Canadian Events Canada, eh?

An Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Congratulations for going those extra miles, Sami! Well done sir!!
Old 12-13-2014, 12:31 AM
OBSESHON Mark
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Way to go Sami !! Great work!!
Old 12-13-2014, 09:22 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Good job Sami!!
Old 12-14-2014, 12:50 AM
Stainsy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sami85L98
Thanks everyone, i had problems with internet and brutal busy at work, this was quite a project for me mainly dave (stainsy) lives little far than i am comfortable with, however i dived into it because i had confidence i can easily restore his car where it was and even better and second dave's financial situation was not too great and options of getting another engine was slim and end up in expensive.

I took a deep breath and say lets do it right here in your garage and will rebuilt same motor, his shortbock was pretty except 2 piston rings were toast, i said this would be great time to replace all psiton rings, and basically re do everything top-end.

while there i also did Rod bearings (king ) and ARP rod bolts.

Who else worked on this engine before made a mess may be they did a rush job using air tools where ever they can and cross thread few bolts and stripped few, i had to use Helicoil on some bolts and some rethread.

Before i call for rebuild same engine, i did tons of measurement and found short block deserve a rebuilt not scrap.....some new parts and lots of labor......engine back to running state, all he needs a re-tune and will be taken care of in spring.

Dave thanks for the opportunity and great hospitality, i found you as friend and biggest asset you have buddy, you listened to me whatever i said regarding parts.

This winter will seem long to you but sure you going to enjoy this beast in spring and its just around the corner....lol.

Note: just FYI, dave's motor did broke lifter, and needle bearing from rocker arms found in oil pan, so i highly recommend BTR or Comp Cam Trunion kit for stock Rocker ams upgrade, installation is easy i can help if you want to upgrade, and highly recommend New lifters (c6 Z06) when doing head upgrade or H/C packages, Dave's motor got all these parts and i am happy he listened to me.
Sami, not only did I get my car back, more importantly, I found a friend. I will never forget what you did for me, and you know your welcome back here anytime you want. You are the nicest guy I have met in a long time.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:39 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Good to hear it's back together. Thumbs up to Sammi for helping you out.

I recall your issues in another thread a few months back. You should have posted you were from Clinton back then. I'm not too far away from you (an hour maybe) and could have helped you take a look at it at the least. You seemed way too concerned about paying huge border duties to attempt any repairs in Canada at that time.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:28 AM
Stainsy
Instructor

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Good to hear it's back together. Thumbs up to Sammi for helping you out.

I recall your issues in another thread a few months back. You should have posted you were from Clinton back then. I'm not too far away from you (an hour maybe) and could have helped you take a look at it at the least. You seemed way too concerned about paying huge border duties to attempt any repairs in Canada at that time.
Yeah, I will admit I threw a few scenarios around for getting the car fixed. As far as border duties, it wasn't just that, but all the sales tax up here on what was lengthy repairs. I looked into crated motors, that had been remanufactured. HPA down in Delaware quoted me if my motor was unsalvageable, he had a used one. With all new top of the motor innards, 7k U.S. installed. That is of course if nothing went wrong.

I talked to the gentleman at Champion in Toronto, and he said at the least 11K, Canadian, and that was before tax. So add at least another 1400 tax. That's a huge difference. A guy could have done a lot of driving for that and still saved money. I have a trailer the car would have fit in as well.

I can't think that it could have come out any better than it did though. Sami did a great job. I learned a lot, and the car is running great now. I have seen several members say how these forums are very special, and that its the people that make it that way. They are not wrong. Sami is a great guy, and he really did do me a huge favour. Its not ever going to be forgotten.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Stainsy
Instructor

Default Here are the parts that went in:

Originally Posted by Boss75
Well...what did you put in it?!

Old 12-20-2014, 10:56 PM
WildWilly55
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 92 Posts

Hey Sami---always a positive contributing member of this forum---always a wealth of information and ready to share at any time!! People like Sami make this forum what is meant to be!!!
Old 12-21-2014, 03:54 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Going to put a supercharger on it next?
Old 12-21-2014, 08:41 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

Dave once you get it tuned in the spring and get used to it you'll really enjoy that cam....
Old 12-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Stainsy
Instructor

Originally Posted by dankhts
Dave once you get it tuned in the spring and get used to it you'll really enjoy that cam....
I already do enjoy that cam. The car sounds louder than it did before, and although I haven't had it over 3500 rpm, it pulls very good. Only put about 150k on it the Monday after Sami got it together, but I am very pleased with the way the car drove. I imagine the tune, coupled with some break in time, that car will certainly have more than enough grunt for what I want from it.

