Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Looking for one brake caliper seal

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 05:32 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Looking for one brake caliper seal

By accident I ripped one of the brake caliper piston seals on the drivers rear when I was installing the pads and have to replace it. I've called around and it seems the soonest I can get a replacement set is from Napa and it would be mid next week.

Does anyone have a spare new one that I can buy, or borrow and replace when I get the order in from Napa. It's not the one that the two halves go together, it's the one that seals around one of the 4 pistons. The other three are good so I only need one.

It's for a '75 Coupe.

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 08-14-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:21 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
By accident I ripped one of the brake caliper piston seals on the drivers rear when I was installing the pads and have to replace it. I've called around and it seems the soonest I can get a replacement set is from Napa and it would be mid next week.

Does anyone have a spare new one that I can buy, or borrow and replace when I get the order in from Napa. It's not the one that the two halves go together, it's the one that seals around one of the 4 pistons. The other three are good so I only need one.

It's for a '75 Coupe.
Frank there are TWO "seals" per piston : the actual piston hydraulic seal and the outer "seal" which is a dust boot.

I believe you probably tore the dust boot - you can probably get by without it or with a damaged one for a short while.

I find it very hard to believe that no one (in the GTA area) has a caliper kit in stock.
My local parts store probably would have been able to get one for tomorrow (if I had ordered today)
The caliper seal kits are the same for rear (or front) from '65 to '82.

I looked to see if per chance I might have had a loose seal ; unfortunately all I have are complete NOS AC Delco GM kits which I will not lend or part out - sorry.

Be forewarned you are probably going to have leaky "calipers" and will have to redo them anyway not just the one piston boot you damaged.

Last edited by QIK59; 08-15-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:03 AM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thought I'd really show you how "good" I am and get you a kit today, but unfortunately I can't as the closest warehouse with stock is Boucherville, QC and it would be Tuesday

They're in stock across Canada all except Toronto

Last edited by QIK59; 08-15-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:18 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Thanks for the reply QIK59;

Before the car was parked I installed rebuilt stainless sleeved calipers. When I went to bleed the brakes I noticed a leak in one of the rear seals and figured I must have ripped it when installing the pads with the aid of a slotted screwdriver which I know is not the correct way to do it. When you're in a hurry you don't always take the necessary precautions.

I made sure to inspect each piston as well as seals before installing the pads and all were still in great shape so I only wanted one seal to replace the ripped one to get the car road worthy for next weekend. Afterwards my intentions were to replace all 4 in the one caliper, (while I'm at it).

Napa stated they maybe able to get it sooner but I need to move the car into the center of the driveway today and wanted to drive it over rather then manually move it. Brakes are helpful when driving a car for what ever reason.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:29 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Ok, nobody has a spare caliper seal so I'll have to work around it.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:19 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
Ok, nobody has a spare caliper seal so I'll have to work around it.
Wrong audience to be asking for a C3 part like that.
The people that have stuff like that kicking around usually aren't into forums (like me ).

As I told you I could have got you a kit for today (noon).

It's not a big deal to move a car around with a leaky caliper - it's not like you don't have any brakes plus the parking brake ?

Last edited by QIK59; 08-18-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:15 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Hi Frank.

I came across this ad on Kijiji today. Maybe he has the brake seal you're looking for. Cars a 78 but he's parting it out. He's located in Caledon so not too far away. Might be worth a call and/or drive for a look see.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/...ationFlag=true

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 08-19-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:29 PM
0Northern Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have all this sort of stuff in stock at the shop. Brakes, suspension, weatherstrip, etc, all years C1-C6. If you still need it let me know, i can overnight it if you want, or not too far if you want to pick up in niagara. I'll also be in Milton tomorrow afternoon if you want to meet there. Thanks
Old 08-19-2015, 08:51 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Northern Corvette
I have all this sort of stuff in stock at the shop. Brakes, suspension, weatherstrip, etc, all years C1-C6. If you still need it let me know, i can overnight it if you want, or not too far if you want to pick up in niagara. I'll also be in Milton tomorrow afternoon if you want to meet there. Thanks
Hey James, luckily I managed to get one today but thanks for your help.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for one brake caliper seal

Quick Reply: Looking for one brake caliper seal