May I Ask A Favour

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 01:01 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Default May I Ask A Favour

May I Ask A Favour

Like many kids, I dreamed of having a Corvette. As a teenager I worked and tried to save as much as I could to one day make that dream come true. Then one day in October ’74, while sitting on the porch with my dad, he turned to me and said, “Why don’t we go take a look at that car you want.” With a huge smile I told him that I hadn’t saved enough yet but was getting closer. Returning the smile, he said “Let’s go to the dealership and see what they want for it.” Although I knew I couldn’t afford it yet, I wasn’t about to pass up the opportunity to sit in the Vette…heck, I’d never even driven one before! Two hours later, without even a test drive, a blue ’75 Vette was on order because my Dad insisted on paying the balance.

My dad drove me to pick up the car on January 3, 1975 and I’ll never forget putting the key in the ignition, starting the car and hearing Isaac Hayes on the radio singing “Shaft” (which to this day remains my “theme song”). I drove it for four whole days until the first snowfall and then had to store it.

Over the years, I got together with other Vette owners. Then one day in 1983 when eight cars were parked in front of our home (dropped by for a cruise), I remember my dad telling my mom in surprise that he’d never seen so many Corvettes in one place, he thought it was so cool.

Fast forward years later and priorities changed. I was married, we’d bought our new home and had a mortgage, Cathy was expecting our firstborn, and the most important goal was to plan for the future. Michael was born in October ‘89 and when the Vette went into storage that winter, it never came back out. For the last couple of years my Dad has asked, “Do you still have the Corvette as I never see you drive it?” and my reply is always the same, “Yes Dad, I will always have the Vette but it needs a lot of work to get it back on the road again”. Somehow priorities changed and I never got around to repairing it.

This year my dad will be 85 and I know my time with him is limited. So after 26 years in storage, priorities have changed again and the goal is towards getting the car back on the road to hopefully take my Dad for a ride in the Corvette he helped me buy. The car is still in pieces and I have over a hundred hours left just to make it roadworthy but I have a plan in mind that I hope to achieve with the help of the Corvette community.

I have a favour to ask of my fellow Corvette members. On August 22nd, I would like to recreate that day when my dad saw those Corvettes parked in front of his home. I’d like to take him back to his last Corvette ride in the ‘80s but I hope to gather up more than eight Vettes . And if my dad’s up to it, I would like us to take him for a cruise through Oakville so I can see that smile on his face again.

Below are the most recent pictures of the Vette and with the help of my good friend Erwin, we’re doing our best to get Humpty Dumpty back to a drivable state as soon as possible. I’ve had a few regrets throughout my life; I don’t want this to be one of them so getting the Vette roadworthy is my top priority as life truly is too short.

Who’s up for helping me put a smile on my dad’s face?

Members Attending

RAGGDOLL
scube
walleyejack
Cdn UFO
harrin
kidneyboy
PaulUptime
MRNZ06
1971Coupe
Patman
MotorHead (daily driver)
NoShade
gdm78vette

Maybe

VETFEVER
raztek
NOCRISIS
HiVoltge
Cdn Z06 Mike
FOLDNTOP
briankeery

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 08-14-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:13 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

I'm in Frank!!!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:45 PM
scube
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Count me in 🍻
Old 07-26-2015, 03:06 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

i m there !
Old 07-26-2015, 03:22 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

I will try to make it Frank - in my 75' Vette!!
Old 07-26-2015, 04:43 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would come but as you seen the other day mine is still in as many pieces as yours is
Old 07-26-2015, 06:19 PM
Cdn UFO
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Frank if the year doesn't matter Ill bring my c6 just post your adress and time you want us to show up.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:36 PM
harrin
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm in Frank, it's Autofest weekend, but after hearing your story this is much more important.

I'd be very pleased if you arranged a cruise that your dad and you would remember with joy and happiness. I'd also like you to use my car to drive your dad around, I could catch a ride with Mike or one of he other guys during the cruise.

Rick
Old 07-26-2015, 06:56 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdn UFO
Frank if the year doesn't matter Ill bring my c6 just post your adress and time you want us to show up.
It is going to be this year Randy.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:31 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm there for sure Frank.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:36 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harrin
I'm in Frank, it's Autofest weekend, but after hearing your story this is much more important.

I'd be very pleased if you arranged a cruise that your dad and you would remember with joy and happiness. I'd also like you to use my car to drive your dad around, I could catch a ride with Mike or one of he other guys during the cruise.

Rick
You rock Rick!
Old 07-26-2015, 11:54 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by harrin

Rick
Very Rick.

And Frank - If your Dad's OK with something 10 years earlier than your '75, I'll be glad to show up with mine. It's the weekend before Carlisle so would be good for me just to have your cruise as a target!
Old 07-27-2015, 03:04 PM
MRNZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heck I'm already there... sniff sniff.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:19 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

My progress is really taking a hit with this heat so I thought I would come indoors to cool off a little and check replies.

Thanks to all who have already replied. Your help in making this cruise possible is truly appreciated.

CdnUFO - I'm encouraging all generations of Corvettes to attend. The more, the merrier.

Harrin - I can't believe you offered your car. Thanks for your generosity. My goal is still to take my Dad for a ride in the original car he helped me buy.

PaulUptime - By all means, your '65 is more than welcome.

I will be posting a list of the definite/possible attendees and will add it to my original post to make it easier to view.

For those of you who are interested in seeing the actual "nuts and bolts" of a body-off restoration, I'm adding a couple of photos.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:27 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Looks like you drove this car in the rain
Old 07-28-2015, 02:06 PM
Cdn UFO
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Bump
Old 07-29-2015, 10:58 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Frank will be there in spirit, I have another event that day or would be all over this!!!

Get notified of new replies

To May I Ask A Favour

Old 07-30-2015, 12:24 AM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

No words to express the beauty of your intentions Frank...if I am able I would like to participate.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:11 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

NOCRISIS-Thanks Rick, as it stands now, I'm not sure if it's going to be the 21st-22nd-or 23rd as it's going to depend on weather and which day meets most people's needs.

raztek-Thank you for your kind words. I'm hoping to get a few more members so that we can make a statement. I'll put you down as a "maybe".

Update:

Below are a few pictures taken yesterday and today. The heat is once again getting to me and I need to cool down a bit so I thought I would check for replies.

If anyone else can join in, I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 08-02-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:46 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Thats a touching story.If i lived closer i d be there in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: May I Ask A Favour