OT - Piano Mover Needed in GTA on Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 08:00 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Default OT - Piano Mover Needed in GTA on Saturday

Begging pardon for posting something random and

Earlier today I purchased this square grand piano (below.) It was made in the late 1800's, the manufacturer has an interesting history, and want to move it Saturday to the ground floor of our late 1800's converted boathouse. I paid nearly nothing for it and it could be worth just that - or not? Yep, I'm a nut - but I've wanted a square grand for a long time and this opportunity just came up. We'll see how it works out, but I need to get it home first.

The move has to be done Saturday afternoon between 2:30 and 4pm. I have use of a strong/low/ramped trailer and it's a short trip anyway for my pickup, but I'll need to hire some helpers and possibly rent a dolly, maybe a jack/lift to get it out from it's current residence (401/Martin Grove) to mine (Royal York and Lake Shore.)

So I'm wondering if maybe someone on these forums has experience moving a grand piano? Even referrals to a reasonably priced moving company would be appreciated. I'll be calling Braymore in the morning to see what they'll charge.

Last edited by PaulUptime; 07-24-2015 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:30 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

Paul I had a guy but can't find his card.... Moved a paino from my house way across town took 1 1/2 hrs and only charged me a hunnert and fiddy .... actually found him on Kijiji ..... Was the cheapest way to go for me... Maybe look there ?
Old 07-24-2015, 10:33 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Cool piano Paul, hopefully you can get it moved without issue. Wish I could help but they don't make enough oxygen to help me lift that.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:08 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
Cool piano Paul, hopefully you can get it moved without issue. Wish I could help but they don't make enough oxygen to help me lift that.
Thanks Murray. There's a great saying that if you want to know who your true friends are, move something!

I don't measure my friends that way, but was funny when I thought of how out of shape and/or lazy most of us are! I've got all the equipment + for moving it myself, and not afraid to tackle it, just need some capable extra hands at this point.

Makes me wish we had something in Toronto like in LA where there's always the known street corners you can go to hire a few strong Mexicans! (That was terribly non-PC so, apologies )
Old 07-24-2015, 01:54 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I need to finish the deck by Sunday for a bday BBQ or I'd help. I've moved a few standup and one grand. Be very careful moving the grand as it weights a ton, is more fragile than what it initially looks like. Remove the pedal bd, top, rod, sheet rack and legs. You should see if anyone can rent you a dolly made specifically for moving a grand (it will save backs and the box). You'll need heavy clean moving blankets. Each time I helped move any piano there was always a minimum of 4 of us. Those things are incredibly heavy and awckward, especially the vintage ones. You may also need to have it tuned once you have settled on the final placement and it has climatized to the new surrounding (humidity levels).
Old 07-24-2015, 03:23 PM
Cdn UFO
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey Paul try acme piano movers 1 800 beep beep
Old 07-24-2015, 04:24 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cdn UFO
Hey Paul try acme piano movers 1 800 beep beep
That's meep meep Randy and I'll call them soon as they return my ANVIL!
Old 07-24-2015, 04:32 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gdh
I need to finish the deck by Sunday for a bday BBQ or I'd help. I've moved a few standup and one grand. Be very careful moving the grand as it weights a ton, is more fragile than what it initially looks like. Remove the pedal bd, top, rod, sheet rack and legs. You should see if anyone can rent you a dolly made specifically for moving a grand (it will save backs and the box). You'll need heavy clean moving blankets. Each time I helped move any piano there was always a minimum of 4 of us. Those things are incredibly heavy and awckward, especially the vintage ones. You may also need to have it tuned once you have settled on the final placement and it has climatized to the new surrounding (humidity levels).
Thanks Greg! I couldn't find a pro to move it for Saturday so will try and if necessary hire them on Monday. Good luck with the deck!

First time for me to move a grrrand PIEanno, but it's a square piano, so possibly / hopefully a little lighter/smaller. Still, it's incredibly old and would hate to see its demise at the hands of my foolishness. Once I see (and play) it at the sellers' home tomorrow, I'll see if it merits the expense of a pro mover. For now, I'm just the dumbass that [bought it] but I am hopeful and a bit excited to see if it really is as cool as its history and looks!

Old 07-30-2015, 06:50 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Default The Grand Piano has Landed!

Update: This may have be one of those times when a fun challenge arrives, unexpectedly and then completing the challenge becomes more the mission than the outcome. Or maybe not? The piano's not so scrappy after all!

With the help of our neighbour's trailer and some of their tree stumping crew, the square grand piano move was fun and a success. It's now set up and just hekkacool having this 140 year old grand in our 140 yr old converted boathouse.

Any pianists in the group (or if you know anyone interested in historic/very old stuff like this) are always welcome to PM me and come by to check it out. There aren't many like this still around.

I've never had to move anything as heavy, but with straps, dolly and everyone's clear thinking, working together (and strangely not one criticism) it turned out to be a lot of fun.

Certainly in need of a tune and some new felts it actually plays pretty well. One of the guys couldn't even wait until it got off the trailer when we got it home.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:21 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Glad to read that it arrived safe, with the worn felt and out of tune it sounds a bit like a tack piano. Enjoy it, I remember hearing that when Billy Joel bought his grand piano that he slept under it the first night.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:19 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

My goodness Paul, that is one stunning piano. So pleased to hear you got it home in one piece.

Ingenuity. That is the trick. Well done, well moved.

Get notified of new replies

To OT - Piano Mover Needed in GTA on Saturday

Quick Reply: OT - Piano Mover Needed in GTA on Saturday