Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Toronto Motorama This Weekend - Interesting Seminar Saturday: ‘Legal Pit Stop’

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:25 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Default Toronto Motorama This Weekend - Interesting Seminar Saturday: ‘Legal Pit Stop’

Who all's going?

This looks like an interesting seminar on Saturday:
http://www.motoramashow.com/legal-pit-stop/

AUTO ENTHUSIAST / LAWYER JONATHAN HENDRICKS TO OFFER ‘LEGAL PIT STOP’ PRESENTATION AT MOTORAMA

March 9, 2015

If you have been involved with the car hobby over the last few years, you’re aware that there are forces working against enthusiasts.

Even though – in most instances – antique, classic and custom cars are driven a minimum number of kilometers each season and are ultra-safe given that the braking systems and suspensions have been upgraded to today’s standards, many insurers are still refusing to insure them for regular driving.

“It’s been modified,” is the usual answer, sending enthusiasts to the specialty insurers. And while these groups offer attractive rates, they are often restrictive in terms of where and when you can drive your vehicle. Additionally, both the MTO and the MOE have regulations that are confusing and/or unfair.

On Saturday, March 14 at Toronto’s Motorama Custom Car & Motorsports Expo, Performance Improvements will present a seminar by Jonathan Hendricks. Entitled, ‘Legal Pit Stop,’ the seminar will offer valuable advice about what your options are in the event that you get into trouble while driving your vehicle. Motorama takes place March 13, 14 & 15 at Toronto’s International Centre.

In addition to being a lawyer, Hendricks is also an avid, long-time car enthusiast. His father, a policeman, was the proud owner of a ‘70s Corvette, and Jonathan used to go with him whenever he was buying parts at Performance Improvements.

After high school, Jonathan went to the University of Toronto for his undergraduate degree. He then studied at the University of Windsor law school. It was in Windsor that his passion for Transportation, Criminal and Administrative Law grew. He graduated in 2012 and was called to the Law Society of Upper Canada after articling with the Ministry of the Attorney General. Jonathan has retained his interest in cars and has become very familiar with the problems that modified car owners, tuner and truck enthusiasts face. He plans to specialize in this field, catering to customers in the Greater Toronto Area, from his office in downtown Toronto.

During his presentation at Motorama, which takes place on Saturday, March 14 from 2:00 – 3:15 p.m. in Seminar Room #104, Hendricks will present a seminar on the problems facing car enthusiasts and will offer insights on pending laws that could be in the works. He’ll also make suggestions on the proper ways to handle interactions with the authorities.

Other expected topics and issues include:

– If I modify my vehicle without reporting the modification to my insurer, what are the potential consequences?

– Do current environmental and emissions laws apply to older hot rod vehicles?

– If I am stopped and asked to blow in a breathalyzer, what should I do?

– Is there a way to avoid liability if my hot rod is involved in an accident and I am sued?

– … and other questions from those in attendance.

To contact Jonathan Hendricks, phone: (647) 894 0595 or email: hendricksj@bell.net.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:23 AM
08C6
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Very very interesting !! I cannot make show this year ... would like to hear more information on this...
Old 03-13-2015, 02:33 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by 08C6
Very very interesting !! I cannot make show this year ... would like to hear more information on this...
Tx Paul - this would be very interesting for sure - wish I could go...

If anyone went and took notes for posting here that would be great.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:16 PM
WATTACAR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Big let down..

Show is half the size of last year.. Very few good vendors..
Wish I had my $20 back. Too bad too. Hopefully the seminars make it worth it..
Old 03-13-2015, 05:15 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

interesting, thanks Paul it's good to hear that there is at least 1 sane lawyer out there, most politicians are lawyers so at least they should respect his views on antique cars
Old 03-13-2015, 05:55 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the show feedback Jamie. I don't mind if it's smaller though. More time to focus on the details of what others are doing. There have never been more options available and it's always interesting even with just a handful of cars seeing what/why/how certain choices are made and executed.

Also - I'm going tomorrow primarily for this seminar. So many questions and varied interpretations of the law that could be very useful to know in advance. I've been extremely fortunate in past encounters but advance knowledge is as important as luck, maybe even more!

I'll report back to this thread on the discussions there.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:29 PM
formula1nut
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Default A pleasant Surprise

I attended the show today and was VERY impressed. I didn't go to see vendors but rather cars and there were lots of really nice machines. Of note was a very nice 1961 Vette and the Durham Club's display of, I think, 5 cars. Also a Vette powered Miata was there that has to be seen to be believed. The owner was a great guy also. Lots of GTOs Mustangs Camaro and real out there customs. I thought I would be there for an hour and left after 4.

