Canadian Events Canada, eh?

So Ive recently moved to Edmonton, how do I get my vette here later this year?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 08:36 PM
PhiL02Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Ive recently moved to Edmonton, how do I get my vette here later this year?

So I had to leave my car behind in Ontario. Now the plates (quebec) are not valid anymore due to my address change. My question is. Can I have the local garage near my parents place where the car is, do a Ontario saftey inspection and be able to get Alberta plates and bring them with me on a flight back home and drive the car out here? Or am I stuck having to trailer it or train transport it. I guess it all depends if Alberta accepts another provinces saftey inspection for out of province car.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:59 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PhiL02Z06
So I had to leave my car behind in Ontario. Now the plates (quebec) are not valid anymore due to my address change. My question is. Can I have the local garage near my parents place where the car is, do a Ontario saftey inspection and be able to get Alberta plates and bring them with me on a flight back home and drive the car out here? Or am I stuck having to trailer it or train transport it. I guess it all depends if Alberta accepts another provinces saftey inspection for out of province car.
I think you need a transit sticker. Contact a Registries office.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:04 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by nuck
I think you need a transit sticker. Contact a Registries office.
I am pretty sure a safety is a safety is a safety, however, like Ontario, you can get a trip permit from Alberta to drive your vehicle back without the safety. If not, I am pretty sure you can in Ontario...even as an out of province person as long as you can prove it is insured... ooops wait... PQ ownership right?
Old 02-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Brian1395
Navigator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiL02Z06
I have moved several cars from Ontario to Alberta. Alberta will not accept an Ontario Safety inspection it has to be an Alberta inspection. My suggestion is that if you trust the Ontario mechanic get them to do an inspection and correct any problems before going to an Alberta mechanic you do not know. When you go to the Registry Office in Alberta ( which are privately owned) you will have to prove you have Alberta vehicle insurance. You should be aware that even though you have insurance on the car in Quebec or Ontario they may not be licenced to offer insurance in Alberta. My suggestion is you renew the plates in Quebec/Ontario and drive the car out. If you ship the car out and have no valid plates how will you drive it around. The cost to ship a vehicle is around $ 1,300 (friend investigated shipping a regular car and choose to drive in October). Great trip through the North US if you have a week or so. Done it a dozen times

It is an easy process to transfer the car it just takes a bit of time and you need the vehicle in Alberta so they can see it if they want.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:18 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brian1395
I have moved several cars from Ontario to Alberta. Alberta will not accept an Ontario Safety inspection it has to be an Alberta inspection. My suggestion is that if you trust the Ontario mechanic get them to do an inspection and correct any problems before going to an Alberta mechanic you do not know. When you go to the Registry Office in Alberta ( which are privately owned) you will have to prove you have Alberta vehicle insurance. You should be aware that even though you have insurance on the car in Quebec or Ontario they may not be licenced to offer insurance in Alberta. My suggestion is you renew the plates in Quebec/Ontario and drive the car out. If you ship the car out and have no valid plates how will you drive it around. The cost to ship a vehicle is around $ 1,300 (friend investigated shipping a regular car and choose to drive in October). Great trip through the North US if you have a week or so. Done it a dozen times

It is an easy process to transfer the car it just takes a bit of time and you need the vehicle in Alberta so they can see it if they want.
This would be easiest ^ plus you would get most of the money back for the plates when you cancel them (at least you do here). Buys you time to shop around for insurance in Alberta. The safety is nothing if you have tread on your tires and functional brakes. It is to weed out the beaters.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:16 AM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Simplest and likely cheapest way is to ship it to Alberta to a trusted garage,get it inspected,insured and registered once.All other scenarios involve paying for inspections,insurance,registration in either Quebec or Ontario,repeating the process in Alberta and then cancelling everything else and paying the resulting cancellation fees.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:30 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

simply activate your quebec plate and insurance ,drive to alberta have an inspection done then cancel quebec plate and insurance and plate it in alberta.The plate cancelation in quebec will cost you about $40 or one months worth and the insurance will be peanuts to activate and then cancel Far less money than $1300 for shipping.If the same insurance company insures you in both places they might not even charge you as it is only a transfer of locations.Those who dont know should refrain from saying anything because all they do is mix you up with their ten different stories.This is not a guessing game the man is asking a valid question and wants the correct answer to his question.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:33 AM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Alberta registries, transit permit. Think they are 12bux.... just have it insured and drive it home
Old 02-02-2015, 12:01 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
simply activate your quebec plate and insurance ,drive to alberta have an inspection done then cancel quebec plate and insurance and plate it in alberta.The plate cancelation in quebec will cost you about $40 or one months worth and the insurance will be peanuts to activate and then cancel Far less money than $1300 for shipping.If the same insurance company insures you in both places they might not even charge you as it is only a transfer of locations.Those who dont know should refrain from saying anything because all they do is mix you up with their ten different stories.This is not a guessing game the man is asking a valid question and wants the correct answer to his question.
You are assuming the OP still has a valid PQ driver's licence and address,I believe that is the issue and and why he is asking for advice.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:29 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Default I m assuming nothing.

Originally Posted by tfi racing
You are assuming the OP still has a valid PQ driver's licence and address,I believe that is the issue and and why he is asking for advice.
If his car has quebec plates ,which it does he needs to do what i said in my post above.I been doing this buisness for thirty years so please.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:23 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

If you can't renew the plate then just insure it and drive it. If you do get caught then pay the approximately $100 fine for expired tags and keep going. If you talk nicely to the officer he might just let you go. If you don't do anything stupid to draw attention to your car it's very unlikely an officer will notice the expired sticker.

I expect if you just take the renewal form into the license office they will renew the sticker even if your official address has changed.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 02-04-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:11 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On a lighter note.....I'll drive it to you; we can work out the details later.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:17 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kidneyboy
On a lighter note.....I'll drive it to you; we can work out the details later.

Now there's a true friend indeed!

Get notified of new replies

To So Ive recently moved to Edmonton, how do I get my vette here later this year?

Quick Reply: So Ive recently moved to Edmonton, how do I get my vette here later this year?