Canadian Events Canada, eh?

any ideas or suggestions for making a cross country purchase?

Old 03-03-2015, 09:36 AM
stormin1976
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any ideas or suggestions for making a cross country purchase?

Hey everybody
I'm in Toronto and have found a z06 in Kelowna B.C. that i'm interested in purchasing.
It's at a dealer... not a gm dealer.. but... a car dealer that deals in higher end vehicles... vettes.. porsches...Mercedes etc...
I don't have the biggest trust for any kind of dealer for various reasons..and just wondering if anybody had any ideas of how I might go further with the interest of this purchase?
Maybe a broker or someone who would like to broker the car for me if they're in the Kelowna area??

thank you all

NB
Old 03-03-2015, 11:20 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

There are a few Candian guys on the Forums that might jump in if they are close. Let me be all to honest with your situation though; you need to ensure this is a Canadian allocation (if that's what you want) and you need to ask yourself why this guy (not a GM dealer) might have this car already as there were so few, we are so early into the delivery stage for Canada, and why he would be interested in selling to you when he can find countless buyers close to home.

I am not trying to dampen your spirits and hope everything you have learned is on the up and up...but there have been countless accounts of bad business practices with respect to this vehicle in Canada...as a result of their only being a TOTAL of 28-42 being imported by GM as Canadian Spec Z06s...the rest are US versions which you can get in Toronto if you want.

As for shipping...ask the seller as he is making a mint of your purchase; many sellers in Canada will even include shipping.

Gotta ask...how much!

Next step...get the VIN and any paperwork to confirm it is Canadian. If he is an hoest dealer, he should have no problem sending you all the paperwork he might have, including the original GM Workbench or build sheet.

Last edited by AllFlash; 03-03-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:56 PM
stormin1976
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AllFlash
There are a few Candian guys on the Forums that might jump in if they are close. Let me be all to honest with your situation though; you need to ensure this is a Canadian allocation (if that's what you want) and you need to ask yourself why this guy (not a GM dealer) might have this car already as there were so few, we are so early into the delivery stage for Canada, and why he would be interested in selling to you when he can find countless buyers close to home.

I am not trying to dampen your spirits and hope everything you have learned is on the up and up...but there have been countless accounts of bad business practices with respect to this vehicle in Canada...as a result of their only being a TOTAL of 28-42 being imported by GM as Canadian Spec Z06s...the rest are US versions which you can get in Toronto if you want.

As for shipping...ask the seller as he is making a mint of your purchase; many sellers in Canada will even include shipping.

Gotta ask...how much!

Next step...get the VIN and any paperwork to confirm it is Canadian. If he is an hoest dealer, he should have no problem sending you all the paperwork he might have, including the original GM Workbench or build sheet.

Thank you for your reply your thoughts and information and yes.. all of that has been considered.
A price is something we haven't negotiated yet. We are not at that point. I am at the point where I am checking out the vehicle. I have the vin.. which I had a friend at gm check and I have the paperwork on the car's history and all of it goes with what the dealer had told me.
It is definitely a Canadian car...and the original owner apparently had traded it on a more vintage mid 60's corvette.
the past registration and renewal coincides with what the dealer has told me about the past owner.

I know it's winter here and there will be more z06's for sale in my area when the weather gets better in a couple of months.
I'm not 100 percent decided on this car... as I am going to see one about 4 hours from here this coming weekend.. and I have one other in mind.
so for now.... i'd like to see if someone can help or come up with an idea of how to complete this purchase and sale and delivery.. and inspection...in case we keep going further and I decide this car is one I will purchase.
And , you are correct, as you said, the seller did somewhat offer to include or work in the deal , the cost of shipping.

so i'm doing my homework.
I'm in no rush.
buyers should never be in a rush.. right?
I'm patient enough to know that at some point, the right vehicle will find it's way into my garage.

NB
Old 03-03-2015, 02:25 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

I may have misconstrued...what year is the Z06?
Old 03-03-2015, 03:28 PM
stormin1976
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AllFlash
I may have misconstrued...what year is the Z06?
it's an '09
Old 03-03-2015, 07:22 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

There is nice red convertible at the chev dealer in sturgeon falls ontario.
Bright red, black roof. 2009 I think.

