Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Rental car - too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 11:48 PM
monstrocity
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Rental car - too good to be true?

I am taking my wife to LA in October for our anniversary. As it turns out we were invited to a wedding in Tucson and decided to fly into LAX and back out of TUS. We thought it might be fun to take that drive in between.

I went to a few car rental sites and the deals were so-so, some with relocation fees and others without. Then I went to Expedia which I use often and it allowed me to enter a rental with separate drop off site.

First thing I notice is that a couple of the brands are offering economy cars at $29cdn for a 2-day rental, dropping it off in Tucson! I think it could be a mistake so I quickly book a premium for $58cdn. That's not per day... it's the ENTIRE rental including tax for 2 days.

So then I get greedy and find there is another option for a luxury car (site says Lincoln MKS, BMW 740, or similar!). It's only $142cdn all in so I grab it and cancel the earlier one with no penalty.

I've learned when things sound too good to be true... they probably aren't. Is this a mistake or some kind of re-location special? Unfortunately it's not pre-paid just a reservation so I suppose they can always say sorry here's a Corolla take-it-or-leave-it. But still the price is decent and it's a legitimate Expedia booking.

Did I score?
Old 09-15-2015, 08:23 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

We rented a car in Phoenix last March and it was stupid expensive. All the add on taxes, even on to pay for their new football stadium were crippling. Almost a $1K for two weeks for a crappy Nissan, that I found out later is one of the most dangerous cars built.

So if this is the deal you got I would say good for you. We searched high and low and found nothing like these prices. Go and enjoy your happy anniversary.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:02 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

booked 7 day rental in Vegas for 145CA,,had to pay now and it is for a ? car, last time they gave us a mustang vert,will see this time. It was through TD/expedia.The deals are out there,,,,make sure the air works Oct will be hot,lol. Check out Tombstone if you have time, take west way in and east side out. Take passport as you have to go through US customs along the way,,, have fun!!!
Old 09-15-2015, 08:49 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Another town to take in after NOCRISIS suggestion of Tombstone (loved the place) is Bisbee (hope the spelling is right) Az. Just a little south of Tombstone but a beautiful spot.

Enjoy.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:56 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
Another town to take in after NOCRISIS suggestion of Tombstone (loved the place) is Bisbee (hope the spelling is right) Az. Just a little south of Tombstone but a beautiful spot.

Enjoy.
Tombstone is a cool stop. You might be surprised to know there is actually a thriving wine country around there too - look up the Sonoita/Elgin Wine Trail. Was quite good.

Bisbee is super cool town. See the massive old copper mine, find interesting restaurants along steep one lane roads, and if you want a truly unique stay, check out the Shady Dell trailer park where you can spend a night or two in an old 50's vintage trailer, bus or yacht (all fully restored.) Jennie and I stayed in the "Mansion" which was a complete experience with vintage dishes, coffee percolator, B&W tube tv, period magazines and more. Hell, there's even an old Chris Craft yacht (the honeymoon suite) and the joint's managed perfectly by a quite attractive 50's pinup type gal.

The following users liked this post:
Black 03 Z06 (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 02:43 AM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Save even more,add rental insurance rider to your personal auto insurance.A few bucks more than what the rental companies charge for a day gets you coverage for a year,also remember your so called insurance that your credit card offers is virtually useless.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:46 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Save even more,add rental insurance rider to your personal auto insurance.A few bucks more than what the rental companies charge for a day gets you coverage for a year,also remember your so called insurance that your credit card offers is virtually useless.
I prefer driving to my destinations so don't rent often, but I've been told it's better to buy the rental company's insurance than use your personal since any claim would not then affect your own insurance rates.

Preferring to keep a low profile in unknown areas I also never rent a premium vehicle or anything tagged/stickered as a rental car.

Specially on holidays, I try to maintain a low BS threshold so in those delivery moments with the agent present, I'll grab my phone to take pics of defects and just roll general video as I go around and in the car before I leave the lot.

The most nervous rental experiences I have are with sketchy Caribbean island rentals. In those cases I'll bring cash for my deposit vs. credit card and with subtlety, roll camera video during the transaction asking the agent to verbally state the amount. Never a problem.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:26 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PaulUptime
Tombstone is a cool stop. You might be surprised to know there is actually a thriving wine country around there too - look up the Sonoita/Elgin Wine Trail. Was quite good.

