Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Looking For a New PC.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 08:15 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

You're the boss ... just trying to assist. You will never use, or even notice a performance difference between the motherboard, memory and especially the video card of these two systems. In your usage pattern (and owning a Tech corporation I do just these analytics all the time), you do not need any more than 4GB, much less 8GB. Unless you have some sort of VERY demanding graphics application, you will never even come close to touching 16GB. Your video card is the latest, but without new monitors, you can never take advantage oif that in any case. We tried that route with another system. Similarly, your motherboard is well above what you will ever need.

IMO the two key things for you are the SSD and the next day home warranty, not to mention that you will be saving significantly from the other system that doesn't have either. There is a substantial visible performance jump between this system and the one you will be paying much more for, that jump going to this system. Similarly, the XPS system, if it ever breaks down, will have you cursing in trying to get warranty repairs. In-home next day warranty (and I have had this with my previous Dell) is ideal.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:44 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Frank.

I think what Les is trying to tell you is that, your goal of buying a computer to last as long as 10 years is commendable, but is probably a bit unrealistic. I don't know of anyone in my sphere of influence in the IT world, that would be comfortable in saying today's computer would last you 10 years. No matter how little you use it. You know the old saying of they don't make em like that anymore? Well it also applies to electronics. More and more, as prices drop, due mostly to less quality control, electronics are becoming commodity items to be replaced, not repaired. Wouldn't it be better (meaning cheaper) for you in the long run to purchase a bargain basement computer, since you report to be a very basic user of a system and replace that, say every 3-5 years? And use the savings to put toward other interests, like, say oh I don't know, a car you have in the garage or something like that. But then why even bother with a computer. Why not get an ipad or android tablet, with adapters to use your 2 monitors while at home? You can get Outlook and the other Office apps on the ipad nowadays.

Another thought to keep in mind is that you don't know what your usage pattern will be going forward. Yes, you can say since you didn't really do much in the past 10 years, you won't do much in the next 10 years. But our usage is changing. We rely more and more on technology, the internet and social media to get us through the day. 10 years ago, YouTube wasn't a thing. Now look at it. And at the rate we are going, technology gets old just sitting on a shelf.

The final decision is yours. The XPS8900 that you linked will work for you for sure and it will work with the 2 monitors you have. There is a plethora of free software out there that I know can replace whatever you have on your current system and in the anti-virus world, AVG, Avast and F-Secure are among the best. Avira isn't too bad either. They too have paid versions if you want, but the free versions work just as well. Will it last you 10 years? Well, only time will tell.

We all threw a lot of tech mumbo jumbo at you in the last few posts trying to help, but I think my final paragraph above is what you really wanted to read.

Again, good luck with your decision.

Happy holidays and hopefully see you in 2016.

Stan.

PS. Just to give you an idea of where we are heading. You know that little SIM card that goes into your cell phone? Well one day in the future, we will have an implant in our bodies for something similar that will turn our minds eye into a computer screen. Our brains will become the cell phones and computers of the future. It's mostly science fiction right now, but I'm sure someone out there is working on this as we speak.

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 12-23-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:30 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Actually that's not quite where I was trying to go but I can go there, so long as the OP knows I am only trying to help him as the rest of us here are. First...in case you think I am simply another Forum member sticking his nose in, this will take you to my LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lestokar I am an industry professional (just as Stan is) who, not only has had a great deal into the input of much of what we use today, but also, myself and my team of 10 or so travel worldwide to events, we lecture...and so on. Where did I start out? I actually started out once upon a time teaching DOS, Wordperfect etc and helping those that haven't the knowledge to stay away from the shark salesman who try and get them to buy far too much for what they need. I fear this is where we are here and if I can be straight forward in explaining why...

1. You're system has had a great life but is on the verge of extinction. I can get that baby flying for the short term, but in purchase, you need to understand that the two monitors you love so much are not far away from biting the dust as well. Your best avenue is to match a complete system now rather than holding on to old reliable. Actually, the resolution difference alone is going to stun you when looking at your screen; it is that much better.

