Canadian Events Canada, eh?

window tinting

Old 03-10-2015, 09:47 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

Default window tinting

i found this interesting, i always thought it was 35%. even though i have them at 20%. but i am doing my dd and was checking it out.

"Window tinting is addressed in sections 73 and 74 of the (Highway Traffic Act) whereby the surface of the windshield or any side window to the left or right of the driver cannot be coated with any colour spray or other colour coating in such a manner as to obstruct the driver's view of the roadway, or obscure the view from outside to the interior of the motor vehicle," says Ministry of Transportation spokesman Bob Nichols in an email.

Translation: you have to be able to see outside, and other people, especially police, have to be able to see you.

Ontario's law doesn't specify a percentage of tint - it's up to police to decide whether your windows are too dark.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:48 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 659 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyejack
i found this interesting, i always thought it was 35%. even though i have them at 20%. but i am doing my dd and was checking it out.

"Window tinting is addressed in sections 73 and 74 of the (Highway Traffic Act) whereby the surface of the windshield or any side window to the left or right of the driver cannot be coated with any colour spray or other colour coating in such a manner as to obstruct the driver's view of the roadway, or obscure the view from outside to the interior of the motor vehicle," says Ministry of Transportation spokesman Bob Nichols in an email.

Translation: you have to be able to see outside, and other people, especially police, have to be able to see you.

Ontario's law doesn't specify a percentage of tint - it's up to police to decide whether your windows are too dark.
Correct - if the Officer can't see you he or she may be annoyed enough to stop and ticket you...
Old 03-11-2015, 07:31 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by walleyejack
in our area they only ticket you if you are driving a car like a Corvette - I see all kinds of cars with extremely dark tint and nobody gets ticketed - but good luck if you have a Corvette, I wouldn't make it a day without getting stopped
Old 03-11-2015, 08:06 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
in our area they only ticket you if you are driving a car like a Corvette - I see all kinds of cars with extremely dark tint and nobody gets ticketed - but good luck if you have a Corvette, I wouldn't make it a day without getting stopped
Old 03-12-2015, 02:19 AM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Gotta love it,a law that is so vague it can be easily interpreted several different ways,all of them in favour of the law enforcement official and against the motorist.What could possibly go wrong...
Old 03-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Was going to work at 6 am on a Sunday morning years ago driving my 1984 black VW GTI.Only other car ,going the opposite direction,was a Peel Regional car.She did a 180 and followed me to work .She wrote me up because she couldn't see who was driving the car.I had the minimum legal tint according to the installer.Took it to the old POINTS people, they said just pay the bill.Her word against yours.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:06 PM
FFIN90
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================ From Toronto ================ 9/11/01 FDNY 343 R.I.P.
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'13-'14

Whether you agree or disagree with the law at least the device in this article would take the personal descretion away from the officers.
TINT TESTER Article
Old 03-16-2015, 02:02 AM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I would never tint my windows,I want people to see me,lol,
Old 03-16-2015, 06:46 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by NOCRISIS
I would never tint my windows,I want people to see me,lol,
I mean what's the point of being a white middle class guy in a car if you can't take advantage of the positive racial profiling?
(I jest, though it's sadly true)

Get notified of new replies

To window tinting

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: window tinting