Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Opinion on first gen CTS-V's? (500rwhp).

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Draven
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Looks fantastic bud, nice buy!
Old 11-25-2014, 12:58 PM
byebyeL98
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13

Nice Rick!!! Congratulations! Definitely sounds like a fun ride .
Old 11-26-2014, 01:17 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

thanks boys. going to buy some stock rims soon and have them powder coated like the C5 Z rims.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:15 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks great - but I agree with you about the rims.
Can't advise on what you can switch too - what did the stock wheels look like?
Old 11-27-2014, 04:11 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Originally Posted by Stickshiftsteve
Looks great - but I agree with you about the rims.
Can't advise on what you can switch too - what did the stock wheels look like?
stockers look great!
Old 11-27-2014, 08:17 PM
Caddyboy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
stockers look great!
Used to have stock chrome ones, look fantastic. Have a set of old and beaten up stock silver somewhere if you want them. Also had a set of stock multi-spoke ones that were nice too and a set of 19" custom ones. Wow, lots now that I think about it.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:58 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Great looking car, sounds like you will really enjoy it and with all the fam in tow.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:49 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Originally Posted by sami85L98
rick, you should buy these and refinish them, without breaking bank, after two sets i came back to stock Z06 wheels with black painted and i am stay like that.

Honestly i think you will like C5 Z06 stock wheels on your caddy, think about it?
Mornimg Sami. FYI. The V's are 6 bolt!
Old 11-28-2014, 08:31 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Originally Posted by Caddyboy
Used to have stock chrome ones, look fantastic. Have a set of old and beaten up stock silver somewhere if you want them. Also had a set of stock multi-spoke ones that were nice too and a set of 19" custom ones. Wow, lots now that I think about it.
i sent you a pm.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:15 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

I believe the factory wheels are 8.5" and won't handle much larger than stock size rubber. Maybe 275s but you will lose some tire performance. Weldcraft out of Michigan widens the Caddy rims but I think only a max of 1" so the 9.5" will run a 285 properly or a 295 with some distortion.

IIRC anything bigger than a 275 will have the trailing arms as the first point of interference. I think I said MAP for trailing arms but they are out of that now however Creative Steel makes them too and fairly cheap. You said you already had CS bits so maybe you have it already. They also make a cheap part called a bushing block that physically blocks wheel hop. If you don't have it you should get it.

I don't think you can go any wider than 10" or maybe 10.5" rims without a minitub or flares so when you see one of these cars with big rubber it really sticks out from the crowd. Caddyboys" 19" wheels might be the ticket but fitment might require some help.
I think this guy is running 325s.
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2014, 03:25 PM
Caddyboy
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by nuck
I believe the factory wheels are 8.5" and won't handle much larger than stock size rubber. Maybe 275s but you will lose some tire performance. Weldcraft out of Michigan widens the Caddy rims but I think only a max of 1" so the 9.5" will run a 285 properly or a 295 with some distortion.

IIRC anything bigger than a 275 will have the trailing arms as the first point of interference. I think I said MAP for trailing arms but they are out of that now however Creative Steel makes them too and fairly cheap. You said you already had CS bits so maybe you have it already. They also make a cheap part called a bushing block that physically blocks wheel hop. If you don't have it you should get it.

I don't think you can go any wider than 10" or maybe 10.5" rims without a minitub or flares so when you see one of these cars with big rubber it really sticks out from the crowd. Caddyboys" 19" wheels might be the ticket but fitment might require some help.
I think this guy is running 325s.
True.

Stock 18" rims are almost all 8" with one exception that's 8.5.

The ones I have on are 19x10" on 285 rubber. It's a good fit but had to roll the fenders a little as I'm running aftermarket suspension that sits lower. Anything over 295 and you'll need more work. 305+ trailing arms are the least of your worry.

I'm not selling my 19" btw Was selling my old stock 18"s.

Getting wheels for this car is a major pain, basically everything is custom. You do have the option of switching to a C5 or C6 hub assembly and thereby making use of 5 bolt wheels. Or even a V2 hubs (haven't been following the latest hacks on the caddy forums).
Old 11-30-2014, 03:51 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

True.

