Summer driving vacation suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 07:09 PM
luvchevs
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Summer driving vacation suggestions

Hello All
I'd like to take a week off sometime between now and the end of July. I'd like to do some top down cruising in the Vette.
Looking for ideas/suggestions on good possible routes and/or destinations.

:

Dave
Old 06-14-2015, 07:42 PM
infernobuster
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tail of the dragon if you have the time.

Some great roads down there for scenery, testing out your traction control.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:57 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

if you are only talking one week then I recommend Cabot Trail
Old 06-14-2015, 08:20 PM
family-man
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

queen and sherbourne, shuter st, river st, Galloway, jane st from woolner and go north to steeles. kipling from finch west to steeles, lots more
Old 06-15-2015, 05:19 AM
LS12NV
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
if you are only talking one week then I recommend Cabot Trail
I totally agree! The views are fantastic!
Old 06-15-2015, 07:43 AM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a whole stack of high quality maps of the Dragon area if you ,or anyone else for that matter,would like to borrow them.It highlights all of the twisties in that area, starting from 11 miles of the Dragon to roads that twist for 270 miles or so.

Last edited by Airwilf; 06-15-2015 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-15-2015, 08:31 AM
luvchevs
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Airwilf
I have a whole stack of high quality maps of the Dragon area if you ,or anyone else for that matter,would like to borrow them.It highlights all of the twisties in that area, starting from 11 miles of the Dragon to roads that twist for 270 miles or so.
PM sent

Dave
Old 06-16-2015, 10:15 AM
NoShade
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have to add my support for The Dragon as well. I just spent a week in the area. Spent 2 days in Bowling Green. Drove the Dragon, The Gauntlet and Cherohola Skyway...

Amazing time.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:46 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Sure I'd do a stateside trip but preferably early spring or late fall.

This time of year, considering current exchange, traffic, unknown and potentially challenging enforcement (many stateside LEOs target out-of-state tags for revenue, general safety, insurance and other out-of-country BS, I'd recommend keeping the trip in Canada.

Stay home! We have so many great places and roads to check out!

In Ontario you have the Bruce trail, Tobermory, all the great beaches along Lake Huron. Or head north to Quebec, enjoy great food, wondrous range of accommodations, drive the Laurentians, Mont Tremblant etc. Stay off the major highways, enjoy passing through small towns. Use your domestic cell rates and be spontaneous, visit lakefront resorts, B&B's etc. Plenty of great choices right here within only a few days' travel.

Have fun!
Old 06-16-2015, 01:10 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

If you are going to the U.S., Take a couple of weeks and do Route 66. From Chicago to L.A. Lots of scenic places to visit, plus turn offs to various twisty bits of road. Something I'd like to do at least once.

It's a shame we don't have something like that up here. Once you get past Thunder Bay, the view is pretty boring along the Trans Canada Highway.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:24 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
If you are going to the U.S., Take a couple of weeks and do Route 66. From Chicago to L.A. Lots of scenic places to visit, plus turn offs to various twisty bits of road. Something I'd like to do at least once.

It's a shame we don't have something like that up here. Once you get past Thunder Bay, the view is pretty boring along the Trans Canada Highway.
North of Superior is truly a spectacle - so long as it's not during black fly season! Then, it's WOT to the Rockies, not so bad either - so long as you're vigilant not to get one (or more) big WOT tickets! They really need to issue stealth Corvette editions with super-licenses to drivers. Chugging along even at 80mph/130km is painful!

Truth is that today's Rt 66 really isn't everything all the hype and lore makes it up to be either. I've been over it point to point many times and although there remain limited stretches that deliver the original feelings of travel, culture and discovery it's more the setting that makes it interesting. Specially in Arizona and New Mexico where touring around in general (best in early spring or late fall) are awesome experiences and well away from Rt 66 or I-40. Still, nothing you'd ever want to compress into even a two week schedule - better to have at least three!

