Canadian Events Canada, eh?

B.m.w. X5 f/s

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 05:45 PM
macs65
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default B.m.w. X5 f/s

I know this is off topic but it seems like a good deal for a second vehicle or a winter car.

2002, 180 thousand km, 4.4 liter. i know nothing about BMW however
this one looks pretty good. Black with sandy brown interior it appears to be a loaded vehicle.
It needs about $400.00 worth of repairs to safety. A freind who is a mechanic in the east end of Tor has the car and is asking $4000.00, best offer or trade considered.
He is a motivated seller, if anyone is interested P/M me and I'll give you the phone number and location.

Again i have no first hand knowlege of this vehicle, nor do I have any personal interest in the sale. Just spreading the word for a friend.

Last edited by macs65; 12-21-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:51 PM
slickpete83
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

yes its a very good price.......

but don't do it , BMW and M.Benz are a money pit when it comes to maintenance specially with 180K on them and off warranty , i would go for a Lexus , Toyota , Acura or Honda SUV anything Japanese , just my advice for corvette forum members

Last edited by slickpete83; 12-22-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:06 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by slickpete83
yes its a very good price.......

but don't do it , BMW and M.Benz are a money pit when it comes to maintenance specially with 180K on them and off warranty , i would go for a Lexus , Toyota , Acura or Honda SUV anything Japanese , just my advice for corvette forum members
have to agree. a lady in our office has 5 series, off warranty, battery need replacing, did it here in our shop, that was it,done, soon as they disconnected the battery and installed the new one, all the computers in the car locked up, had to get it towed to a shop, lad had to unlock the computers and reprogram. i m not a computer wizard, so don t really know what all was involved, car was down for 4 days. for a battery, unfreal, i was afraid to ask her the costs, but i would bet close to a grand.
only way it could have been done was BMW dealer, where you get screwed, only faster.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:25 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

This summer my wife bought a 2010 BMW 328i and we love it! It has been totally reliable so far, we bought it with 80,000km on it for $22,000. It drives like brand new and has so many more features in it than any brand new car for $22,000 would have in it. And it's a real driver's car, you won't find that for $22,000 in a new Toyota Camry or Honda Civic. Sure, someday we probably will get hit with a $2000 repair bill for something that would have cost $500 for a Toyota or Honda, but that's a small price to pay for many years of fun driving that this car will provide us. As Corvette owners, we all understand that the fun cars have a higher price of admission, and many of us have daily drivers that are also fun cars too. Nothing wrong with that
Old 12-23-2014, 04:49 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
This summer my wife bought a 2010 BMW 328i and we love it! It has been totally reliable so far, we bought it with 80,000km on it for $22,000. It drives like brand new and has so many more features in it than any brand new car for $22,000 would have in it. And it's a real driver's car, you won't find that for $22,000 in a new Toyota Camry or Honda Civic. Sure, someday we probably will get hit with a $2000 repair bill for something that would have cost $500 for a Toyota or Honda, but that's a small price to pay for many years of fun driving that this car will provide us. As Corvette owners, we all understand that the fun cars have a higher price of admission, and many of us have daily drivers that are also fun cars too. Nothing wrong with that
am not trying to start something, but you can compare a 328i to a Camry or a civic. would be compared to Acura, Lexus, Infiniti. have to compare cars in the same category.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyejack
am not trying to start something, but you can compare a 328i to a Camry or a civic. would be compared to Acura, Lexus, Infiniti. have to compare cars in the same category.
I was comparing what I could have spent for the same money, that's a very valid point. We were faced with the decision of getting a new car for $22,000 that might be very reliable but very boring, or spending $22,000 for a car that might not be as reliable but is very fun. So far it's been fun and reliable, so we're winning! And yes, we could have looked at a used Acura, Lexus or Infiniti in that same price range, but none of those cars were interesting to me or my wife. The BMW 3 series is her dream car, much like the Corvette is my dream car.

I'm just trying to say that people shouldn't avoid this used BMW because they are afraid of high $$$ repair bills that may or may not occur. Life is too short to drive boring cars
Old 12-23-2014, 08:46 PM
79 Bullet
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman

I'm just trying to say that people shouldn't avoid this used BMW because they are afraid of high $$$ repair bills that may or may not occur. Life is too short to drive boring cars
I agree I would take a used BMW over a new japanese car anyday!! Don't think that a Lexus is much cheaper to fix at a dealer. I am in the process of selling my 2 year old truck that is still under warranty for another USED BMW, but i guess we are all a little different
Old 12-24-2014, 12:03 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Default You re wrong

Originally Posted by 79 Bullet
I agree I would take a used BMW over a new japanese car anyday!! Don't think that a Lexus is much cheaper to fix at a dealer. I am in the process of selling my 2 year old truck that is still under warranty for another USED BMW, but i guess we are all a little different
Lexus is ten times more reliable than bmw .The parts are cheaper and the dealerships offer the best customer service of any brand out there.I been selling cars since 1987 and Lexus is plain and simple the best built car out there.Bmw especially the 35 series with turbo engines are very high maintenance and they ride like a truck, when you hit potholes they are awfull.Older Honda and acura suvs have transmission problems .
Old 12-24-2014, 12:08 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Stay away from older x5s they are terrible and very expensive to fix.The early ones with sunroofs even catch on fire.Google them and see how many lawsuits are on going against bmw for X 5s catching on fire.I have a friend whose son lost limbs in one and was in an induced coma for 4 mths due to severe burns all over his body. so i am not talking out of my hat.Toyota rav 4 ,highlander ,honda crv are much better choices .Stay away from early Honda pilots ,mdx as the transmissions always blow.2005 and up are ususally ok.

Get notified of new replies

To B.m.w. X5 f/s

Quick Reply: B.m.w. X5 f/s