The ones I have on are 19x10" on 285 rubber. It's a good fit but had to roll the fenders a little as I'm running aftermarket suspension that sits lower. Anything over 295 and you'll need more work. 305+ trailing arms are the least of your worry.

Getting wheels for this car is a major pain, basically everything is custom. You do have the option of switching to a C5 or C6 hub assembly and thereby making use of 5 bolt wheels. Or even a V2 hubs (haven't been following the latest hacks on the caddy forums).
I thought a set of custom 19s for sale was too good to be true. Never found them when I had a V. The wheels and the 112 Maggie were two huge headaches for me and probably why I didn't keep the car longer. I should have done more research and started with a stocker and maybe gone Whipple, minitub, with the Corvette hubs but it looks so promising to buy a built car for almost stock money instead of throwing another 15k onto an unmodified car. There was a guy on the V board who swapped in an LS7 which would be the ideal move if you had a blown motor. 20-20 hindsight I should have maybe done that. Would be a perfect setup for the Gen 1 V with just a mild cam.

I am not a fan of the black powder coat. It reminds me of winter tires on steel rims.
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2014, 07:20 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

True.

yes the stockers are all 8.5 inch wide from what i read. i actually think the stock rim design still looks good beimg 10 years old.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:22 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

I thought a set of custom 19s for sale was too good to be true. Never found them when I had a V. The wheels and the 112 Maggie were two huge headaches for me and probably why I didn't keep the car longer. I should have done more research and started with a stocker and maybe gone Whipple, minitub, with the Corvette hubs but it looks so promising to buy a built car for almost stock money instead of throwing another 15k onto an unmodified car. There was a guy on the V board who swapped in an LS7 which would be the ideal move if you had a blown motor. 20-20 hindsight I should have maybe done that. Would be a perfect setup for the Gen 1 V with just a mild cam.

I am not a fan of the black powder coat. It reminds me of winter tires on steel rims.
The car I bought had about 14k in mods. What colour rims you think look good on a silver car? I was thinking of the colour of the C5 Z06 rims.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:59 AM
nuck
Burning Brakes

The car I bought had about 14k in mods. What colour rims you think look good on a silver car? I was thinking of the colour of the C5 Z06 rims.
Whatever color you want to see every day is the one that looks good. My car was debadged with a black grill and powder coated wheels when I found it. I preferred the stock appearance but bought it for the mods. I happen to like the look of the stock wheels too, just not the dinky tires. I have seen some nice chrome wheels but chrome is heavy and slows you down. If you mean just painted stock wheels the Z06 gray I think that would look pretty good. Sort of factory, but not, so people would look twice. That and the fattest tires you can squeeze in the fenders, and maybe an aftermarket hood. This one is Extreme Composites.
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2014, 05:39 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Whatever color you want to see every day is the one that looks good. My car was debadged with a black grill and powder coated wheels when I found it. I preferred the stock appearance but bought it for the mods. I happen to like the look of the stock wheels too, just not the dinky tires. I have seen some nice chrome wheels but chrome is heavy and slows you down. If you mean just painted stock wheels the Z06 gray I think that would look pretty good. Sort of factory, but not, so people would look twice. That and the fattest tires you can squeeze in the fenders, and maybe an aftermarket hood. This one is Extreme Composites.
Nice. I bought mine because of the mods as well. What mods did yours have and why was the maggie a pain?
Old 12-02-2014, 08:30 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

Nice. I bought mine because of the mods as well. What mods did yours have and why was the maggie a pain?
The 112h is kind of a dead end power adder. The Mustang 4.6 version can be ported and a Procharger can be upgraded by a head unit swap but the Caddy 112 just sort of hits the wall at under 500 RWHP. Its fine you want a 500 hp car but not if you want more. It was kind of all there was out there in 04-05 but as the new big blowers came out even though the LS6 and LS3 were well supported in Vette applications, the first gen V was more or less ignored. There was a Whipple available for a couple of years which would have been the ideal option but you would be hard pressed to locate one.

