Canadian Events Canada, eh?

9*C and no salt

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I also just got back from Florida - Ft. Lauderdale to be exact - & there sure where a lot of Vettes around.
Great car watching from the patios along the strip.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:12 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
When I visit Florida, especially places like Cocoa Beach, I realize that that is the place to have a Corvette and not in the Artic up here!
My wife and I are definitely going to spend our winters in Florida when we retire, and whatever Corvette I'm driving at the time (C7, C8, C9?) will definitely be there too!
Old 02-17-2015, 09:15 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Stickshiftsteve
I also just got back from Florida - Ft. Lauderdale to be exact - & there sure where a lot of Vettes around.
Great car watching from the patios along the strip.
We flew into Fort Lauderdale (and out of it) and also drove around it a bit and had dinner there on Monday night, but most of our time in Florida was spent in Sunny Isles and Miami (we spent one night in Cape Coral too but we didn't see that many expensive cars there). My favorite spot to car watch was along the A1A, on Sunday night we ate dinner outside at a restaurant that was along the A1A and I saw so many nice cars that it was hard for me to carry on a conversation with my wife because every 20 seconds I was saying "whoa, did you see that cool car?"
Old 02-19-2015, 07:43 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Patman
My wife and I are definitely going to spend our winters in Florida when we retire, and whatever Corvette I'm driving at the time (C7, C8, C9?) will definitely be there too!
If I can afford it then that is my plan as well, we really like it down there!
Old 02-19-2015, 08:08 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Starting next winter for us. We'll split btn Florida, Costa Rica and Equador with tours through the Panama Canal and to the Galapgos Islands. We plan on coming back for a week here and there to check the property and meet OHIP req'ts. We figure that the first few yrs we'll rent then decide where to buy.

Last edited by gdh; 02-19-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:49 AM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gdh
Starting next winter for us. We'll split btn Florida, Costa Rica and Equador with tours through the Panama Canal and to the Galapgos Islands. We plan on coming back for a week here and there to check the property and meet OHIP req'ts. We figure that the first few yrs we'll rent then decide where to buy.
Hmm... sounds like you will have to park the Vette for quite some time.
Or get rid of it completely.
From what I have seen - you wouldn't want to drive one in the places you mention outside the US.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:09 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Hello its February!!!!!!Of course there is salt and crap on the roads.And that f40 was a kit car.No way anyone is sick enough to drive a $1 000 000 car in this weather.Impossible.Keep your vettes tucked away till april this is not sports car weather.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:25 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickshiftsteve
Hmm... sounds like you will have to park the Vette for quite some time.
Or get rid of it completely.
From what I have seen - you wouldn't want to drive one in the places you mention outside the US.
I agree, there is no way I'd take a Corvette down into Central/South America. Fly and rent when we want a car. I had thought about picking up a C7 but to have that as a dd while in Florida for a few months wouldn't be practical for us and our needs.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Patman
Race Director

If I can afford it then that is my plan as well, we really like it down there!
Florida is extremely affordable, that's why so many people spend their winters there. We were very shocked when we checked the real estate listings for down there, homes are a fraction of the price of Toronto homes. When it's time to retire you simply sell your Toronto home, move to a small town outside the city, and spend about 50% of what you sold your old home for. That leaves you with a sizable amount to purchase something in Florida. At least that's my plan on how we are going to easily afford it
Old 02-19-2015, 08:01 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by Patman
Florida is extremely affordable, that's why so many people spend their winters there. We were very shocked when we checked the real estate listings for down there, homes are a fraction of the price of Toronto homes. When it's time to retire you simply sell your Toronto home, move to a small town outside the city, and spend about 50% of what you sold your old home for. That leaves you with a sizable amount to purchase something in Florida. At least that's my plan on how we are going to easily afford it
your plan is sound, especially considering that I won't need to live in the "big city" once I stop working, in fact, I wouldn't mind removing myself from the traffic congestion and rat race
Old 03-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

The next 5-6 days are looking pretty good
Old 03-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Patman
Race Director

The next 5-6 days are looking pretty good

I'm not going to fool myself into thinking winter is completely done with us, as I am sure we'll see another snowstorm, perhaps even two. But at this point in time any snow we get will likely melt within a few days, as I do believe we are going to start seeing most of the days get above the freezing mark now. I also believe the extreme cold is done, it is extremely unlikely we'll see any temps approaching -20 and we might not even see it get into the negative double digits (-10 or lower) until the end of this year. Happy days indeed! Looking back on the past winter, it actually wasn't that bad, other than February being so cold and giving us that wicked 30cm dumping of snow.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:50 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

you're right, it was not that bad a winter save for the extreme cold temps, I see sunshine in the forecast
Old 03-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Patman
Race Director

I took my C6 out for a nice long spin this morning, it was the first drive since January 28th for me. The forecast looks good for tomorrow, I think I'll drive it to work! I think the driving season has now begun and it won't have to sit very long in the garage between outings anymore
Old 03-15-2015, 12:52 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

I was out this morning, washed it and look forward to some good drives this week
Old 03-15-2015, 12:52 PM
NoShade
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was out today too. Out to the car wash and good spin around the neighbourhood. Unfortunately I have to bring it in for service again. The top is having fits as it was last fall. I thought I had that gremlin squashed!!!
Old 03-22-2015, 02:03 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

the car is all shined up and had her out - unbelievable torque today and for some reason the tires were gripping too

Quick Reply: 9*C and no salt