2. Dell XPS systems arent what they used to be. Today they are simply regular PCs tagged XPS and they don't come with next day at home warranty like they used to. I know because my whole existance in the tech world started when Dell sent me a XPS M1330 many years ago with this new thing called an SSD in it; I was the first to review an SSD and start a very lucrative business from this PC and it still sits right beside me.

3. You are getting 16GB memory in that system. You only need 4GB max for your usage pattern and 8 would be high end healthy. That is the thing that is costing you so much in that PC. They are charging you several hundred dollars premium for ram that you won't ever be capable of using. Unlike XP which you use at present, Windows is no longer a memory hog and more modern systems use memory much differently. You have a thing called pagefile in that PC, where part of the hard drive is used as your memory. This is what slows you down; we no longer need pagefile...or vast amounts of memory.

4. Intel i7 - I can't blame you as I like the best as well. I have 3 systems in my office around me that average 5-7 Grand each...but I get all this stuff for free as I test it all. The truth is, you need an i3, nothing more. You will gain no benefit from an i5 or i7 whatsoever. There is not a computer pro in the world that can tell the diffference between i3, i5 or i7 during typical PC use....nobody. This is exactly the same with memory.

5. Hard Drive versus SSD - Anyone buying a hard drive in this day and age with a PC is just crazy. If you wonder how fast an SSD is in your computer... ask yourself why your iPhone or Galaxy is so fast, yet your PC takes so long to start. It is because all cell phones contain flash memory (SSDs) that increases the speed of typical operations so much that it is almost unbelievable. Do you know that most people spend 2 or more days of their lives each year waiting for a typical computer to start whereas, SSDs start in 15 seconds flat. They start word instantly. They make your system a totally different PC environment that is almost unbelievable. In short, your PC can be as fast, and faster than your cell phone.

6. Warranty - ALWAYS go Dell business (if you are going with Dell) as they have 3 year next day home repair guaranteed. Your XPS does not have this.

7. Value. The XPS is priced as it is because of the XPS name. Dell ripped out all the quality and support from XPS years ago just for people like you. I am sorry if this is somewhat insulting but it is true. The system I pointed out is $400 or so cheaper and half price right now. It also has dual input (DVI/HDMI) which you will need before long if you stay with those monitors.

ok...done. I am here to help you and genuinely want to. I get paid good money for the input I have provided here...but I do consider this site' members as brothers, due in fact to the great friendships and help I have received here; this is my opportunity to pay it forward I guess. I still remember teaching Wordperfect in Winnipeg so many years ago and an older lady asking me if the $3700 system she was getting at Futureshop was a great deal. It turns out that she simply wanted to learn how to e-mail her sister in Calgary. I am sorry but I see the same here... You have a 250GB HDD that you have only used 50GB of? That tells me that you dont save piks or movies or music and so on...

I'de like to see you in a system that starts and runs so fast that doing all those things is actually very fun. I want to put you in a system that makes you smile every time you use it.

A final note on durability...buying that XPS system will not guarantee that it is long lasting any more than any other system. Parts in that system are of no higher quality than any other. Dell business systems are, in fact, the higher quality systems and this is seen in their warranty. This was once seen in XPS systems but, sadly, it is not now. Their confidence in their systems is reflective of warranty. When they will send someone to your house within 24 hours to fix your PC, you know they dont want it to break down.

You are free to respond, pm or even e-mail me at any time with any questions. I apologize for being so forthright but I do have your best interest in mind, just as much as I hate seeing someone taking the wrong path for what they really need. I will stick by big uke nose out now eheheh....

Last edited by AllFlash; 12-23-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:35 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Les and Stan, thank you once again for hanging in there and helping with this decision.

Believe me when I say I appreciate your help in educating me, even thought it is frustrating sometimes trying to figure out the jargon and having to do a google search to figure out some of the terminology.