Its a trouble free blower for the most part and fine if you are happy with performance similar to a stock Gen 2. The only "headache" is when you start looking to kick the power up a notch and find the 112 can't be built on. The LS6 is such a nice engine it deserves a blower option that would really throw that V around.

Mine had the twin disc clutch with 60lb injectors, a 13lb flywheel and headers. The pulleys were maxed out and I actually made 480rwhp and 502 tq. The previous owner ran E85 hence the 60s, and he made 530 with this combo but you can't get E85 around here. There was some other small stuff that I don't recall. The wheel hop pieces were all added by me.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinion on first gen CTS-V's? (500rwhp).

Old 12-03-2014, 12:22 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

The 112h is kind of a dead end power adder. The Mustang 4.6 version can be ported and a Procharger can be upgraded by a head unit swap but the Caddy 112 just sort of hits the wall at under 500 RWHP. Its fine you want a 500 hp car but not if you want more. It was kind of all there was out there in 04-05 but as the new big blowers came out even though the LS6 and LS3 were well supported in Vette applications, the first gen V was more or less ignored. There was a Whipple available for a couple of years which would have been the ideal option but you would be hard pressed to locate one.

Its a trouble free blower for the most part and fine if you are happy with performance similar to a stock Gen 2. The only "headache" is when you start looking to kick the power up a notch and find the 112 can't be built on. The LS6 is such a nice engine it deserves a blower option that would really throw that V around.

Mine had the twin disc clutch with 60lb injectors, a 13lb flywheel and headers. The pulleys were maxed out and I actually made 480rwhp and 502 tq. The previous owner ran E85 hence the 60s, and he made 530 with this combo but you can't get E85 around here. There was some other small stuff that I don't recall. The wheel hop pieces were all added by me.
I don't think anything over 500 rwhp is needed for me. But in saying that, if I wanted more rwhp, instead of upping the boost couldn't I just port out the heads and gain 30 rwhp or so?
Old 12-03-2014, 03:17 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

I don't think anything over 500 rwhp is needed for me. But in saying that, if I wanted more rwhp, instead of upping the boost couldn't I just port out the heads and gain 30 rwhp or so?
I always start out thinking the power is okay but as I get accustomed to it the need to mod happens. I can usually go about a year without doing something. Keep in mind the blown V only accelerates about the same as a stock LS3 Vette because of all that weight, and you still have to sort out how to get all that power to the ground. But if you don't feel the need to mod further that's excellent because it is a great car just as it sits and modding is flushed money at resale time. I however am weak and subject to temptation.

About the heads I am not sure porting the LS6 head is good for 30hp by itself and it is quite labor intensive to do a head swap on these cars if you aren't doing the work yourself. You would probably want to do a cam at the same time as there is a big labor overlap with cam and heads. Nothing too chunky is necessary, especially with the FI, so the car will still drive the same except at WOT. You should maybe check out the venders in the C5 FI section and get their cam kit recommendation for a boosted LS6.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Caddyboy
Heel & Toe

Not really, it's a small displacement supercharger (I recall 1.7L or something in that region), there's only so much air it can cram in before it becomes a furnace so head work may not net you much. You could try porting the s/c I guess. Keep in mind the stock kit's intercooler is garbage. The belt tensioner is garbage and a lot of the wiring harnesses could do with some improvement. This won't matter to you if you're running stock diameters on your pulleys but when you start under/over driving the maggie these will need replacement.

In all my years with the maggie and on the caddy forums I've yet to see a caddy break the 500rwhp with that specific kit. I'm sure someone will chime in and say they have 5billion rwtq on their Fiat Panda with it but it's very very rare. Again, I'm out of touch with the caddy boards these days so who knows.

Plenty of folks have done it on these cars but in different ways. A TVS unit is a pretty decent improvement if you ever want to change it.

It's a solid kit, great for the street. Just keep an eye on your serpentine belt.

Quick Reply: Opinion on first gen CTS-V's? (500rwhp).