Canadian Events Canada, eh?

URGENT:Ontario Ministry of the AG considering online alternative for traffic offenses

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 07:59 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Default Ontario Ministry of the AG considering online alternative for traffic offenses

Wondering if anyone in Ontario is aware that the Ministry is considering an online system to pay or challenge traffic tickets and other Provincial Offences Act (POA) charges.

According to this <link> the consultation end date is this Tuesday April 28, 2015.

The link provides a chart showing how an online process would differ from the current process for disputing infractions of provincial statutes and municipal by-laws...

________________________________________ ____________________

Current:
Option to pay the fine or request a trial in court to dispute the charge.
Proposed:
Option to pay penalty immediately or elect to dispute it through online system.

Current:
Paper forms must be completed to dispute charges and the defendant may be required to attend the municipal court office in person to request a trial.
Proposed:
Information needed to initiate and support dispute is entered online.

Current:
Trial process requires the participation of a justice of the peace, prosecutor, enforcement officer, etc.
Proposed:
Dispute resolution process managed by unbiased expert decision maker.

Current:
Defendant and/or his or her representative must attend the trial in-person.
Proposed:
Convenient 24/7 access to online system that provides information, guidance and access to unbiased expert decision-makers. No need to travel to a courthouse.
________________________________________ ____________________

This part above I put in bold where the dispute resolution process is managed by unbiased expert decision maker really concerns me. Who is this person? Does anyone trust someone appointed by the system to fairly represent them?

My concern is that the proposed changes would introduce a real cash grab. We know the province is in deep debt and the Wynne government's budget just released includes a lot more spending. Such a system would make it possible for the government to really step up enforcement, and since they also control/limit our ability to defend those charges the revenues would flow in much faster.

The insurance companies stand to gain substantially too, since charges provides their opportunity/justification to raise rates while the government is threatening to reduce them across the board.

There could be a serious storm on the horizon, so I felt I should pass this information along. I don't know what's going to happen after Tuesday, but right now I think we need to get the word out on this.... fast.

Interested in anyone's thoughts...

Last edited by PaulUptime; 04-28-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:08 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

Trucking associations have been lobbying for something like this for years as it would allow someone from another area to plead and defend rather than just pay the fine since they're generally unable to attend. I'd be in favour of something like this if I ever wanted to plead not guilty to, oh, let's say something I'd never do like maybe.....speeding..... Would save me taking a day off work etc....
Old 04-25-2015, 08:32 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Will there still be an alternative to the automated process in front of a live JP? Is there the opportunity to appeal the online decision? I wouldn't worry,the government is behind this and we all know they will do what will be the most efficient and effective process and what is best for us...
Old 04-26-2015, 05:51 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by dankhts
Trucking associations have been lobbying for something like this for years as it would allow someone from another area to plead and defend rather than just pay the fine since they're generally unable to attend. I'd be in favour of something like this if I ever wanted to plead not guilty to, oh, let's say something I'd never do like maybe.....speeding..... Would save me taking a day off work etc....
Oh there's definitely convenience to this online plan, Dan. Conveniently charged, conveniently paid,
and convenient (for insurance companies) to justify increasing your premium.
My fear is that the proposed online offences process will trigger more charges being laid as it fast-tracks money into the government coffers.

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Will there still be an alternative to the automated process in front of a live JP? Is there the opportunity to appeal the online decision? I wouldn't worry,the government is behind this and we all know they will do what will be the most efficient and effective process and what is best for us...
What they're suggesting is that there will NOT be an alternative.
This will CANCEL the requirement and the opportunity to question the officer that laid the charge, in court.
Instead, they'll provide an expert decision maker whose decision will be final.

We have the opportunity until Tuesday to present our views on this.
Nobody's so stupid as to believe our expressed views/concerns would have any impact, but at least those who have now read this can't say they didn't see it coming.

Get notified of new replies

To URGENT:Ontario Ministry of the AG considering online alternative for traffic offenses

Quick Reply: URGENT:Ontario Ministry of the AG considering online alternative for traffic offenses