Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Accounting Software, question......

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 01:57 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Default Accounting Software, question......

Hi CFCE.

This is more of an OT question but its country specific (US vs CDA).

I have an old Dell laptop and that is starting to have some issues. It works 90% of the time just fine, then BAM, out of nowhere it'll give me the blue screen of death. Hard reset it, and everything is fine again.

Onto the the question, I'm also in need of some new accounting software. I have a old (like 15 year old at least) version of Simply Accounting on the above laptop.

I think I'd like to upgrade to a Macbook Pro and a new version of some accounting software.

What accounting software programs are being utilized by any small business owners? Basic money in, money out, just debits and credits. No inventory, sales tracking, or point of sale interfaces. Payroll isn't really even required, but no biggie if its there, I don't use it now, haven't in 20 some-odd years. Single terminal use. Desktop use, no "cloud" for me.

Any Sage 50 users? Thoughts?, like and dislikes?
Intuit?
Quickbooks?

dodosmike
Old 01-15-2015, 02:57 PM
Caddyboy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodosmike
Hi CFCE.

This is more of an OT question but its country specific (US vs CDA).

I have an old Dell laptop and that is starting to have some issues. It works 90% of the time just fine, then BAM, out of nowhere it'll give me the blue screen of death. Hard reset it, and everything is fine again.

Onto the the question, I'm also in need of some new accounting software. I have a old (like 15 year old at least) version of Simply Accounting on the above laptop.

I think I'd like to upgrade to a Macbook Pro and a new version of some accounting software.

What accounting software programs are being utilized by any small business owners? Basic money in, money out, just debits and credits. No inventory, sales tracking, or point of sale interfaces. Payroll isn't really even required, but no biggie if its there, I don't use it now, haven't in 20 some-odd years. Single terminal use. Desktop use, no "cloud" for me.

Any Sage 50 users? Thoughts?, like and dislikes?
Intuit?
Quickbooks?

dodosmike
For simple stuff, wave accounting.

https://www.waveapps.com/pricing/

It's also free Mostly.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

All depends on how much you want to spend Mike.

If you are looking for a vanilla type accounting software, something easy to learn and to use for small business, then Quickbooks should be the #1 choice.

I think most accounting firms/bookkeepers recognize it as the leader in SOHO accounting packages and are well versed in it. Plus all the big banks and credit card companies offer direct downloads of statements into Quickbooks.

Plus, if you are looking to switch to a Mac, that eliminates Sage, unless you are running Windows on it via Parallels or BootCamp.

Other Accounting Packages available for Mac are:
Billings Pro (more for invoicing and expense tracking)
AccountEdge Pro
MoneyWorks Gold.

I don't believe the above have Canadian versions though.

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 01-15-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:42 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Quickbooks is not bad and stand alone, MYOB if you ever decide to use cloud based. For me I find it just as easy to setup my own spreadsheets.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:58 PM
Slacks
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 75 Posts

I use Quickbooks and it works out just fine, I do my own Corporate Income Tax and Quickbooks has everything you need. I bought mine a few years ago and it only cost $100.00 I believe.

Bruce
Old 01-15-2015, 09:36 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Quickbooks does not have a Canadian edition for Mac.

In order to use Quickbooks on a Mac you have to install Windows using bootcamp, parallels or vmware.

I used it for a while with vmware, but didn't like it. Quickbooks works a lot better on a Windows PC, at least for me.

There is a US version of Quickbooks for Mac that can be used, but it's tricky to use it since it is very different than the Canadian version.

I recently spoke to tech support at Intuit...they have no immediate plans for a Canadian version of Quickbooks for Macs.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:42 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by hzz
Quickbooks does not have a Canadian edition for Mac.

In order to use Quickbooks on a Mac you have to install Windows using bootcamp, parallels or vmware.

I used it for a while with vmware, but didn't like it. Quickbooks works a lot better on a Windows PC, at least for me.

There is a US version of Quickbooks for Mac that can be used, but it's tricky to use it since it is very different than the Canadian version.

I recently spoke to tech support at Intuit...they have no immediate plans for a Canadian version of Quickbooks for Macs.
Yeah. Spoke to QB tech today, no desktop version for macs. Cloud yes, desktop no.

I guess I'll have a look around for a PC. I'm NOT using a cloud for accounting software.

Thanks for the input everybody.

Dodosmike
Old 01-16-2015, 03:21 PM
stclarke
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Mike

+1 for Quickbooks. I was using QB Pro 2006 on my XP laptop for many years, but that didn't work on my new Windows7 machine, so I updated to QB 2014. Staples had a great deal on it a couple of weeks ago.. it may come back on sale again. It should do everything you describe as I use it in a similar manner.

Bruce, I may have to talk to you about T2's etc.. I still 'outsource' that part to an accountant.

-Stephen

Get notified of new replies

To Accounting Software, question......

Quick Reply: Accounting Software, question......