I haven't looked close at it.

Dodosmike

EDIT

http://www.tremblaychev.com/VehicleD...-ON/2387386963

It's a '13. $47k

Last edited by Dodosmike; 03-03-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:06 PM
stormin1976
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dodosmike
There is nice red convertible at the chev dealer in sturgeon falls ontario.
Bright red, black roof. 2009 I think.

I haven't looked close at it.

Dodosmike

EDIT

http://www.tremblaychev.com/VehicleD...-ON/2387386963

It's a '13. $47k
Thank you for the info on the red vert, but.. I am looking for a zo6.. and i'm not a fan of red . But thank you anyways.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:21 AM
nuck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stormin1976
Hey everybody
I'm in Toronto and have found a z06 in Kelowna B.C. that i'm interested in purchasing.
It's at a dealer... not a gm dealer.. but... a car dealer that deals in higher end vehicles... vettes.. porsches...Mercedes etc...
I don't have the biggest trust for any kind of dealer for various reasons..and just wondering if anybody had any ideas of how I might go further with the interest of this purchase?
Maybe a broker or someone who would like to broker the car for me if they're in the Kelowna area??

thank you all

NB
I bought my first Vette in 2004 from a Lincoln dealer in Oakville and shipped it to Edmonton by Searail which added another $1500 to the cost, but still thousands better than my local options.

A dealer, whether Chev or otherwise, is only responsible for known issues to a used car, but having said that, any reputable dealer is highly unlikely to try to pass off an issue. In my case, I had a local GTA Z06 owner, the late Bill Smook, test drive it for me. As a Z owner himself he was able to know if there were any driving differences between my car and his own. As the 03 had only 10k miles on it and was still on warranty I bought it with no further inspection.

I bought a Viper a few years ago from LA and I had the owner drop it at a Dodge dealer for a quick inspection ($150) and that was it. I bought a 96 Vette in 05 with 20k miles from Texas and paid several hundred for a professional inspection, and that car chucked a tranny after 2 months so there is an element of risk to buying any used unit, as my inspector was more thorough than any used car sales manager.

You might see if a Kelowna area member is willing to go check it out (its 10-15 above there this week) and if it looks clean then decide if you need to get it inspected at a shop because of the distance.

Personally I would just wait for your local owners to put their cars out. BC vehicles are nice but the best selection and prices in the Country are in Ontario. Unless you are planning to build a holiday around bringing the car back, it isn't worth the additional cost of shipping. I bought my 07 in Alberta last year, but there were at least three for sale in southern Ontario for slightly better prices at the same time. Since most of these cars have next to no miles on them there isn't much difficulty finding one in clean condition, and there aren't any rare options except maybe Ron Fellows. I suspect the car you want is within a couple hours drive. Good hunting.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:53 PM
stormin1976
Intermediate

Hi Nuck
Thanks for the reply and the info. I do agree with you...I think in the spring, many more in my own area will be for sale. I've always believe too that if you find something you like , you act on it while it's available. On the other hand... I'm not going to waste too much time and money over something that's too difficult to get.
With that said... I'm going to look at one in Windsor this weekend. Not just going for the car though.. I'm heading to the Detroit Autorama... oh.. and some hockey. The luck of having to see the corvette is just a bonus.

thank you again .
take care
NB
Old 03-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Voodoo13
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look up a member called 'grantv'
I believe he lives in Kelowna
Old 03-06-2015, 01:48 AM
nascar03
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stormin1976...
You might try contacting the local Kelowna Corvette Club to see if a member could have a look at the car. There are some knowledgeable people in that club. Then maybe they can advise you of a place to have the car inspected.
The local car dealers can advise you of reputable X-Canada shipping companies.
Good luck.
Graham
Old 03-06-2015, 04:29 PM
stormin1976
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nascar03
Stormin1976...
You might try contacting the local Kelowna Corvette Club to see if a member could have a look at the car. There are some knowledgeable people in that club. Then maybe they can advise you of a place to have the car inspected.
The local car dealers can advise you of reputable X-Canada shipping companies.
Good luck.
Graham
Hi Graham
Thank you for the great advice... I DID contact the corvette club and a member phoned me earlier today.. we had a great talk, and made a good connection and shared some great ideas and advice.