I believe the XPS 8900 is a nice pc and yes, more than I need even if I do think long term, and in my eyes, it's easily up gradable in 5 years. I also understand what you're saying Stan in that it maybe more feasible to spend $850.00 every 5 years than $1400.00 every 10. I also understand what you're both saying in that why would you pay extra for a graphic's card when you're using 2 old 19" flat screen monitors?

I do however have a concern about the OptiPlex 9020 micro in that I'm not sure it will support the two brother laser printers I have hooked up to my present pc as well as the two monitors I presently have. Yes the micro doesn't impress me either, but maybe size doesn't matter.

I've tried out several pc in stores and so far none have really impressed me re speed so I wonder if I'll be disappointing in the Optiplex as having several window open and still have the pc working fast does matter.

Guys, I know I've used up a lot of your time and with this being the busy time of year I'm glad you took the time.

As for "hopefully see you in 2016", count on it!

Thanks

EDIT:

I just read your message after posting mine Les, thanks once again. As for only having 50gb on my hd, I do have music as well as U-tube video's and I find it lags quite a bit which is the reason I wanted a much faster pc.

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 12-23-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

One more question if I may, on the original XPS 8900 it states it has a "2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive + 32GB M.2 SSD Cache" and in another detail it states "2TB Hard Drive + 32GB Solid State Drive"

I thought SSD drives don't translate into RPM's and I thought the original XPS 8900 I looked at wasn't a SSD?
Old 12-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

The XPS8900 comes with a traditional HDD 2TB drive, but the system has an integrated 32GB flash drive as well.

While all your data resides on the 2TB drive, the system is configured to use the 32GB SSD flash drive like a page file so that access to data is faster.

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 12-23-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:38 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

It is a 2TB hard drive with a 32GB SSD that has been enabled as a cache for the SSD. The SSD is only being used to speed up very basic system operations such as startup and shut down. It is not being used as a SSD, but rather in a way...memory.

What this cache is supposed to do is to learn your most common activities, store these in the cache, and access them from the cache when you need them, making things faster. It is a false positive that doesn't do what it should as it does speed up the route to get the info, but the info still has to come from the slow hard drive.

It is all about access time. A hard drive might typically take up to 9ms to get a piece of information, or execute a file. An SSD takes 0.02ms. The kicker is that a hard drive can only pick up information in pieces, so if it is a large file, you have to multiply the 9ms by the number of trips that must be made to get the info. An SSD is like a pipeline. It takes .02ms to get the info, which is returned like a pipeline in one run. This is why it takes longer than a minute to start your computer with a hard drive...and 15 seconds with a SSD.

Now...add to this that there is no mechanical movement with a SSD so it is completely silent. It's also much cooler than a hard drive so you have much less, if any, fan use in your PC.

How is that for an intro to SSDs?

Last edited by AllFlash; 12-23-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:58 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Thanks Stan and Les,

I did an online chat with Dell and they told me that the 32 was SSD cache but I didn't understand that until you both explained it to me. I asked if I could add a secondary 128GB SSD drive and they told me they couldn't, but I could once I purchased and took ownership of the PC.

Guys, I like the idea of a SSD so maybe that's an option, although I'll never utilize 2TB HDD, which seems a waste.

Bottom line is they told me all in for the XPS 8900 to my door would be $1397.97, which didn't get me excited so I passed on the deal, but not before they got my phone number.

Thanks again guys, you're the best.

Ok,where is that "Thanks" buttom when you need it.

Thanks Button, Press Here.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:37 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Update,

For those members that helped in making my decision I wanted to let you know that I did purchase a Dell XPS 8900 and in the options menu I opted for a 240 GB SSD Internal 2.5" Sata 6GB/s drive as well as a Ultrasharp 24" U2414H Monitor. Delivery should be in 2 weeks.