Sami is absolutely right. There won't be a cam swap until I am done at this motel, and have the $$$ and the time to maybe race.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:30 PM
0Rob@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes you call us, but we never saw or diagnose your car. $11000 would have been worst case scenario new crate engine with cam and springs. A job like what Sami did would still cost around $4000 parts and labor. It's nice to have a guy like Sami to help anyone in need.
Rob.
Originally Posted by Stainsy
Yeah, I will admit I threw a few scenarios around for getting the car fixed. As far as border duties, it wasn't just that, but all the sales tax up here on what was lengthy repairs. I looked into crated motors, that had been remanufactured. HPA down in Delaware quoted me if my motor was unsalvageable, he had a used one. With all new top of the motor innards, 7k U.S. installed. That is of course if nothing went wrong.

I talked to the gentleman at Champion in Toronto, and he said at the least 11K, Canadian, and that was before tax. So add at least another 1400 tax. That's a huge difference. A guy could have done a lot of driving for that and still saved money. I have a trailer the car would have fit in as well.

I can't think that it could have come out any better than it did though. Sami did a great job. I learned a lot, and the car is running great now. I have seen several members say how these forums are very special, and that its the people that make it that way. They are not wrong. Sami is a great guy, and he really did do me a huge favour. Its not ever going to be forgotten.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:53 PM
Stainsy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rob@ChampionMotors
Yes you call us, but we never saw or diagnose your car. $11000 would have been worst case scenario new crate engine with cam and springs. A job like what Sami did would still cost around $4000 parts and labor. It's nice to have a guy like Sami to help anyone in need.
Rob.
I agree. That is why I am so grateful to Sami. I do not know why your so upset. I made the call, you gave your quote. You have to admit, it was worse case scenario. Even Sami at one point thought I was going to have to scrap the motor.

If I insulted you, or you feel I am running your Company down, far from the truth. I was only giving the facts I had to base a decision on. I had more than a few members recommend your shop, but I could not afford you.

That is what makes what Sami did for me so much more special. I would not have had that car back for at least a year. I had put only 5000 km on it, and it was a paperweight. I am grateful to Sami. He restored my car to me, and I can drive it in the spring. This was supposed to be a feel good thread. I don't think I need to say more.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:57 AM
FivePointFarms
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't say anything negative about the supporting vendor or you will be banned from the site.

Glad everything worked out.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:42 AM
0Rob@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sami85L98
Rob, $4000 alone would be labor only at $75/hr at a mini, plus machine shop alone will cost over 1000 bucks for assembling short block and heads.

This was not a engine swap, i completly rebuilt his engine from every single bolt from oil pan to all the to intake filter and everything in between.

His parts alone was $2400, so $1400 for complete Re-Re? 1400 dont even cost swap engines these days, not to forget i did complete diagnose as well, measured every inch area of his short block, glazed cylinder walls, setting up piston, rods and rings, bearings install and measure, even measured his oil pump completely disassembled....for finding, cleaning and measure clearances in oil pump, installed Rocker arm trunion kit, many bolt holes were stripped, did teh helicoil, 80% bolts nuts properly torqued.

Cleaning heads, installing springs and set up shims to make perfect valve train, rocker arm trunion install.

No shops will do what i have done atleast not for $1400......no way.

I work in a shop and all 9 mechanics are licensed and have not less than 10 yrs of experience, i know what prices are in GTA specially for this kind of work.

Most important all work done at his place and right infront him while explaining what i am doing and why, no other shop will do that.....i gurantee you.

I have done this job as dave was financially not stable and i have no idea felt i should help him out and it was my promise to make this motor running again, and i knew i can do it and i did. A promise was promise.
I'm giving you props Sami you went way beyond.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:50 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

If I insulted you, or you feel I am running your Company down, far from the truth. I was only giving the facts I had to base a decision on.
The below is what Rob was clarifying. Saying you were quoted $11k minimum vs the reality of $11k maximum is a huge difference.

I talked to the gentleman at Champion in Toronto, and he said at the least 11K, Canadian, and that was before tax.
Originally Posted by Rob@ChampionMotors
Yes you call us, but we never saw or diagnose your car. $11000 would have been worst case scenario new crate engine with cam and springs.
Rob.

Quick Reply: An Appreciation Thread