Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Cruise to Bowling Green, Kentucky. Anyone interested?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 07:14 PM
Rich Farr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default June Date Might Be Best

The Smokey Mountains are very popular in July
Old 02-03-2016, 09:18 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Stan,
I have some very high quality maps (paper-cloth fabric/colour)of the areas where you want to cruise.The Dragon is the shortest at 11 miles & the longest is approx 268 or so miles.The maps show about 32 plus (or 38,can't remember) routes,marked in detail & different colours.You are quite welcome to borrow them as we plan on being out of the country on your planned dates.
Dragon tips that we found: Do it on a week day,preferably Monday or Tuesday.Several million car clubs invade the Dragon on weekends, especially in the height of the summer season.Go early in the morning , say 0830ish.Don't cross the yellow line at that time of the year.You will donate to the county.We did it on the last weekend in April, no police , zero traffic that morning, aside from 4 locals enroute to work.Later that week, there was 600+ Minis on the Dragon.You don't want that scenario. Anyway, let me know, send me your address & you can use my maps.
Wilf
Old 05-01-2016, 05:16 PM
Rich Farr
Racer

Default Trip to Dragon & Bowling Green?

Hello Stan,

Any thoughts about trip?
Old 05-01-2016, 10:56 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Yeah I'm going to postpone this for now. Maybe plan this for 2017.

#1 reason right now is the cost. Since this was working out to a 5-6 day long cruise, I was hoping to keep costs down to about $1k-$1500 CDN for gas and hotels all in. Wouldn't be able to do anything about the cost of gas, but, depending on the size of the group, hotels would be able to give us cheaper rates. With our dollar at 35%, it's working out closer to $2k-$2500 CDN. I'm not prepared to spend that much and to ask the group to be on the hook for that amount of money as well.

#2 is the logistics of this cruise. Since I've never done anything on this large a scale, plus my unfamiliarity with the areas involved, I think I'd like to do this cruise solo first as my way to test everything out, see what's there. Maybe have 1 other come with me just so I'm not on my own. Also with the timing of the cruise, I want to know if there's other stuff going on that might impede access or even increase the costs to hotels.

#3 is that the museum isn't getting back to me about my inquiries about the plant and museum tours. When I call, I usually get their voicemail. And my emails seem to go unanswered. Maybe a personal visit is in order.

#4 I am considering scaling it back. Maybe make it a long 3 day long weekend. Drive to Windsor or Sarnia, cross the border, cruise through Indianapolis to Bowling Green. Maybe have time to tour Nashville at least and then head back. And then plan another trip just for the Tail but the Tail is pretty far south and to go there just for that would be an inefficient use of time IMO.

Will let the group know one way or the other.

Stan.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:17 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
Yeah I'm going to postpone this for now. Maybe plan this for 2017.

#1 reason right now is the cost. Since this was working out to a 5-6 day long cruise, I was hoping to keep costs down to about $1k-$1500 CDN for gas and hotels all in. Wouldn't be able to do anything about the cost of gas, but, depending on the size of the group, hotels would be able to give us cheaper rates. With our dollar at 35%, it's working out closer to $2k-$2500 CDN. I'm not prepared to spend that much and to ask the group to be on the hook for that amount of money as well.

#2 is the logistics of this cruise. Since I've never done anything on this large a scale, plus my unfamiliarity with the areas involved, I think I'd like to do this cruise solo first as my way to test everything out, see what's there. Maybe have 1 other come with me just so I'm not on my own. Also with the timing of the cruise, I want to know if there's other stuff going on that might impede access or even increase the costs to hotels.

#3 is that the museum isn't getting back to me about my inquiries about the plant and museum tours. When I call, I usually get their voicemail. And my emails seem to go unanswered. Maybe a personal visit is in order.

#4 I am considering scaling it back. Maybe make it a long 3 day long weekend. Drive to Windsor or Sarnia, cross the border, cruise through Indianapolis to Bowling Green. Maybe have time to tour Nashville at least and then head back. And then plan another trip just for the Tail but the Tail is pretty far south and to go there just for that would be an inefficient use of time IMO.

Will let the group know one way or the other.

Stan.
would be interested in the BG ride.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:44 PM
Rich Farr
Racer

Default Better 7-8 Day Trip

Stan,

My theory is that if you are going that far you might as well make the trip extraordinary. To really get the best bang for the buck you would need a couple of extra days. There is so much neat stuff.

I think that a 7-8 day trip would run to $2500.

Quick Reply: Cruise to Bowling Green, Kentucky. Anyone interested?