What was really neat was to see bus loads of students (high school) that were genuinely interested in the cars.

If I had to choose between the Feb Auto Show, which I have never missed, and this one I would take this one.

(I am not in any way connected to the show.)
Old 03-13-2015, 08:48 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by formula1nut
I attended the show today and was VERY impressed. I didn't go to see vendors but rather cars and there were lots of really nice machines. Of note was a very nice 1961 Vette and the Durham Club's display of, I think, 5 cars. Also a Vette powered Miata was there that has to be seen to be believed. The owner was a great guy also. Lots of GTOs Mustangs Camaro and real out there customs. I thought I would be there for an hour and left after 4.

What was really neat was to see bus loads of students (high school) that were genuinely interested in the cars.

If I had to choose between the Feb Auto Show, which I have never missed, and this one I would take this one.

(I am not in any way connected to the show.)
Old 03-14-2015, 03:22 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I also went on Friday - & had a very good time.
Several cars are first time being shown - & the owners were eager to tell their stories.
Plus - there's nothing like going to a car show - to beat the winter blahs.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:55 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

Worst custom show ever! Stay home- it's a waste of $20
Old 03-15-2015, 09:33 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Did this Motorama show take over the spot of Megaspeed from last year?

Megaspeed last last year was pretty good. From what I hear this year was a waste of time.

Dodosmike
Old 03-15-2015, 09:33 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Was actually quite a good show for Jennie and I. High quality and variety of displays, lots of good vendors, great attitude by exhibitors. Made for a good time and a much longer time there than we'd expected. (Arrived at 1, left at 7:30!)

As for the two afternoon seminars, they were also extended length, well-attended and very useful dialogs. The first seminar was by Jonathan Hendricks who discussed legal challenges common to enthusiast drivers and owners of modified vehicles, covering everything from insurance coverage denials to emissions and other laws in Ontario. The second seminar was on trailering laws, delivered by Durham Regional PC Cory Adams, which was also very interesting, informative and engaging.

Adams introduced himself describing his "job is to write tickets." On the other hand, he is taking it upon himself to improve awareness and education, so in 2005 Constable Adams created Team COPS (Canadian Officers Promoting Safety) and has first-hand knowledge of the number and severity of collisions involving motorcycles and other vehicles. I think this is a genuine good guy. He had great information on changing CVOR licensing requirements for drivers plus trailers and their tow vehicles. If you haul stuff - anything - you do NOT want to find out you are overweight or under-licensed on the side of the road!

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, it's clear that enforcement is big business here in Ontario (hell, everywhere) and you have to see it as such. We need to keep our emotions in check, forget about what or who is "in the right," imagined virtues of judiciary fairness and even if our "little infractions" should matter when there are monsters getting away with horrific deeds. Primarily, it's a business that runs off money taken from motorists, plain and simple - you need to remember that.

That's not to say there we shouldn't be concerned with valid points on public safety and clean air, it's just that we need to understand the laws out there. Willful blindness (sometimes called ignorance of law) or venting disgust won't do anything to improve your circumstances.

Another common thread in both seminars are the substantial benefits to you of maintaining composure, preparedness, and a cooperative attitude. When we're out on that perfect drive in our perfect rides, we are living our lives at the heights of enjoyment. Nobody likes to have that interrupted by an experience at the complete opposite of that spectrum. It can be effin' expensive too!

I have notes from both seminars too lengthy to go into detail here but will try to respond to any specific questions in this thread with links and comments. I'm also tempted to host Jonathan one night or perhaps a Saturday morning at my training room to provide a Q&A session with the CFCE group. He's a very bright, experienced and progressive minded young lawyer developing a specialty in enthusiast driver law from a perspective of knowledge and his own avid automotive passions. He's already done sold out seminars at Performance Improvements and may do more there in the future.

You can also PM me for Jonathan's details. I have a bunch of his biz cards and will be handing them out at to anyone who wants one at our next GTG. He jokingly calls them his "stay out of jail" cards and I do suggest anyone who is driving/insuring an easily noticed performance car should have his info if not on speed dial, at least in your glove box!

Last edited by PaulUptime; 03-15-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:24 AM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

great info Paul!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Toronto Motorama This Weekend - Interesting Seminar Saturday: ‘Legal Pit Stop’

Quick Reply: Toronto Motorama This Weekend - Interesting Seminar Saturday: ‘Legal Pit Stop’