Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Bringing a C7 into Canada from U.S. - Questions

We are currently bidding a very large (~$80M CAD) project in Ontario and if we win I will be the Project Manager. That would require a temporary (up to 5 years) assignment there for me. I would want to bring my '14 C7 vert with me. Anyone here done something like that, know what Customs fees might be, whether there is any difference between a C7 sold in Canada and one sold in the U.S, or have any info about what I'm looking at?

TIA

Old 11-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

I could be 100% wrong here but I don't think you would have to pay anything to bring the car in. If it is your personal transportation and you do not plan on selling it here I cannot see why you would have to pay duties or taxes. You may have to at some point get Ontario tags for it.

I know someone will jump in if I am wrong.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:17 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

I am a dealer and you are correct there wont be any charges.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:51 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

0, you're not buying or selling.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:27 AM
JPEAK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
We are currently bidding a very large (~$80M CAD) project in Ontario and if we win I will be the Project Manager. That would require a temporary (up to 5 years) assignment there for me. I would want to bring my '14 C7 vert with me. Anyone here done something like that, know what Customs fees might be, whether there is any difference between a C7 sold in Canada and one sold in the U.S, or have any info about what I'm looking at?

TIA

Best thing to do is to read the followwing attachments. For more information from outside Canada, call 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/new_measures_work.asp
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/p...-eng.html#s4x2
Old 11-12-2014, 08:11 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Thanks for the answers, much appreciated. I'll know by next summer at the latest if this will happen.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:18 PM
macs65
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My understanding is that if you are in Ontario Canada (taking up residency/working) for more than 6 months you will require an Ont. drivers licence (it'a a simple exchange) and Ontario plates for the car. It is a Federal offence to driver a U.S plated vehicle in Canada with a Canadian drivers licence (contravines various tax laws). In order to attach the plates the vehicle will have to meet Canadian safety standards. Such things as your speedo will require a metric read out front bumper crash standards are different U.S.A to Canada. Your U.S Ins will not cover the car once plated in Ontario. I have been retired for 11 years so some of the above may have changed.

Again this is my understanding, I would suggest that you call the Ont Ministry of Transportation Drivers and Vehicles Compliance office to get the true facts. Canadian Boarder Security is only interesed in Federal statute not Provincial.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:25 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by macs65
My understanding is that if you are in Ontario Canada (taking up residency/working) for more than 6 months you will require an Ont. drivers licence (it'a a simple exchange) and Ontario plates for the car. It is a Federal offence to driver a U.S plated vehicle in Canada with a Canadian drivers licence (contravines various tax laws). In order to attach the plates the vehicle will have to meet Canadian safety standards. Such things as your speedo will require a metric read out front bumper crash standards are different U.S.A to Canada. Your U.S Ins will not cover the car once plated in Ontario. I have been retired for 11 years so some of the above may have changed.

Again this is my understanding, I would suggest that you call the Ont Ministry of Transportation Drivers and Vehicles Compliance office to get the true facts. Canadian Boarder Security is only interesed in Federal statute not Provincial.
Interesting-so if an American friend who drove across the border was visiting and if he asked a Canadian licensed driver if he would like to take his car for a spin,that could land one in jail?
Old 11-22-2014, 12:36 PM
macs65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Interesting-so if an American friend who drove across the border was visiting and if he asked a Canadian licensed driver if he would like to take his car for a spin,that could land one in jail?
If during my shift, i stopped this person for some reason and discovered a Canadian lic driver operating a none duty paid American plated vehicle on a Kings hwy in Ont my direction would be to turn the situation over to the RCMP. This is/was a Federal issue not Municipal or Provincial. Don't think jail would be an issue, however there may be a trial and a penalty of some sort, or depending on the situation and history of the accused maybe just a warning.

The larger problem would be a serious accident where the Canadian driver is operating a U.S. insured vehicle. I would not want to deal with the possible problems here just for a short thrill ride.

As I suggested earlier check with your Provincial and Federal authority to see what how the laws in your Province apply, and again things may have changed over the past 11 years.

Last edited by macs65; 11-22-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:47 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by macs65

Bumper laws were changed in 08. Both are the same now. My 07 Z06 was purchased new in the US by me and required "Canadian" bumper foam but it is the same standard now. The metric speedo isn't an issue as you just push the button to change from miles to kilometers. If it's your personal car and in your name, you can bring it into Canada and plate it here with no questions asked.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:41 PM
macs65
Burning Brakes

Older vehicles that do not change from metric to Imp and back can be done by appling stickers that were provided at the boarder. Vehicles entering Canada to be plated here were required to go to CTC and have a compliance inspection completed, for instance day time running lamps are not mandated in the U.S. but are required by law in Ont, again a form provided by Can Boarder Security was to be completed by the inspecting mech insuring that the modifications were completed, then submitted to MTO for plating. Not sure if CTC still holds the contract. there was also a requirement to provide a letter from a dealer indicating that all recalls had been completed prior to entry. Vehicle vintage plays a role in the rules that may be applied as well.

Last edited by macs65; 11-22-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bringing a C7 into Canada from U.S. - Questions

Quick Reply: Bringing a C7 into Canada from U.S. - Questions