Thank you again
take care
Norm
Old 03-06-2015, 04:44 PM
nascar03
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Norm...
They're good people.
They will help you out.
good luck.

graham
Old 03-08-2015, 08:47 PM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Road trip!

You fly in, give them the money, and drive back east.

+1 on using Searail before.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:53 PM
stormin1976
Intermediate

Hi Marc
thanks for the input.. I thought of doing a roadtrip.. wow.. drive it back from bc? whew! I dunno.

but.. the good news... I did look at another 09 z06 in Windsor yesterday on my way back from Detroit.

I'm in the midst of getting it checked out.. and if it's good.. which I assume it will be... we'll work on a deal.

Thank you all for your help and advice.
this forum is GREAT!

take care guys
Norm
Old 03-10-2015, 05:14 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtl-Marc
Road trip!

You fly in, give them the money, and drive back east.
How does that work with regards to the licencing in Ontario though? Can a dealer out west do the necessary registration with the MTO here in Ontario so that a buyer could just simply drive away like you can do at dealers here?
Old 03-11-2015, 09:02 AM
stormin1976
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Patman
How does that work with regards to the licencing in Ontario though? Can a dealer out west do the necessary registration with the MTO here in Ontario so that a buyer could just simply drive away like you can do at dealers here?
Although I've heard different answers and not 100 percent sure.. what I've heard most that makes sense.. is.. you purchase the car in b.c... and pay their taxes.. the vehicle is put into your name.. you drive it back... and then just go to the mto office in Ontario when you're here and pay the small fee of changing the ownership to an Ontario ownership.
unless somebody can advise otherwise.... does that sound about right?

NB

Get notified of new replies

To any ideas or suggestions for making a cross country purchase?

Old 03-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by stormin1976
Although I've heard different answers and not 100 percent sure.. what I've heard most that makes sense.. is.. you purchase the car in b.c... and pay their taxes.. the vehicle is put into your name.. you drive it back... and then just go to the mto office in Ontario when you're here and pay the small fee of changing the ownership to an Ontario ownership.
unless somebody can advise otherwise.... does that sound about right?

NB
Im no help. In reference to the taxes, is the BC tax 13%? If its not then more taxes would/could be payable upon Ontario registration.

What about a temp transport permit? I don't know how long they're valid, something tells me a week (7days). Would a BC temp permit get you back to Ontario?

Insurance is another matter. Check with your insurer about driving a car with a temp tag on it. Some insurers will allow it, some will not. I tried to buy a boat in Tennessee once. My insurer wouldn't cover it until it was in Ontario and registered.

dodosmike
Old 03-11-2015, 11:28 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dodosmike
Im no help. In reference to the taxes, is the BC tax 13%? If its not then more taxes would/could be payable upon Ontario registration.

What about a temp transport permit? I don't know how long they're valid, something tells me a week (7days). Would a BC temp permit get you back to Ontario?

Insurance is another matter. Check with your insurer about driving a car with a temp tag on it. Some insurers will allow it, some will not. I tried to buy a boat in Tennessee once. My insurer wouldn't cover it until it was in Ontario and registered.

dodosmike
Wife works for State Farm and says you can get insurance and a temp to drive back. You may or may not have to pay prov taxes though. In my case, I am picking up my Z in Quebec and the dealer issues the temp himself. I show him my ins slip which is also a temporary. They are not charging me their taxes and I pay when I register in Ontario.

Check the Internet for BC permits should help.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:33 AM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you decide to buy out west - keep in mind the cost to ship it back to Toronto.
We just sent a car by enclosed transport from Toronto to Vancouver in January & that cost roughly $2,400.
Not sure a road trip this month would be much fun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: any ideas or suggestions for making a cross country purchase?