Bisbee is super cool town. See the massive old copper mine, find interesting restaurants along steep one lane roads, and if you want a truly unique stay, check out the Shady Dell trailer park where you can spend a night or two in an old 50's vintage trailer, bus or yacht (all fully restored.) Jennie and I stayed in the "Mansion" which was a complete experience with vintage dishes, coffee percolator, B&W tube tv, period magazines and more. Hell, there's even an old Chris Craft yacht (the honeymoon suite) and the joint's managed perfectly by a quite attractive 50's pinup type gal.

Paul that is an incredible place, we will have to look for it next year. Thanks for sharing the photo. I would like to stay in Bisbee and explore the area a little more. I saw at least six bars I did not get into.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:07 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by monstrocity
I am taking my wife to LA in October for our anniversary. As it turns out we were invited to a wedding in Tucson and decided to fly into LAX and back out of TUS. We thought it might be fun to take that drive in between.

I went to a few car rental sites and the deals were so-so, some with relocation fees and others without. Then I went to Expedia which I use often and it allowed me to enter a rental with separate drop off site.

First thing I notice is that a couple of the brands are offering economy cars at $29cdn for a 2-day rental, dropping it off in Tucson! I think it could be a mistake so I quickly book a premium for $58cdn. That's not per day... it's the ENTIRE rental including tax for 2 days.

So then I get greedy and find there is another option for a luxury car (site says Lincoln MKS, BMW 740, or similar!). It's only $142cdn all in so I grab it and cancel the earlier one with no penalty.

I've learned when things sound too good to be true... they probably aren't. Is this a mistake or some kind of re-location special? Unfortunately it's not pre-paid just a reservation so I suppose they can always say sorry here's a Corolla take-it-or-leave-it. But still the price is decent and it's a legitimate Expedia booking.

Did I score?
Yes there are specials on for AZ drop-offs - down to almost $10 a day plus taxes.
You did well - I'm paying $250 US all in for 11 days ~ $30 Cdn @ day.

I like to deal direct especially with hotel's and avoid getting "Expedia surprises" (hotel's sometimes resent Expedia cut-rate bookings - 'may be reflected in your "accomodation" LOL)

Also I like to know what I'm getting ie: 4 door to transport friends, parts shopping and luggage etc etc.

Flying into 'Vegas to p/u car and then heading on to LA to visit friends and attend their Halloween street party, hitting Bob's Big Boy Friday night cruise (haven't been in a few years), then back to 'Vegas via Laughlin.
Doing SEMA for a couple of days and then down to Phoenix for a couple of nights of sprint and dirt track racing and then home.

When you leave LA heading east on the "Ten" , you're going to see miles of wind mills (turbines) - pretty surreal !

Nothing too spectacular between LA and Phoenix but a great drive nonetheless - Phoenix freeway seems to go on for miles.

Enjoy the trip - it's addictive
Old 10-14-2015, 01:12 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by PaulUptime

awesome!! on my list now!!
Old 10-22-2015, 02:00 PM
monstrocity
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Follow up

I wanted to follow up on my earlier post now that I'm back from the trip.

Turns out they did not give us a Lincoln or BMW 7-series. They "only" gave us a BMW 328. We drove it about 1000kms from LA to Tucson (via San Diego) and it was REAALLY fun to drive. Nice mix of coastal and desert Interstates.

And they held the price. About $100 USD all inclusive for 2 days. Actually I was about 90 minutes late returning it and they dinged me an extra day. But I didn't fight it - figured I got a great deal.

I gotta say for an entry level 3-series that car is quick! It took some time to get used to the iDrive-type navigation system but it was quite good once we had it figured out. Only annoying thing is the engine switches off all the time when you are stopped at a light. Kicks in right away when you hit the gas but it is disconcerting... feels like it's not gonna start when you pull out.

Rental company was Budget/Avis and they held their word on the booking. With a smile too. Guy complimented me on scoring a nice deal.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:19 PM
MOSPORT1
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

Too late now but there is a little button right above the start button that disables the autoshut off...
Initally the nav is difficult but once you learn it
Works great..
If you liked the base 3 series go try an M235 ....
Btw i rented an M4 in Germany for 2 weeks
Cost me over $3000.....was worth it..
So you did
good on your deal....

Get notified of new replies

To Rental car - too good to be true?

Quick Reply: Rental car - too good to be true?