Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Finally, a pot hole got me! - Pic heavy

Old 06-25-2015, 02:51 PM
MRNZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Finally, a pot hole got me! - Pic heavy

Driving on Hurontario on Saturday, hit a small pot hole, but ait was one pot hole too many. Heard a terrible grinding noise, thought it was my rim, but when I looked, it was fine... when i looked under, it appeared as if my leaf spring had snapped.

Called CAA, God bless em, sent in a flat bed 35 min later. He was honest enough to say he was worried to pull the car up since its so low, and the bolt was stuck into the asphalt. he called for reinforcements. Now whis guy came 30 minutes later,.... and he was a pro! knew what to do.

He used a slider, and pushed it up. root cause, the top of the aftermarket bolt snapped right off. I learned a lot about the tranverse leaf spring system this weekend and realized how lowering the car was not really good for it.

Soo, good friend opened up his shop for me in Brampton, and had the car towed there. Went in on Monday and lucky I had the stock bolts still, we "modded" them by cutting some of the rubber to give me a 1.5 inch drop ( max drop on stock bolts)

Man, the car drives so much better and much better at launch! Its like a new car. Sits a little higher but doesn't look too bad with the offset...

Total damage: $145!!!!

Caution - Do not slam a z06 unless you got coil overs. Go as far as you can on the stock bolt and say no to aftermarket bolts!

here are the pics.

Last edited by MRNZ06; 06-25-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:54 PM
MRNZ06
Melting Slicks

Default The Pics

here are the pics
Attached Images       
Old 06-25-2015, 02:57 PM
MRNZ06
Melting Slicks

Default the modded stock bolts and how she sits now

how she sits now and on the stock bolts
Attached Images   
Old 06-25-2015, 03:29 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

wow, could have been a lot worse im sure. just thinking if you were driving at speed what could have happened. car looks great. keep on crusin
Old 06-25-2015, 03:40 PM
MRNZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by walleyejack
wow, could have been a lot worse im sure. just thinking if you were driving at speed what could have happened. car looks great. keep on crusin
Thanks... the tow truck driver said the same thing. He said he's seen rear ends ripped out from snagging something on the road at high speeds. ....Thank the goodl ord that didn't happen
Old 06-25-2015, 04:20 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Sorry for your aggravation and expense. Good thing the tow operator knew what to do, could have caused even more damage.

Mine is not lowered at all, I live on a gravel road and no ground clearance is not a good thing.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:26 PM
The Cripp
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ouch!
Old 06-25-2015, 05:25 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 659 Likes on 443 Posts

Hard to believe the wheel is still round having transmitted that amount of energy to the bolt. But in a way, the bolt failing is better. A stronger bolt might have resulted in the wheel rim bending.

The cheap bolt acted like a circuit breaker for you.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:49 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Counting your blessings I'm sure. Lucky you!
Old 06-28-2015, 01:52 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Ouch, but not the first time I've read of a lowering bolt breaking. The lowering bolts really aren't any harder on the leaf spring. It was a poor quality bolt and the bump was just the final straw that finished it off. Even without hitting any potholes, that bolt would have eventually let go.

The only part the lowering bolts is hard on is the bump stops, which are on the shocks. You wheel picture with the broken bolt shows the car on the bump stop. Whatever amount you lift it from that point is the suspension travel you have. Put the car really low and you're bashing into the bump stops on every bigger bump which makes for a crappy ride. You're probably higher now than with the lowering bolts so it doesn't hit the bump stops as often which is why it rides better.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:16 PM
cdngolfer
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The bolt failed from a fatigue fracture from what looks to be multiple origins in the thread root. You can see the beach marks - good, in-focus photo! Maybe the bolt was not hardened.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:11 AM
MRNZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Ouch, but not the first time I've read of a lowering bolt breaking. The lowering bolts really aren't any harder on the leaf spring. It was a poor quality bolt and the bump was just the final straw that finished it off. Even without hitting any potholes, that bolt would have eventually let go.

The only part the lowering bolts is hard on is the bump stops, which are on the shocks. You wheel picture with the broken bolt shows the car on the bump stop. Whatever amount you lift it from that point is the suspension travel you have. Put the car really low and you're bashing into the bump stops on every bigger bump which makes for a crappy ride. You're probably higher now than with the lowering bolts so it doesn't hit the bump stops as often which is why it rides better.
Yes, its rides soo much better now. Both sides measure at 27" from the ground, so still have a drop but not as aggressive. Very happy with not bottoming out anymore.

Sticking with this set-up until I get coil overs one day.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally, a pot hole got me! - Pic heavy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally, a pot hole got me! - Pic heavy