Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Cruise to Bowling Green, Kentucky. Anyone interested?

Old 11-23-2015, 02:18 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Cruise to Bowling Green, Kentucky. Anyone interested?

Cruise to Bowling Green, Kentucky via The Tail of the Dragon, North Carolina, Nashville, Tennessee, and Indianapolis, Indiana.

I've been talking about doing something like this for the past couple of years and finally decided to plan it out for 2016.

Tentative dates for the cruise. Looking at 4-5 days, maybe 6 between June 18-27 or July 9-18

Of course, this all depends on the tour dates available for the Corvette Plant and the museum.

I'm doing this for myself and was wondering if there's any interest.

I've also invited the Piedmont Corvette Club as I'm asking for help in assistance with the route, places to stay and places to visit.

Here's the note I posted on their FB page.

I'm looking to plan a trip to Bowling Green next year, maybe June or July and need some help.

Maybe some in the group would like to join us.

Would like to make this a long weekend trip, maybe 3-4 days, can stretch to 5 if need be, but would like it to be 4 days max, and would like to include the Tail of the Dragon.

Leave Toronto early Thursday or Friday morning and back in Toronto at the latest late Sunday afternoon or early Sunday evening. Not sure if what I have in mind is doable in those few days.

Going by Google maps, I was thinking of I90 to I79, gives your group somewhere to hook up with us along the way if interested, down to Knoxville and the Tail, then make our way up to Nashville for an overnight stay or 2, maybe do a bit of sight seeing here to Graceland, Johnny Walker tour, Grand Old Opry and anything else we have time for, then off to Bowling Green for the GM and Museum tours, and then up to Indianapolis, visit the Speedway, Monument Circle, other places of interest, and another overnight stay, and then make our way back to Toronto, maybe via Detroit or further north at Sarnia.

But being unfamiliar with the area I want to visit, I don't know places to stay, some sight seeing opportunities, other than what I know at Indianapolis and Nashville, when is a "good" time to do this, and possible scenic cruising routes.

Hopefully you and the group can help me out and maybe we'll see each other on this cruise.

Also posted on my Facebook Page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/111167042252004/

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 11-28-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:06 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

then on to Graceland
Old 11-23-2015, 03:11 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

What I had in mind is pretty aggressive for 4 days, so I may stretch it to 5 days, Thur-Mon (4 nights in the US). And at a total cost of around $1K US, give or take.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:00 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 659 Likes on 443 Posts

I would be interested in learning more Stan.

Many have done this, pretty sure there are write up's in the General Section.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:11 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Curious about this as well Stan. Sounds like a good time, not sure I can get enough 02 in the back to last me four or five days.

Looking forward to hearing more details, it would be nice to meet up with the Piedmont folks again as well.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:24 PM
JB08
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

Hey Stan,

Count me in as interested as well. My son and I had talked about maybe doing the trip to Carlyle next year, but this seems like a good alternative (can't do both). Mostly it will depend on what time of year.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:01 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

It's an interesting trip.

I took a trip to Gatlinburg a few years ago and it was a day to get there. I recall it being maybe 12 hours or so. Knoxville is a little closer so maybe 11 hours to get there. There is some interesting stuff around Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Floyd Garrett's Muscle Car Museum had some interesting cars.

I've also gone to Bowling Green and it was almost as long a drive. I think it was 11 hours or so. 3 or 4 hours of that was at 95-100mph when the ex was driving while I was sleeping (lucky we didn't get caught).

Gatlinburg to Tail of the Dragon is about 1.5 hours each way. Knoxville is more direct so maybe an hour. Cruising some of the roads in the area and stopping for food and then getting to Nashville is an easy full day.

Nashville to Bowling Green is pretty short so you could drive there and make the tour and visit the museum. But that will kill most of that day so maybe a bit of driving or hit another fairly local site and a hotel.

I would expect to make the 2 destinations and be back would take 4 days and 3 nights. So, you could spend a day around Nashville if you wanted, or some other location along the way.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:30 PM
blu_c6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I would be interested depending on dates. Will keep an eye here for more details.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:59 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Been having same conversation on my FB Page. Cleaned up to make it easier to follow, if anyone wants to read it.

Originally Posted by HDR Cruise
Sandy Haars: Stan Casey n I did it last year and drove home in one day and that was a lot of heavy driving and the troopers down there are sticking with speed but we would like to do again.

Paul Marentette: Stan, we can chat about this at the Christmas dinner. I'm familiar with most of those routes and stops. Four days is a bit too aggressive to enjoy both the journey and the destination. Really want 5, maybe 6 for everything you listed, or perhaps knock Indy and Nashville/'Opry off the list.
Graceland is definitely worthwhile though. Even if you're not an Elvis fan before visiting, you WILL be after!

