Canadian Events Canada, eh?

C6 Front Plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:51 PM
940CACC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Front Plate

I moved from Quebec to Ontario (Ottawa) 2 years ago and never put a front plate on.

I finally got pulled over yesterday for not having the plate. He asked why and I was honest with him tellng him since I moved I just don't like the look of a front plate. He told me that was no excuss, gave me a warning citation and didn't really say much else. Didn't tell me to put one on nothing...pretty much just walked away.

So do I put one on now that I've received my warning or continue to roll the dice for the $88 fine?
Old 05-04-2015, 02:22 PM
NoShade
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 940CACC
I moved from Quebec to Ontario (Ottawa) 2 years ago and never put a front plate on.

I finally got pulled over yesterday for not having the plate. He asked why and I was honest with him tellng him since I moved I just don't like the look of a front plate. He told me that was no excuss, gave me a warning citation and didn't really say much else. Didn't tell me to put one on nothing...pretty much just walked away.

So do I put one on now that I've received my warning or continue to roll the dice for the $88 fine?
I bought my car without the front plate mount as well. I've driven pretty much without a front plate since October last year. A lot of guys here run without the plate. Most agree at some point you will get fined.

I bought a detachable front plate mount. A small frame is held on to the underside of the bumper with 3M tape. the plate itself attaches to the frame with two wing nuts. I can remove/install the plate in about 30 seconds. I keep the plate in the trunk... If I get pulled over (hasn't happened yet) I can explain my "honest" mistake and offer to attach the plate right away.

Best solution I could think of without ruining the look of the car with a front plate.

Don't think I can link in these forums but a quick Google search should get you the one I bought.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:10 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

btw..it is $110 not 88 ask me how i know

and i made my own for $free, and some 3m i had.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Been running a plate on my cars since, well forever. Last year, the stickies holding the front plate on my C6 dried up and the plate fell off. I ran no front plate for 2 weeks and was pulled over 3 times. Fortunately, I never got a ticket as I had kept the plate in my trunk still on the holder and you could see where the sticky tape was holding the plate on, on the front bumper.

How anyone gets away with driving no front plate between Toronto and Richmond Hill and bits of the west GTA, I'll never know.

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 05-04-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

You confirmed my theory that I wouldn't make it more than two days without a front plate in York Region

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
Been running a plate on my cars since, well forever. Last year, the stickies holding the front plate on my C6 dried up and the plate fell off. I ran no front plate for 2 weeks and was pulled over 3 times. Fortunately, I never got a ticket as I had kept the plate in my trunk still on the holder and you could see where the sticky tape was holding the plate on, on the front bumper.

How anyone gets away with driving no front plate between Toronto and Richmond Hill and bits of the west GTA, I'll never know.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:43 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Weĺl if you don t look like a gansta, would be ok.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:30 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

I guess I've been lucky since 2007 on my GT500 and vette for the last 3 years. I suppose my time is coming.........thing is I purchased a plate frame from a vendor, just can't seem to put it on due to looks
Old 05-07-2015, 08:42 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Yes it's $110.

I know the plate doesn't look good on any car, but not worth the hassle of getting pulled over, it's an easy excuse to get harrassed. And you WILL get pulled over, only a matter of time. Some get lucky for years, others get nabbed on the off ramps on the 404. Been there, done that.

I just keep my plate on. I use a homemade rigging taught to me by Mr Mark (Tim Hortons) with zip ties, and velcro strips. Total cost, $5.76, and put to the side so as to not block the Vararam intake scoop.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:55 AM
cdngolfer
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NoShade
I bought my car without the front plate mount as well. I've driven pretty much without a front plate since October last year. A lot of guys here run without the plate. Most agree at some point you will get fined.

I bought a detachable front plate mount. A small frame is held on to the underside of the bumper with 3M tape. the plate itself attaches to the frame with two wing nuts. I can remove/install the plate in about 30 seconds. I keep the plate in the trunk... If I get pulled over (hasn't happened yet) I can explain my "honest" mistake and offer to attach the plate right away.

Best solution I could think of without ruining the look of the car with a front plate.

Don't think I can link in these forums but a quick Google search should get you the one I bought.
That's what I have

Last year I got pulled over when it was detached. The cop was going that other way, turned around and pulled me over. He let me off when I installed it.

4 years ago, I got pulled over without one (the GM stick on on fell off) when I left my subdivision road where a speed trap was located. While at the stop sign he pulled me over and gave me a $110 ticket. He said I could fight it but he was doing his job. Too much hassel for the cost.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:06 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

not worth the aggravation, cop, OPP in town, going the other way also turned around, pulls me over and says, do you know what i have on my corvette, a front plate, he was a Dick. had it on the dash, told him i was working with gm dealer for proper mounts, said, ya, you been working on that for some time now, said he has seen the car around a lot, well was first week out,bs, comes back and says here is your corvette tax. mailed it in NOT Guilty.

Last edited by walleyejack; 05-08-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:56 PM
starsandstripes
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't run a front plate for aesthetic reasons and have gotten tickets. But i fight them and they get dropped. It is a hassel but worth it. The c5 looks soso with a front plate in my opinion, due to the shape of the cutout. I also find that most of the harassment comes from peel and york region ao i try not to wonder there too much
Old 05-08-2015, 03:10 PM
940CACC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoShade

Can you send me a link via PM?

I've seen some aftermarket stuff through the forum and Google, nothing I really like.

If any of the DIY'ers have pics I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Front Plate

Quick Reply: C6 Front Plate