Last edited by PaulUptime; 06-17-2015 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:46 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

If you are thinking of getting out of the city and want some great backroad tours you cannot beat Muskoka and Haliburton. If you want the States the Finger Lakes region of New York State and northern PA are beautiful. All good drives and yet still close to home.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:39 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I second the Cabot Trail. It's fun to drive the vette on those hilly, twisty roads that follow the waters edge for a lot of it. I suggest to do the trail left to right when you enter the trail. The trail starts just below Cheticamp, and ends on the right side at Baddeck NS, on the Bras D'Or lakes. Since Fortress Louisbourg is closeby in Louisbourg NS, that in itself is worth a stop over.
On the return, cross the Northumberland Straight car ferry to PEI, at Caribou NS. The crossing takes 75 minutes, and it's beautiful at sunset.
It docks at Wood Islands PEI, just about 60 km from the city of Charlottetown, the birthplace of our Canadian Confederation.

BTW, my Avatar is a pic of part of the Cabot Trail, just north of Cheticamp in the Highlands National Park.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:02 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Did the Cabot Trail last fall in October with several Vettes from Nova Scotia & New Brunswick. Had a great time, enjoyed the down east hospitality.

Avatar pic taken at my brother's in Enfield Nova Scotia ,early morning with a very heavy dew that fogged the windshield & lights.

Last edited by Airwilf; 06-27-2015 at 10:04 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-29-2015, 03:47 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=Black 03 Z06;1589853520]If you are thinking of getting out of the city and want some great backroad tours yo If you want the States the Finger Lakes region of New York State and northern PA are beautiful. All good drives and yet still close to home.[/QUOu cannot beat Muskoka and Haliburton. TE]

I agree, when I leave Corning on my way to Carlisle i'm always tempted to head into the hills and get off the 4 lane, maybe leave early this year and do just that. Also Watkins Glen NY is a good destination

Last edited by vt65; 06-29-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:28 AM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Stan you are right about the Trans Canada but so wrong about west of T-bay, lol, think north to south not just east to west,,, check out http://www.roadsideattractions.ca/ and get off the Trans Canada,,,, the drive from T-bay to Atikokan puts you in an area of some very nice roads, Lake of the Woods is awesome!

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a

Old 07-04-2015, 08:30 AM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by PaulUptime
Sure I'd do a stateside trip but preferably early spring or late fall.

This time of year, considering current exchange, traffic, unknown and potentially challenging enforcement (many stateside LEOs target out-of-state tags for revenue, general safety, insurance and other out-of-country BS, I'd recommend keeping the trip in Canada.

Stay home! We have so many great places and roads to check out!

In Ontario you have the Bruce trail, Tobermory, all the great beaches along Lake Huron. Or head north to Quebec, enjoy great food, wondrous range of accommodations, drive the Laurentians, Mont Tremblant etc. Stay off the major highways, enjoy passing through small towns. Use your domestic cell rates and be spontaneous, visit lakefront resorts, B&B's etc. Plenty of great choices right here within only a few days' travel.

Have fun!

Get notified of new replies

To Summer driving vacation suggestions

Old 07-04-2015, 09:41 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NOCRISIS
Stan you are right about the Trans Canada but so wrong about west of T-bay, lol, think north to south not just east to west,,, check out http://www.roadsideattractions.ca/ and get off the Trans Canada,,,, the drive from T-bay to Atikokan puts you in an area of some very nice roads, Lake of the Woods is awesome!
Absolutely Rick. Done some of those roads and camped at Lake of the Woods. Such a beautiful country we have, but unfortunately you have to get out of Toronto to be reminded!
Old 07-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by NOCRISIS
I just meant along the TCH, Rick. You are right, once you get into the Shield, the views and some of the roads, and the parks, are spectacular.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:44 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are some really cool roads through upstate NY...along the Thousand Island parkway, Lake Placid, into Vermont, up through Quebec on the way home. Lots of 2 lane blacktops and mountain roads as well as inter-states if you're in a bit of hurry.

Quick Reply: Summer driving vacation suggestions