Canadian Events Canada, eh?

New NAV Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 03:03 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Default New NAV Radio Install

So for the past couple of years, I've been having issues with the stock NAV in my '05 and I finally got fed up with it decided to do something about it.

After looking at various units, I decided on the Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX. Next was to find a reputable dealer that I could buy it from. I searched hi and low in Toronto/GTA and this unit retails for around $1600, if you can find someone that has stock as this is a fairly new model.

I then remembered Double D Mods on the forum and thought I would give him a try. And boy am I glad I did. Not only did I get the 8100NEX, but I also got the Pac OS-2X GM adapter harness, antenna adapter, and a Metra trim kit. I saved myself around $400. So far, no duties or brokerage fees and I don't really expect anything.

Dennis shipped everything via FedEx and it arrived at my house just a few days later. Came in a nice sturdy box.

With lots of packing peanuts for added protection.

The extra bits.

I decided to do the install myself with a lot of help from my brother.

I'm not going to bore you with pics on how to remove the console and trim. Everyone can find those instructions in the Audio section of the forum. Needless to say, Dennis made sure that it all came as plug and play. All I had to do was run the GPS antenna and the microphone up through the A pillars so as to hide the cables.

Here's the stock NAV

And here's the new NAV.

I did run into 2 issues though. The first one was after I installed the unit and put the console back together, my convertible top wouldn't work. I called up Dennis who walked me though how to reset the window indexing, which is a required procedure when you disconnect the battery. Something I had no idea about and was starting to panic that by removing the old NAV unit, I might have "cut" a wire that I wasn't supposed to. Luckily for me, it wasn't that.

The second issue I have, which I found out once all was installed, is that I installed the trim pieces to close to the face of the radio and as a result, the face does not open and close to insert DVD/CD's. I wanted the face of the radio to be flush with the trim. Now it looks like it will have to stick out a few mm's. Since I won't really be using this option that often, I am going to leave it for now as I would need to pull the console and the radio out to fix.

Thanks Dennis at Double D Mods for the fantastic deal.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:40 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Very nice upgrade and install. Were you still using the OEM head and speakers?
Old 05-31-2015, 09:31 AM
Hajie c6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the exchange is it still a deal .
Old 05-31-2015, 09:36 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

It is a good deal, pur hased mine from him last year. But, Fedex will be sending you a bill.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:25 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Originally Posted by gdh
Very nice upgrade and install. Were you still using the OEM head and speakers?
I left the rest of the Bose system intact. I just changed the head unit.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:26 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Originally Posted by walleyejack
It is a good deal, pur hased mine from him last year. But, Fedex will be sending you a bill.
How long does it take Al? It's been a couple of weeks now and nothing from FedEx. Was yours a huge invoice?
Old 05-31-2015, 10:37 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

I think I got it a couple of weeks later month later a month later maybe and I'll look it up when I go home I think it was around 75 bucks
Old 05-31-2015, 11:15 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

3 weeks later. 55.00
Old 06-01-2015, 04:08 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice look Stan.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:17 PM
GrandPrixRollsOut
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice mod! Congrats
Old 06-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

3 weeks later. 55.00
If it's around the same price, I'm still ahead.

Originally Posted by kidneyboy
Nice look Stan.
Originally Posted by GrandPrixRollsOut
Nice mod! Congrats
Thanks guys. Sounds great with the factory Bose speakers too. Was surprised to hear the low end on them.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:32 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

I was at one point going to upgrade to - to either the Pioneer or Kenwood and Dennis would have been my only choice too. Looks great! I may still do it at one point, not sure - I don't drive mine near as often as you.

Any reception issues?? I read that often on the aftermarkets, the radio reception is weak - something to do with the oem antenna? Not sure
Old 06-02-2015, 08:35 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
I was at one point going to upgrade to - to either the Pioneer or Kenwood and Dennis would have been my only choice too. Looks great! I may still do it at one point, not sure - I don't drive mine near as often as you.

Any reception issues?? I read that often on the aftermarkets, the radio reception is weak - something to do with the oem antenna? Not sure
i installed the Kenwood from Dennis last year, i have no reception issues, and using the oem antenna. others may chime in.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:08 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

i installed the Kenwood from Dennis last year, i have no reception issues, and using the oem antenna. others may chime in.

For most of the channels I listen too (Q107, 97.3, Z103, 93.5, 680, 740 and 1010), seems to be about the same, but it was excellent before and reception is still excellent, but one channel (88.5) seems to be working better. It would usually crap out on me around Eglinton and wouldn't work in the city but now, I can go as far south as Bloor before it craps out on me.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:29 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Stan!!! You listen to 88.5 too???
I just ordered last week from Dennis. I'm waiting on the Kenwood DNX 692 with a few other goodies included. I was hoping to get it early this week so I could get it installed before heading to Windsor on Saturday but it doesn't appear so. Thanks for the recommendation Stan, I'm sure I'll be pleased.
How long did it take you to do the install? I'll need to install the Sirius/XM module as well as we have XM.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:37 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

When I get my bezel mod and double din pkg with BU camera, nav, etc etc from DD Mods I know who I can get to help me with the install
Old 06-02-2015, 08:40 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

"When I get my bezel mod and double din pkg with BU camera, nav, etc etc from DD Mods I know who I can get to help me with the install"

Stan's Brother?

Get notified of new replies

To New NAV Radio Install

Old 06-02-2015, 10:15 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

Old 06-02-2015, 11:42 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Originally Posted by KLUTZ
Stan!!! You listen to 88.5 too???
I like listening to The Jewel in the evening on my rides home from the office or during the HDR. Sucks that the reception is poor in the city.

I just ordered last week from Dennis. I'm waiting on the Kenwood DNX 692 with a few other goodies included. I was hoping to get it early this week so I could get it installed before heading to Windsor on Saturday but it doesn't appear so. Thanks for the recommendation Stan, I'm sure I'll be pleased.
How long did it take you to do the install? I'll need to install the Sirius/XM module as well as we have XM.
I think the Kenwood is a more popular choice and so stock may take longer to get than the Pioneer. I ordered May 12 and it arrived May 21 so 9 days.

Took about 4 hours from start to completion. Just remember to test the loading of the dvd before putting it all in place. You may have to leave just a few mm of space for the face to open and close. I think we spent more time removing and putting back the center console and the a pillar trim than it took to actually remove the old NAV and put in the new one.

Originally Posted by dankhts
When I get my bezel mod and double din pkg with BU camera, nav, etc etc from DD Mods I know who I can get to help me with the install
Except I didn't get the backup camera. Been driving for 30 years without it, not going to start now.

Stan's Brother?
That's who I got.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:43 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Just as a side note. I mentioned that the stock Bose speakers work excellent. Well at low volumes, with the roof closed, they do. But tonight I drove with the top down and had the radio turned up a bit on the highway so I could hear it over the wind noise. The base was good, but the high end was a bit distorted. So I'm going to be looking for a replacement set of speakers for the 2 in the door and the 2 behind the seats. I will update the thread once I decide on which speakers.

Quick Reply: New NAV Radio Install