Canadian Events Canada, eh?

First time visiting Montreal for 2015 Formula 1 Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 02:04 AM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default First time visiting Montreal for 2015 Formula 1 Grand Prix

I decided to buy tickets to the Formula 1 Grand Prix in Montreal for 2015. Race is June 5th-7th. Since I've never been to Montreal, I am going to spend a few extra days there after the race and was curious as to any destinations or places I should go see during my stay. I will be bringing my wife and children with me, so I'm not interested in anything that is not family friendly. We will likely be staying at the Westin near Old Montreal since it is one of the few places I am familiar with and would like to experience, plus it's close to the Metro to get to and from the circuit.

So I will visit a few places in the city centre during our stay, but I am debating renting a car for a day or two to drive out into the countryside some if there were any destinations worth the trip near by. I am not looking for a 4+ hour drive however, so it needs to be within a reasonable distance of Montreal. Since I don't know anyone from Montreal, I felt my best chance and getting some information was likely from the forum members who live there.

If anyone else is attending, I booked 5 of the Trio Pole Position tickets. I debated the Trio Senna, but decided I wanted to see the start, finish, watch the pits, have TV monitors, and comfortable seats for Sunday as opposed to the bleacher seats. Most of the times, the straight away can be quite boring, but here's hoping. Anyways, if anyone else will be there and wanted to meet up, just shoot me a PM. This will be my first F1 experience outside the U.S. I debated attending Spa, but decided not to deal with that level of hiking with the family. So Canada it is.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:26 AM
formula1nut
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Villeneuve Museum

If you are a formula 1 fan I suggest you take a short drive to see the Villeneuve Museum in Berthierville. For guys like me that "grew up" with Gilles it is a bit of a pilgramage but it is really worth seeing.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:40 AM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I attend the race every once in a while and thoroughly enjoy Montreal. I didn't attend this year due to the rule changes, but will probably return next year. I'm not all that familiar with the surrounding area, but remember the Gatineau Hills area to be beautiful.

Last edited by 4 KRUSIN; 12-15-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:57 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Will not likely be able to make Montreal but my wife and I are planning to get to Austin and maybe Monza. Will also take in a FE race next yr.
As 4Kruzin stated the Gatineau Hills are beautiful. There is so much to see and do in Montreal that you may find yourself and family content to explore the city. Are you flying in? A number of years ago a group of us took the train and had a great time. I am not a big fan of driving into the city with all of the traffic. Here's hoping for an exciting race, that RB, McLaren, Ferrari and Williams will provide a real challenge to Mercedes next year.
Nice to see another F1 fan on here.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:45 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Excellent. I will do some homework on the Gatineau Hills. I would prefer allowing the kids to go run around more outside as opposed to walking city streets looking at museums. I've heard the science museum near Old Montreal was decent, so we may swing by there during our stay. I will be using the Metro for most of my transit and only driving if I choose to rent a car and explore areas beyond the city.

I'm very excited to see Montreal and see how other F1 events are managed, experience the fans, atmosphere, etc... I would love to head to overseas, but my children are not at the appropriate ages to justify the expense at this time. I want them to at least vaguely remember the trip.

Get notified of new replies

To First time visiting Montreal for 2015 Formula 1 Grand Prix

Quick Reply: First time visiting Montreal for 2015 Formula 1 Grand Prix