Stan Penko: Sounds good Paul. We'll talk. Yeah I figured it was aggressive for 4 days. One or 2 people might be able to get away with it but as a group, it would be tough. That's why I asked for help. I'd still like to do all on my list and if we do a Thur to Mon (4 nights), I think we can do it. And it also depends on costs too. Would like to keep this trip for around $1K US give or take, while we are in the US, all in.

Chris Peterson: Definitely interested,but the 4 days to get all this done is pretty quick. The dragon and surrounding roads are 2 days alone...

Stan Penko: Yeah the more I calculate the amount of time required to do this trip, the longer it takes. Even at 5 days, I still have us coming back between 11pm and midnight on Monday.

This is what I've worked out so far, and I included about 1-2 hours of stops along the way on each part of the route.

Leave 7am Thursday Toronto to arrive Charlotte 9pm - 14Hrs.
Leave 7am Friday Charlotte to arrive Knoxville 3pm. 8Hrs, including the Tail.
Leave 7am Saturday Knoxville to arrive noon Nashville. 5Hrs.
Leave Nashville 1pm to arrive 2pm Bowling Green
Back to Nashville for dinner, and the night
10am Sunday at Graceland. Tour is about 4 hours. Maybe other sites after lunch.
Spend one more night in Nashville
Leave 7am Monday Nashville to Arrive noon Indianapolis. 5Hrs
Leave Indianapolis to Toronto 10Hrs

Paul Marentette: Stan - You'll want to leave plenty of time for contingencies. It's hard enough keeping everyone together on an HDR, but throw in MUCH more distance, a border crossing, enforcement/bathroom/fuel/food stops plus a bunch of folks that seldom maintain formation and the time can go haywire.

Stan Penko: I've got about 5 months to work out all the logistics, plus get an idea of a roll call. Then I can setup hotel/motel bookings for everyone. If I did it in reverse order, timing looks like would work out better for us. Head to Indianapolis first, then Nashville and Bowling Green, then on to Knoxville and the Tail, and then back to Toronto.

Think it can be done for around $1K U.S. once we enter the U.S.? Hotels, gas, food, sight seeing?

Paul Marentette: Gas alone would be $400, Hotels about same ($100/nt x 4_nts) another $400 for Meals/drinks ($100/day/pp) then entrance tix, etc. another $50/day so prob more like $1300-$1500US ($2K Cdn) and that's only IF you stay clear of enforcement.
A bunch of Corvettes will attract a lot of attention so only way to avoid nothing more than 8 mph over limit, which will be very hard to do.

Stan Penko: Guys, is it just me or has Sandy's and Paul's post disappeared from above my first reply?

Stan Penko: And now my reply post has disappeared. No option to view additional comments.

Sandy Haars: I still see mine and Paul's Stan

Stan Penko: Ah they are back. Thanks Sandy. Took reply for them to reappear.

Paul Marentette: LOL - Was going to say it was you, Stan, but FB has been dropping and returning posts all day today.

Sandy Haars: Np I didn't want you to think you where going nuts

Stan Penko: At least, not more than usual, eh Sandy?

Sandy Haars: Stan for all the planning you do for us your not even close being nuts

Stan Penko: LOL. And here I thought I was nuts for doing all the planning I do.

Sandy Haars: You do a great job in case no one has mentioned it to you lately!!!

Stan Penko: Thanks Sandy. They have!

Chris Owens: I would be in to going

Rick Harrington: I may be interested if the timing around work is right

Mark Fulton: Sounds like a Great adventure!!
Old 11-24-2015, 02:09 PM
C6IRONMN
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested
Old 11-25-2015, 10:45 AM
08C6
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Definite interest here !!!! Yup ....
Old 11-25-2015, 11:55 PM
Rich Farr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Have Done Dragon And Area

Hey Stan,

There is just so much great stuff in the area of the Dragon:

-a Best Western right on a river
-a county full of waterfalls
-many great additional roads to drive
-50 story dam to drive over

The most important thing is good weather. If you want I can provide you with info and photos and route suggestions.

We would be very interested in going with you if the time of year provided a high probability of good weather. We had to abandon the area one trip due to rain and cool temperatures - from personal experience this is no fun
Old 11-26-2015, 07:41 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

sounds very interesting Stan!
Old 11-26-2015, 09:28 PM
ROBMARZ
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
Been having same conversation on my FB Page. Cleaned up to make it easier to follow, if anyone wants to read it.
I did the Dragon this August and about 100 miles of the Blueridge Parkway. Both worth the effort to get to.