The video card is AMD Radeon HD R9 370 4GB GDDR5, which I believe supports 3 monitors so I'll still use the existing two Dell 19" monitors. Oh and yes, I went way over budget.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:46 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Congratulations and all that matters is that you got what you want. It is quite the system and you will love your choice. You did buy a monster of a system my friend. Once it comnes in, you may have to find the right cords to get all 3 monitors up and running.

Always here to help if you need any help at all.

Last edited by AllFlash; 12-28-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:38 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

AllFlash

Thanks Les, I ordered it online through the Dell chat which was a new experience. I'm not sure how they will configure the optional SSD drive but I guess they know best. I other options was the pc below but I think it's more a gamer pc and since it didn't have an optical drive I didn't think it would suite my needs better. I liked it as the processor was 4.4.

As for software, I'm able to get a new licensed copy of Office Professional 2013 for $25.00, so that's a good starting point, I now need to find a Antivirus program. I see many on sale at Staples for 75% off but I don't know which is the better option.

As for the cables, I know I'll have to get two for the existing Dell 19" so I'll have to figure that out.

Dell Alienware X51 R3

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 12-28-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:55 PM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
AllFlash

Thanks Les, I ordered it online through the Dell chat which was a new experience. I'm not sure how they will configure the optional SSD drive but I guess they know best. I other options was the pc below but I think it's more a gamer pc and since it didn't have an optical drive I didn't think it would suite my needs better. I liked it as the processor was 4.4.

As for software, I'm able to get a new licensed copy of Office Professional 2013 for $25.00, so that's a good starting point, I now need to find a Antivirus program. I see many on sale at Staples for 75% off but I don't know which is the better option.

As for the cables, I know I'll have to get two for the existing Dell 19" so I'll have to figure that out.

Dell Alienware X51 R3
Don't waste your money paying for an antivirus... Get AVAST or AVG as they are FREE and the best in the business.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:19 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Thanks AllFlash, for the suggestion on the AVAST or AVG antivirus. The pc comes with 1 year McAfee but it maybe better to disable it and run the AVG etc.

I just ran into a problem with the Dell order. Generally any add on options such as Ram, Video Card, HD etc that I purchase along with the pc (in other words "internal") they always install before delivery. However I just received the SSD drive but not the pc so I'm now responsible to install it once the pc arrives. I called customer support and told them of my problem, they apologized and told me tech support would help me with the install once I set up the pc. Since I'm not pc savvy, I'm not comfortable with opening up a new pc and doing the install along with re configuring to have the SSD run off of windows 10.

I asked if I can cancel the order and they told me it's easy...........REALLY? Do you believe Dell tech support can walk someone that only opens up a pc to vacuum it, to install a ssd drive and reconfigure it to work off of the operating system, without screwing it all up? Or are they just saying this so I don't cancel the order?
Old 01-06-2016, 02:31 AM
use2bl8
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Frank,
Physically adding the SSD into the computer case would not be that difficult, the newer case may have a mounting location for the 2.5" drive. There are mounting brackets to fit it into a 3.5 hard drive bay. There is a good chance you won't even need a screwdriver if the case is toolless. After that there are only two wired connections, one for power the other for SATA and a careful look at the conectors will reveil they only go on one way.
Newer SSD drives are using a M.2 connector which is more like seating RAM, there is no mounting or cables, it just clicks into a socket.

However, just installing the SSD won't do you much good unless you make it your main drive, where the OS (Windows 10), applications and files are stored. This requires a temporarly booting with a special CD-ROM or USB bootdisk, then making an copy of the HDD to the SSD drive. Since they are a different size the program will need to account for that. Many years ago I used a self-made DOS boot disk with a program with Norton Ghost to do this. There are newer programs out now but I would ask Dell if the technician will walk you through this step by step as its not easy for the unexperenced to figure out. There is one last step in making sure the computer would then boot from the SSD, you will know its working as the computer will only take about 30 seconds to fully boot to the desktop as aposed to several minutes. There is one final step in reforming the HDD so it becomes useful for storage of large files, or as a backup location.

