Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Who's already on the road ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 09:12 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Mines still in storage as I can't get it out due to location.

But I'd be driving it otherwise. I don't get the salt thing. The roads are dry, right? Is everyone talking about salt "dust" on the roads? I highly doubt that dried residue would be of any consequence...
Old 03-28-2015, 09:31 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Brought it home last week from the neighbours.Would like to get it out on Sunday (tomorrow) weather permitting.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:31 PM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGGDOLL
Mines still in storage as I can't get it out due to location.

But I'd be driving it otherwise. I don't get the salt thing. The roads are dry, right? Is everyone talking about salt "dust" on the roads? I highly doubt that dried residue would be of any consequence...
the dust will collect in all those places you can't get to to clean, then won't go away and won't wash out however if water from driving in the rain or trying to wash the car will get that salt eating your car process started...

Although now with you having a Z06 like me with the ZR1 has an aluminum chassis and only some bolts will really be susceptible
Old 03-28-2015, 10:00 PM
starsandstripes
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just changed my plugs today. Changing the oil this week and hopefully be out by next weekend
Old 03-29-2015, 08:16 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Was out yesterday - Loews, Beer Store, my Mom's place...
Old 03-29-2015, 10:45 AM
04silverZ06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

City just spread some fresh salt here in Waterloo on Thursday.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:10 AM
-=ICE=-
Pro

with the extreme cold sneaking in, think they are doing that for the just incase it rains and everyone becomes just like "bambi on ice"
Old 03-29-2015, 11:59 AM
DDP
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts

Man that felt good, she is out of storage and just finished up a 1 hour drive with my youngest son. Started up as normal and drove perfectly. There may be another blast later if time permits. 😄
Old 03-29-2015, 01:23 PM
cdngolfer
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been out a few times

I am going out today too!
Old 03-29-2015, 02:08 PM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default No salt...just gravel

I picked mine up on Friday. Just finished installing new side skirting an hour ago. Edmonton uses pebble rock instead of salt. I can't wait for the sweepers to come out so I can drive daily. I will probably take the beast out on a couple of highway runs while I wait for the roads to clean up.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:13 PM
cdngolfer
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyMountain Z
I picked mine up on Friday. Just finished installing new side skirting an hour ago. Edmonton uses pebble rock instead of salt. I can't wait for the sweepers to come out so I can drive daily. I will probably take the beast out on a couple of highway runs while I wait for the roads to clean up.
Put some tape or some other protection on the vertical parts of the skirt at the rear wheel. They will chip. I use red electrical tape on my red Z. It matches perfectly. Just change it out once or twice a year.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:56 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I am thankful that I can drive my car and just enjoy it and not have to worry about these minor things
Old 03-29-2015, 04:39 PM
NoShade
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mine out since mid March. Went for a drive last weekend and today. Didn't see any other vettes out there but got quite a few as I drove by. Can't wait for the "top down" weather to start
Old 03-29-2015, 04:48 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by -=ICE=-
the dust will collect in all those places you can't get to to clean, then won't go away and won't wash out however if water from driving in the rain or trying to wash the car will get that salt eating your car process started...

Although now with you having a Z06 like me with the ZR1 has an aluminum chassis and only some bolts will really be susceptible
Im a picky guy, and that salt dust just doesn't bother me. I'd maintain that any long term issue would be very, very minimal, if any at all.

Driving through wet, salty roads is one thing, that I would not do with my Z.

Having said that, look at all the high end BMW/Mercedes etc etc being driven all year round. Those cars also have aluminum and exotic metal components. Granted, they aren't nice summer cars like ours....but if they can handle that abuse, mine can take a little salty road dust
Old 03-29-2015, 06:01 PM
formula1nut
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGGDOLL
Im a picky guy, and that salt dust just doesn't bother me. I'd maintain that any long term issue would be very, very minimal, if any at all.

Driving through wet, salty roads is one thing, that I would not do with my Z.

Having said that, look at all the high end BMW/Mercedes etc etc being driven all year round. Those cars also have aluminum and exotic metal components. Granted, they aren't nice summer cars like ours....but if they can handle that abuse, mine can take a little salty road dust
The reason you see the high end exotics driven in the winter salt is that they are leased and the driver does not care about longevity.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:32 PM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by formula1nut
The reason you see the high end exotics driven in the winter salt is that they are leased and the driver does not care about longevity.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:57 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

drive it like you stole it! you are only saving it for someone else.

Get notified of new replies

To Who's already on the road ?

Old 03-30-2015, 08:49 AM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Originally Posted by walleyejack
drive it like you stole it! you are only saving it for someone else.
.. well that's why I take mine to the track, the guy that paid 140k for mine and only put 1,900km ... Thanks buddy !

Anyone do anything for changes over the winter?

For me not much I considered, I gave my nav deck to my dad (Pioneer Z150) as he wanted one for his truck so my dash has been apart for a month or two now. On friday I saw the Pioneer App radio go on sale at Future shop and low stock so used the online feature to have it ready at the counter and went and picked it up. And next day Future shop closed forever .. Funny cause I haven't seen them knock $100 off a Pioneer deck before ..

Just need to install the deck and change the battery on my car to be on the road, lots of rain this week so looks like I need to get on it
Old 03-30-2015, 09:01 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by -=ICE=-
.. well that's why I take mine to the track, the guy that paid 140k for mine and only put 1,900km ... Thanks buddy !

Anyone do anything for changes over the winter?

For me not much I considered, I gave my nav deck to my dad (Pioneer Z150) as he wanted one for his truck so my dash has been apart for a month or two now. On friday I saw the Pioneer App radio go on sale at Future shop and low stock so used the online feature to have it ready at the counter and went and picked it up. And next day Future shop closed forever .. Funny cause I haven't seen them knock $100 off a Pioneer deck before ..

Just need to install the deck and change the battery on my car to be on the road, lots of rain this week so looks like I need to get on it
Old 03-30-2015, 06:36 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

ICE,
Been following all the driving excitement on the C7 Z06 site and it's driving me nuts...all we can do is look at the cars under cover.

If interested, let me know when you're going to the track, drag or road race...need a 'fix'.

Will likely do some Friday night time trials at TMP or St. Thomas, and want to go to Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.

Quick Reply: Who's already on the road ?