then paint (wrap maybe) upon return.

I may be joing up with the boys on their 50th farewell tour, won't be at the To concerts but NJ and NY will happen.

Hope you and Jenny are still enjoying life to its max. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Last edited by gdh; 10-26-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:26 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

What a shame it is to see a classic vette rot away like that!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:00 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I may be joing up with the boys on their 50th farewell tour
What did I miss Paul et al, is there going to be an event for our '65's next year? That ' 63 would definetly be worth looking into, hope someone locally can get the lowdown on it.

Last edited by vt65; 10-30-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:43 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vt65
What did I miss Paul et al, is there going to be an event for our '65's next year? That ' 63 would definetly be worth looking into, hope someone locally can get the lowdown on it.
"The boys" that Greg's referring to would be "The Who" that, like the Stones refuse to go away quietly (thankfullly!)

Is there going to be an event next year? I sure as heck hope so!
It won't be 'til September that my car and I turn 50, but I've been working hard at my project list to have everything DONE to enjoy our 50th year playing a lot more than working! 44 weekends to go
Old 11-20-2015, 11:28 PM
Tom Spence
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Default 63 swc rotting away finds a new home

Well you guys missed another great deal. Last owner finally caved after a polite reasonable offer and cut it loose. Some air in tires, fresh gas in the tank and some serious talented cleaning, it's almost ready to go down the road again. Lots of original stuff and a great start for its next life.

Doing my best not to let curiosity overwhelm respect for other's property, a closer look I can see it's a 63 Split Window Coupe. Yep, one of the most iconic and valued production Corvettes.
Didn't disturb the tarp, but Sebring Silver body looks fairly intact, and through the worn-through part I can see the interior doesn't look too bad.

if the historic plates on it are real it hasn't been legally tagged for over 7 years, and considering how it's now sunk chassis deep into the dirt, it's spent a lot of those 7 years right here. I can't imagine the birdcage would be too strong.

It's hardly in an out-of-the way spot, so I imagine the property and/or car owner has received many offers. Maybe he thinks it's still worth $100K, or more ? In restored condition it could probably pull $90K today, but it could take $70K to bring it up to that state. On a new frame, could be a decent resto-mod candidate, but that would easily bring the resto cost over $100K.

Anyone know the person and/or story here?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Tom Spence; 11-20-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:24 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

Glad to see you rescued it. I hope to see it on the Niagara Parkway sometime doing a cruise. Don't forget to post pictures of your restoration process to. That's always nice to read and learn. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:16 AM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Spence
Well you guys missed another great deal. Last owner finally caved after a polite reasonable offer and cut it loose. Some air in tires, fresh gas in the tank and some serious talented cleaning, it's almost ready to go down the road again. Lots of original stuff and a great start for its next life.

Anyone know the person and/or story here?

So, how was that a great deal?
Old 11-21-2015, 10:19 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Wow Tom,
Certainly cleaned up nice! Congratulations on the rescue of this '63.

FWIW I was never in a position to make an offer myself. Just seemed so odd to find a car like this just tarped and sinking into open ground. From my quick underbody shots you've got some work ahead. Rust never sleeps, it creeps! I hope you keep us posted on your progress with it, and look forward to seeing you out enjoying this 63 on the road ahead.

So what was the story on the previous owner? Was he hoping to someday restore it, or just waiting for the right offer?
Old 11-21-2015, 12:20 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

If you don't ask - you don't get. Congrats
Old 11-25-2015, 10:27 AM
Tom Spence
Instructor

Default Progress report

This car is not mine. I was asked to give it a good look over. It is currently waiting for another car to be finished before deciding what direction it will take. Driver, survivor, resto mod or potential full blown NCRS restoration. Current owner has lots of resources and some tough decisions to make. This car deserves to be lightly tweaked, have some incorrect parts replaced with REAL ones and brought out for judging where the real cars are more appreciated IMHO. but I'm just an old Corvette guy stuck in the 60's.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:32 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tom Spence
This car is not mine. I was asked to give it a good look over. It is currently waiting for another car to be finished before deciding what direction it will take. Driver, survivor, resto mod or potential full blown NCRS restoration. Current owner has lots of resources and some tough decisions to make. This car deserves to be lightly tweaked, have some incorrect parts replaced with REAL ones and brought out for judging where the real cars are more appreciated IMHO. but I'm just an old Corvette guy stuck in the 60's.
Great thing about these modern times is there are so many options available for any owner to do anything he/she wants.

So what's the story on the previous owner? I'm glad to see it's not spending another year in the dirt, which seemed so odd. Did he have sentimental history with it or was he just hanging on until it could sell for big bux?
Old 11-27-2015, 11:38 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

Great thread revival... I remember when it was first posted and considering going for a look. Seeing a lot better times now it is...
Old 11-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Tom Spence
Instructor

Default Now the rest of the story...almost.

Spoiler

Originally Posted by PaulUptime
Great thing about these modern times is there are so many options available for any owner to do anything he/she wants.

So what's the story on the previous owner? I'm glad to see it's not spending another year in the dirt, which seemed so odd. Did he have sentimental history with it or was he just hanging on until it could sell for big bux?
I was over yesterday checking on my car & seen the 63. It is really starting to come around. Virtually no signs of any surface rust from sitting. Starts and runs fabulous. Some seat repairs made, carpets even thought tattered, now redyed look clean and 50 years old. PATINA...that's what it's called these days....all chemicals. Got an AFB with a glass bowl filter and steel pipe lined up to replace the incorrect Holley carb with chrome dual feed gas line (ugly) and new wires to replace the blue MSD stuff. I'm all over this as I used to have Vin # 10,803 that just got pulled out of a building in Grimsby sitting since the early 80's. See neat thread on the DB (for you NCRS watchers) titled: 63 Barn Find and new to ncrs by Don Hutcheson.
So anyways the former owner had some issues...medical, physical, social logical etc had to move in with relatives, couldn't restore the car as dreamed about many years ago, then lost the list with names and $$$ offers on it. TIMING. One person, one day. Done. Grand Sport Sam told me about this car at least 3-4 years ago but i never seen it in real until my 1st reply here. That's all I can say for the time being as project moves slowly forward.

Last edited by Tom Spence; 11-29-2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Add photo taken Nov.20th-2015
Old 11-28-2015, 09:17 AM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

Is that a picture of the car as it sits today?????
Old 12-02-2015, 10:24 AM
Brooklinite
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I saw this car in NOTL a year or two ago, I never would have thought it would clean up so well.

Get notified of new replies

To Any of you Niagara guys know about this 63 SWC ROTTING in NOTL?

Quick Reply: Any of you Niagara guys know about this 63 SWC ROTTING in NOTL?