There is no need to go all the way to Charlotte unless it is an important destination for you.

Also, try to do the Dragon on a weekday when the traffic is lighter or you'll be driving it in a traffic jam.

Enjoy the trip
Old 11-27-2015, 07:34 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

I'm (or rather we're) in!
Old 11-28-2015, 12:21 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The major negative issue regarding going through Pigeon Forge, if that is a possible route... it that there is a big *** Christmas Store there. Biggest I've ever seen and unfortunately been dragged into. Amazing how much Christmas crap can be stuffed into a C5 'Vert. even when on a two week driving vacation.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:19 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

sounds purrrfect Stan, we want to do the Tail and go back to the Plant, last visited in 2011 ... Rob

Last edited by vt65; 11-28-2015 at 04:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cruise to Bowling Green, Kentucky. Anyone interested?

Old 11-28-2015, 02:48 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Originally Posted by ROBMARZ
I did the Dragon this August and about 100 miles of the Blueridge Parkway. Both worth the effort to get to.

There is no need to go all the way to Charlotte unless it is an important destination for you.

Also, try to do the Dragon on a weekday when the traffic is lighter or you'll be driving it in a traffic jam.

Enjoy the trip
I've never been further south than New York City in the U.S. I am basing this route on what I see on Google Maps, and some of the roads traveled to and from that I read about in other threads and on other forums. Not being familiar with the small towns and places to stay along the way, I chose the bigger towns/cities as I know they will have the amenities that I am familiar with.

1. If anyone from the Piedmont Corvette Club of Virginia wants to join us, I figured coming down 77 so they don't have to go too far to meet us.
2. I know of Charlotte, but never having been there, it's on the way so I though of it for a stop.
3. Puts us at the south end of 129 to head north onto the Tail and then into Knoxsville.

This being all said, if anyone would like to map out a route for us, tell me exactly where to go, plus let me know of hotels in towns that I can call to arrange for room bookings, etc.

I didn't want to make this a super long trip. 4 to 5 days max, maybe stretch it to 6. The purpose of this trip was the Tail and Bowling Green. The rest are bonuses if we can get to it. I just figured as we'll be driving by or through some of these places, we can do some sightseeing. I think I'm planning the 4-5 days during the week of either June 18-27 or July 9 to 18. Once I get a confirmation from GM and the Museum for the tours, that is when we go. So still plenty of time to plan.

But everyone should be aware that is the time frame for the cruise. If you are interested in going, then keep those days free in your calendar for as long as you can.
June 18-27 or July 9-18

Would like to incorporate the Blue Ridge Parkway if we can as well. Instead if 77, we can transition to 81 somewhere, then head on to the BRP into Charlotte or some small town like Cherry Lane or Little Switzerland, along the way, then make our way up to Nashville and Bowling Green. Was also hoping to keep costs to between $1000-$1500 U.S. for the entire trip (hotels, food, gas, insurance, tour costs, etc) with where the CDN dollar is at this time.

When I say insurance, what I'm referring to is travel insurance just in case something happens to someone and they need a hospital visit. I use Manulife CoverMe All Inclusive insurance for when traveling outside Canada. Costs about $260CDN for 7 days, but well worth it.

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 11-28-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:59 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

If you are considering BRP then I might suggest close to same as the trip we took this summer. Actually, even with 4 days I might suggest first day to get to base of Shenandoahs (Front Royal) and rest for the night...early morning as the Top of the Blue ridge is amazing early morning with the clouds right there, Day 2 Shenandoahs and BRP to Bristol, Day 3 Bristol to 421 Snake Run then to Fontana Lodge at the Tail. On this day there is still lots of time for Tail of the Dragon and area. Day 4 Dragon in the am and then up to BG... Day 5 BG and back. I am just throwing it out there to get all the absolute best driving and best scenery imaginable. That is exactly what I did this summer in the trip... AMAZING! The report below (23 Days) refers, has maps, piks and Vid...

Last edited by AllFlash; 11-28-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:04 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
Curious about this as well Stan. Sounds like a good time, not sure I can get enough 02 in the back to last me four or five days.

Looking forward to hearing more details, it would be nice to meet up with the Piedmont folks again as well.
Hey Murray. If need be, I can carry a tank or 2 for you. Not sure what the law is about carrying oxygen, but I'm willing to help if I can. I'm also trying to arrange for a chase vehicle to accompany us. My brother and his GF would like to and are willing to follow us in my SUV, if he has the time, so I'll have room there for some extras as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cruise to Bowling Green, Kentucky. Anyone interested?