With Dell's assurance they will walk you through this and the helpful people on this board, I would lean towards not canceling the order and getting the computer you have your mind set on. On the other hand you are ordering a complete computer from them and having it shipped in pieces is not very good customer service.

Jeff
Old 01-06-2016, 07:13 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Thanks for the reply Jeff, based on your detailed explanation (which I appreciate), it sounds as though the hardware is easier to install then the software. I'm wondering if I can do the hardware install and Dell tech support (with my permission) can gain access to my pc and do the software portion while I sit back and watch?

I agree that I did order a complete pc, but I did add on the SSD drive. Maybe I should have been more clear by stating, "please install before delivery".

I'm dreading calling Dell tech support once the pc arrives and having to deal with the software portion as I can already feel my frustration level rising. Receiving a new pc should be a fun process, I'll let you know when the fun begins.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Frank.

I'm not going to say what I want to say, but I am shocked that Dell would even send you an incomplete system. Dell is not supposed to be a DIY when you buy a full blown computer system. At the very least, I would have expected them to send a tech to your place to install the drive and the OS for you.

If you need any help, I'd be happy to assist you with this. For us nerds that know how to do this, it is really easy and straight forward.

Should be as simple as mounting the drive in the system, popping in the DVD that comes with the system, turning it on and then letting it do it's thing with very little input from you. You might have to hit enter a few times. All in the process shouldn't take more than an hour or 2.

Stan.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Stan.

Thanks for the reply.

You make it sound so easy, the pc is in transit and should be here around the 11th. I'd prefer not to bother anyone so I'll give Dell Tech support a try. As for the pc, it actually is a complete system in that it comes with a 2TB 7200 rpm, hard drive, I choose one of the pull down options and added a 240 GB SSD drive for $115.00 and assumed it would be installed and operate as the primary drive. Did I word that correctly? In other words, it will operate as a complete system without the added SSD.

This is what I ordered.

Dell XPS 8900

6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
Windows 10 Home 64bit English
16GB Dual Channel DDR4 2133MHz (8GBx2)
2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
AMD Radeon™ HD R9 370 4GB GDDR5
Blu-ray Combo Drive (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)
Dell KB216 Wired Keyboard, English
Dell Laser Mouse
802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0, Dual Band, 2x2
Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro

Optional;

PNY XLR8 CS2111 - Solid state drive - 240 GB - internal - 2.5-inch - SATA 6Gb/s
Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2414H

I'm a bit embarrassed in that I know how to take a C3 completely apart and put it back together again (body off resto) , but I'm an idiot when it comes to pc's.

Thanks for the offer Stan, I hope I don't have to post for help come next week.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking For a New PC.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Ah so what Dell did was just send you a 2nd drive. In all likelihood, the 2TB will be the primary with the OS.

Offer stands Frank. If I can help in anyway as I'm relatively close by.

Stan.

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 01-06-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:39 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
Ah so what Dell did was just send you a 2nd drive. In all likelihood, the 2TB will be the primary with the OS.

Offer stands Frank. If I can help in anyway as I'm relatively close by.

Stan.
So you make house calls? What ya doing tomorrow night?
Old 01-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dodosmike
So you make house calls? What ya doing tomorrow night?
Depends on the problem Mike. Setting up a new PC is a no brainer for me so I'll help out if I can.

One thing I won't do is remove viruses. That's the one job that's part of my job, that I absolutely hate with a passion. I usually refer people to geek squad for that. Besides, the only sure fire way to get rid of a virus is to wipe the drive clean and start from scratch.

And it's not like I was going to do the actual work. I was going to teach Frank how easy it is on the hardware side of things. I'm all for empowering people to do for themselves. Especially the easy stuff, like setting time and the recording time on a vcr. Remember those days?

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 01-06-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking For a New PC.